All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Where does depreciation appear on etax

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of HiruniKaluarachchiHiruniKaluarachchi
    @hirunikaluarachchi

Hi all,

I have the following values from my depreciation report: 

Plant $4,769.14

Low Value Pool $807.73

Capital Works Allowance $4,305.41

Total $9,882.28

We are a bit lost as to which items to list these numbers on etax.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hiruni

Profile photo of Simon PlummerSimon Plummer
    Participant
    @plummer

Hi Hiruni,

Plant and Capital Works is in the individual property section of the 'Rent' income part. So where you claim all of your normal deductions for each individual property.

There is a LVP section within the Deductions part.

Simon

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

HI Hiruni

Welcome to the forum and i hope you enjoy your time with us.

I have too say i think the simple answer is don't use ETax but get yourself a property based Accountant.

I see it so often that clients try and save a dollar or two when realistically if they invested i building a team around they would be far more successful.

It is not a matter of what you can claim it is a matter of what you might miss claiming that will cost you.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Lawyers make more money than the original cost would have been by fixing up DIY mistakes! I guess accounts too. Amending 2 to 4 years of tax returns for example.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Modernity InvestingModernity Investing
    Participant
    @mark-coburn

Terryw and QLD007 are both spot on.

DIY is for small jobs around the house.

You really do need a team of professionals and one of my Rules on Investing goes: You Don't Know What You Don't Know. So when your doing something as key as your tax (as an investor) who knows what you are missing? because you won't know!

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of Simon PlummerSimon Plummer
    Participant
    @plummer

In my opinion I think there are some benefits in doing your own tax. If your returns are simple of course. For me, I feel I have learnt in detail the way our tax system works and how to strategically use the rules to my advantage.

I think if I had refrained from learning this type of stuff and just left it to a Tax Agent then I would have made some decisions from a less informed perspective. I have friends who just 'dump' statements with their Tax Agent every year without ever understanding the rules. I see this as a disadvantage for them as they don't strategise in this respect.

The deals I have been involved with are simple though and no doubt if they became complex I would use a Tax Agent. As said above, its going to be cheaper in the long run to get them right the first time!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Plummer,

This is a good point. Years ago I used to do my own rate returns and work it all out for myself and then give it over to the tax agent for processing. He always found things I have missed and this usually was enough to pay for the return. Doing it myself and reading the tax packs was the best way of learning.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I used to do mine when it was simple. But property rules are ever changing.

I don't have time to keep up with the rules. I want my properties to give me passive income. I get it ready and know what's going on but I'd rather pay someone else to get it all organise for me and check that I am getting everything I am entitled to get.

I've got better things to do really (like travel the world).

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Would never do my own as mine are just too darn complicated.

My Accountant is a property expert and worth every single dollar.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

And that's the difference Qlds007. Finding a GREAT PROPERTY savvy accountant.

I thought I found a good one until I asked him (early days of investing) if I should get a depreciation report. His answer- Up to you. It was then I started searching for a new accountant. I LOVE my accountant (well at tax return time anyway.  

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.