All Topics / Overseas Deals / Global REI Basics – Part 1 – Choosing your Target Market

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

International property investing basics – Part 1 

(originally published in REI Wealth Magazine, available on the Apple Itunes Store)

Main takeaway – while many would argue that the only basis for choosing a target market should be its financials, I would argue that, while this may spell the time to buy into or sell out of a particular market, current financial conditions are exactly that – current. Meaning, they come and go, as local and global economies will always have their ups and downs.

Regardless of this more temporary criteria, I would venture that wise investors should choose their market, long term, based on their personality and affinity to its business environment, all the while remembering to always –

a) hedge and diversify into several suitable arkets, to avoid depending on a single economy, as well as be able to capitalize on its swings

b) be in it for the long term – that is to say, not invest with money needed back in a hurry, have ample reserves and contingency plans, be able to ride things out, so we can weather the storms (which will always be there) – and still be around to profit when things go up again.

Would love to hear your thoughts and comments! :)

Ziv Magen- Manager, Asia-Pacific
    NTI – Global Real Estate – Japanese Property
    http://www.nippontradings.com

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

Hi Ziv,

Thanks for your sharing. I agree with your post.

Decisions of where and what to buy should be based on the end goal of the investor. I do still believe that having the right team is very important. I will always keep stressing that fact as I know when that storm hits a good team can pull together and make things happen without costing the investor.

Thanks and have a great day.

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

Thanks, Engelo, glad you liked it. Completely agree, team is essential – covering it extensively in parts 2 and 3 of the series – stay tuned!

Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of Modernity InvestingModernity Investing
    Participant
    @mark-coburn

Great post also. Creating your own rules is very important. I have a set of investing rules I never break. These rules have been developed in our family over two generations, between my late mother and me. We call them Coburn’s Rules and they have got us through a lot of transactions and saved our bacon a couple times as well. Here are a few of them.

Coburn's Rules on Risk:

1. Always protect your investment (only ever risk your return)

2. Investments must be balanced for Income (yield), growth (capital gain) and depreciation (tax credits)

3. Don't invest in "one employer” towns (i.e. mining)

4. Invest in liquid markets (don't buy where the average days on market to sell are over 90)

5. Choose one thing and get good at it. (Dabblers will always get burned.)

If you would like the rest of Coburn's Rules email me and I will send you them.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SteppingStoneWealth

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

+10 Ziv. You're the most subtle spruiker on here… wink 

Your article was a luvly shepherding piece to guide the punter into your neck of the woods and lo and behold they'll find a jolly good fellow who'll look after all their investing needs in the land of deflation, crazy politicians and an unfolding nuclear disaster.

It's one of the better shmooze jobs I've seen in a while.

Looking forward to Pt 2 & 3 if only for the entertainment value.

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

Awww, freckle, coming from you, that's bordering on a compliment.

if you do follow parts 2 and 3, you'll realize that I'm using us and our market merely as an example on how to setup your investing infrastructure IN YOUR MARKET OF CHOICE. Obviously, I refer to where I operate and am experienced in, as these are my best points of conjunction. I could discuss Singapore, Germany or Switzerland, as they all have similarities business environment-wise, but I have no experience there, and I don't tend to pretend to know what I don't (as some do). Rest assured, when I'll have experience on those markets, I'll use them as examples too.

in any case, I'm glad you liked the piece!

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @engelorumora

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

Ziv and Freckle

Love you guys ;)

Can you please include me on this banter.

I believe if us 3 were to sit down over a nice piccolo latte somewhere in Milano lol I am sure we could come up with a great real estate business idea ;)

I will leave Jay out as he is already out of our league haha

Ok let mi stir the pot a little.

Freckle,

I remember you saying last year that there will be another big collapse bigger than the first one. Still hasn't happened my friend in fact the market has started moving up here in the US. Hedge funds have been buying big in most cities squeezing the smaller turn key companies to literally door knock when looking at buying.

Florida especially has seen signficant growth. Some statistics even show parts of Detroit recovering.

We haven't seen much movement here in KC in the areas we target but we are paying much more than what we were 1 year ago.

Living in Kansas City for the past year I can comfortably say that the American people are very resilient and there is no doubt that the US economy will get better and recover.

I am looking forward to the stats and statistics and I will try to counter with some of mine an join you guys.

Thanks and I wish you both a great day.

ps. At least we can keep the overseas section active so when the Australian market tanks 50% everyone will jump here haha :)

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle
    engelorumora wrote:

Freckle,

I remember you saying last year that there will be another big collapse bigger than the first one. Still hasn't happened my friend in fact the market has started moving up here in the US.

Had a family friend who died of cancer a few years back. Right up to 3 days before he died he believed he was getting better and was making plans for the future.

The collapse is happening as we speak. The reason it doesn't appear to be a collapse is you and many others think it has to happen quickly and all at once. It's also being masked by $85/mth in FED stimulus. Without SNAP cards there'd be 47 million Americans lined up at soup kitchens.

Participant
    @engelorumora

if the US collapses the whole world collapses also.

What do we do then?

Thanks

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle
    engelorumora wrote:
    if the US collapses the whole world collapses also.

What do we do then?

Thanks

Go back and study the 1930's collapse. It will give you an idea if the way things will happen. It won't be exactly the same but you can get some semblance of what and how things will unfold. Also look at post WW2 change in reserve currency from the British Pound to the US dollar. The US dollar will lose its reserve status possibly within 10 years. It's already lost 40% of global exchange transactions over the last decade or so and that trend is continuing as other currencies especially the RNB grow in importance. As the USD diminishes so will American influence. The likely outcome is war. Syria is the current flash point in an attempt to protect the petro dollar and US influence in the region.

We live in interesting times.

Participant
    @engelorumora

Thanks Freckle,

Your reply is much appreciated.

What do you suggest is the best and safest investment in the current climate?

Also, your thoughts on the Australian property market. Does it offer good opportunities?

Thanks and I am looking forward to your reply mate.

ps. I am not to keen on stacking up on bars of silver haha

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle
    engelorumora wrote:

What do you suggest is the best and safest investment in the current climate?

I tend to think more in terms of speculating rather than investing. There are no safe or good places. Much of the sentiment within markets is about chasing what yield can be found with an emphasis on capital preservation. 

Quote:
    Also, your thoughts on the Australian property market. Does it offer good opportunities?

I think Abbot will favor the property market in general however Joyce is warning about a bubble forming which is contrary to his commentary over the last few years. In the main I think the unsophisticated investors will loose ground. Gains will be more about luck than anything else. Sydney is the only market worth considering. Has been for a while but that could all change if Australia starts to struggle. There's a huge amount of Chinese money flowing into Sydney and I can't see that changing anytime soon. The Chinese tend to buy where investors don't though and that complicates the decision process if you're trying to chase the segments of the market most likely to appreciate.

Quote:
    ps. I am not to keen on stacking up on bars of silver haha

There are pro's and con's to holding PM's or PM miners through shares. It's just another investment that can be used in an overall strategy. 

Participant
    @engelorumora

Hi Freckle.

Thanks for your reply.

I just dont know how much higher can the market keep going in Australia. The bubble has to burst eventually. Do you think the market could ever decline as much as it did in the US?

I hope it does as I know every little town like my back pocket in NSW haha

Spent many sleepless nights driving around with Nathan Birch looking at all kinds of properties haha

Thanks.

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle
    engelorumora wrote:

I just dont know how much higher can the market keep going in Australia.

Don't think of any national market as a whole. It's a collection of segments, some rising some falling some going sideways. It helps if you look at where a suburb is in relation to its cycle. New, established, maturing, decay, rejuvenation. Cycles vary in length and intensity from place to place but they invariably follow the same pattern.

Quote:
    The bubble has to burst eventually.

Again part of the cycle. The trick is to figure out duration and strength of each component in the boom bust cycle. How you play it determines your success or not.

Quote:
    Do you think the market could ever decline as much as it did in the US?

Possibly but it will vary from segment to segment. Washington DC didn't miss a beat from memory. 

Quote:
    I hope it does as I know every little town like my back pocket in NSW haha

I know where all my fingers and thumbs are but I still hit them with a hammer from time to time. 

Quote:
    Spent many sleepless nights driving around with Nathan Birch looking at all kinds of properties haha

Your streets ahead of the crowd.. 

There will be many small booms and busts as volatility increases. The big one will come eventually but calling the timing is almost impossible. 

Participant
    @engelorumora

Thanks mate,

Pleasure reading.

Have a great day

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle

I've talked about this many times before but it looks like the US market is about to take a hit. Jay's already seen the writing on the wall and moved to protect his equity and gains from the last few years. I suspect those who invested over the last 3-5 years are at risk of losing all or part of their current valuations if this thing goes where I think it will go.

Housing "Recovery" Endgame Escalates

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs

Freckle I read that article today as well… And when the hedge funds moved in and bounced the smaller investors out and the small to mid turn key operator out of the market in ATL. SoCAL. Vegas PHX etc.. I for one was at the court house steps watching these companies and their minions bid on properties and having been in this bizz basically all my life I was somewhat skeptical how they could maintain that velocity,,,,As these homes are scattered all over the markets so you just have logistical issues .. Its not like buying a 250 unit apartment that is sitting on one square block  buy 250 homes and they will be scattered over 40 or 50 square miles… Hard to get efficanies either as the homes are all different and need  different rehab scopes.   My thought would be the big boys would buy them,,, They did and now they don't know quite what to do with them.  They can't sell up as they are the top of the food chain… So they may bed forced to sell down if they want to exit… So the next wave of opportunity could be Hedge fund bail outs  they cut and run… Prices won't be like banks that hemorraged and were forced to cut prices way below reason.. Hedge funds are not under any government mandate to balance their portfolios.. But they will look at lost opportunites I would think… So anyone guess where this all goes… We did very well in atlanta and have our other portfolios being prepped for sale, I would think we are 12 ro 36 months from a complete liquidation.                        In addition I think the foreclosure business is changed almost forever.. So many homes bought for cash and or if they are US buyers rates in the 3 to 5% range  you will not see those homes being lost… There is no subprime anymore and that was the bulk of your OREO inventory at the end of the day…What I predict you will see is TAX SALES especially in markets were the rental game is a really tough one IE any of the real rough parts of any big Mid western or East coast city that were hammered by the less than forthright turn key guys.. I think you call them spruiekers… all those homes sold for cash to these folks they will get tired of the money pits walk away and the properties will be sold at tax auction because there is no bank debt to foreclose.. I see a huge up tick in TAx sales in the next 5 to 10 years.

Blocked
    @freckle
    jayhinrichs wrote:
    . I see a huge up tick in TAx sales in the next 5 to 10 years.

What's the percentage mix of corporate investors and private investors…50/50????

What's not being talked about is all the vacant HF inventory… 50% by some accounts. I'm only seeing comment about monetising occupied rentals at this stage.

If HF's panic there could be a race for the exits and that'll destabilise a fairly fragile market. I just don't see enough investor dollars there that could make a dent in the quantity of inventory likely to hit the market over the next few years. Not above a 30% discount anyway.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.