All Topics / Help Needed! / Property developer verses a Property investor.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of PimobpiPimobpi
    Participant
    @pimobpi

Hi,

Wonderful forum. Well done to all of you that help – especially to the regular users.

Property developer verses a Property investor.
    Intention is everything…….however…….seems to me that there are a lot of grey areas. I would keep everything as simple and never over complicate but I have some questions that I’d like to hear your views on.

Q1. Can property developers (running a business) claim loan interest payments against their personal income (in a similar way to property investors)?
    Eg: Buy land, pay the monthly interest fees and claim the interest against their personal income tax at EOFY.

Q2. Can a developer rent out their new developments if the market does not suit selling immediately after building? If so, whom can they rent to? Can they rent to their child for market rent (just as if it was an IP)?

Q3. What stops a developer from renting a new development to their adult child & then moving in with them (the child or parent may require assistance or care or just companionship)? Doesn’t this scenario fly in the face of the whole reason why developers develop instead of investors buying to invest? Can developers still get tax deductions & claim depreciation whilst in this position? Doesn’t this scenario artificially increase the deductions and the depreciation benefits for the developer? Is this illegal if the intention is not to reduce or to sidestep tax?

Q4. Can the developer choose to live in one of the new developments to help keep their business afloat (by not paying rent or a mortgage elsewhere)?

Q5. Must the property become the developers PPOR if they were to move into it? If so, only one PPOR claim can be made at any one time, what if the developer already has a PPOR? Is the answer simply that there would be no deductions or depreciations made for the property that is not being rented or sold by the developer because they are staying in it? In that case, are developers at a disadvantage if the market is down and they are holding onto a product that won’t sell?

Q6. If developers are not allowed to stay in their own developments unless it becomes their PPOR, do they simply return the GST credits to the ATO, for that particular development and make it their PPOR?

I’ve cheated because I’ve put questions within questions.

Hope you can help.

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Q1-  developers interests on loans are just expenses on their tax statement. So if you have more expenses then income you make a loss. If you worked part time this other income would be counted as income. 

Q2 yes, can rent to anyone they own it, lots of children rent homes off their parents some at market rate and some below. 

Q3 if you built the house you can do what you want with it you own it. If you rented the house to your kid then moved in technically you'd only be able to claim half the interest, deprication etc likewise if you had another person in there it would be 2/3 claim able. 

Q4 once again, you built the home you can live wherever you like. If you want to roll all the profits from selling 4 houses and live in the 5th house with no debt that Is completly your choice 

Q5 look up the multitude of posts on PPOR's and exemptions. 

Q6 carpenters do this all the time they might build a spec home with intention to resell. Then the market is poor and selling isn't a option, so they move in, they do not claim the gst credits, or the refund if they have. It becomes their PPOR.  And technically if they resold it after they could be still liable to pay profit, over getting their PPOR exemption due to intention. But then they would just claim it on owner builder if they hadnt done a project in the last 5 years 

Ie say they were building to live in 

Profile photo of PimobpiPimobpi
    Participant
    @pimobpi

Hi wilko1,

Thanks for your reply.  Ok, that makes a bit more sense to me – please excuse my ignorance about it all.  

I will meet with my accountant this week to discuss. If you are able to reply again – My scenario is this.

*Wife and I own our current PPOR outright. 

*GST registered business was setup.

*Land purchased with wife as tenants in common 99%, 1%.  Security is the land itself, deposit paid for in cash. LVR 80%

*Land attracted GST as it was originally a council reserve.

*GST was paid in cash and credits were claimed back in BAS (after ATO performed a small audit to confirm that we are running a business enterprise).

*I'm an employee of a large organization. Wife works as a casual.

*Our future plans are to get DA and to sub the land into 3 lots & to build 3 detached houses.  We'll also be claiming the GST credits during the building process.

*If all works out, we would sell to make a profit and return 1/11th of the profits to ATO.

*If selling after the build is not a profitable option, we may need to rent out all 3.  (rent 1 to my son and the other 2 to lease applicants).

*We were wondering what would happen if we were to sell our current PPOR and just stay with our son.   I am guessing that this happens all the time but I'm unsure about how it is perceived by ATO.  I don't want to make any big mistakes tax wise.  I think that renting to son and living with him gives me more options down the track when the market becomes suited for selling – I'd still be able to claim building depreciation and the income loss against my income tax (I think that's correct).  I am not sure about your answer to Q1.  If I make a loss, can I still claim a tax deduction for that?  

Overall, from what I think you are saying with your reply, I am not obligated to make this 3rd my PPOR (I have the choice because I am the owner and can do that if I want or not). I can choose to keep renting it out until it is ready to sell.  

Can I not rent out the 3rd dwelling to my son and still stay at the location (with my family) and not make it my PPOR either?  It is obviously not available as a rental if that is the case, does that mean that I would be subject to the same restrictions as a Property investor has if they do not make a property available for rent?

Sorry again.  My accountant may have to help me understand this, using simple pictures. hehe.

Cheers.

Participant
    @wilko1

You would return 1/11th of the margin not of the profit. And because you bought the property with gst initially. You won't be able to sell via the margin scheme. As this is only applicable to properties that were bought not subject to gst. So I this case your gst is going to be 1/11 of your total sale price. Ie you sell 5 houses each for 500k each. You'll be up for 45k per home. But your gst credits will include building costs, land division costs, initial purchase costs. 

With your whole living with your son thing.

If you choose to say you are living there that's your choice. But there's nothing wrong with staying in your sons home him paying you rent you getting your deductions. If anyone asks your just there because your hot water service blew up and you need to have a shower everyday. Your PPOR is whatever home you designate to be your PPOR, 

You could have a house in Queensland that has been rented out for 6 years. And you could be living away from home at your sons because you have work in his area or his state. As long as you to back to your PPOR within 7 years it can continue to be your PPOR. 

By the way I will say this about your development. If you don't have enough profit that you can sell all three homes at 10'percent less then what you think they are worth. Then you should make sure you have your costs nailed down. You should be able to develop and sell properties into a softening market by cutting your profit just to make a profit at all and move on

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I think you need some proper tax advice. Whether someone is a 'developer' or a investor will depend on a lot more than intention.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @pimobpi

Hi Terryw,

Thank-you for your update.  

Yes, I have organized time with my accountant (this week) to discuss many matters.

I also want to add that your online entries are fantastic and would have helped so many lives.  

I wish you all the best. 

Participant
    @pimobpi

Thanks wilko1,

It's always great to read your updates.  I appreciate the time you have taken – you do make sense.  

I've setup another meeting with my accountant to hash out all my options so that I can see which one works best for our situation and risk profile.  

You are right, development is a business and it should be profitable whether the market is up or down.  I guess the onus is on the developer to have the skills to put it all together and add value either way.  I am just starting and wanted to forge some exit strategies in case things go a little haywire.  

Thanks again for helping out. Best of luck to you.

Participant
    @terryw

Be very wary of people in foreign countries offering loans.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @pimobpi

Thanks Terryw. 

I knew that writing that we were debt free (on our PPOR) would get us some unwanted attention!   We did it the "delayed gratification" style – No flat screen TV's. A bit boring but works a treat if you want to buy property sooner.

Fortunately, wife and I are pretty good savers and that means knowing how to hold onto our money.  Saving money for the sake of just saving didn't feel right to me as it felt easy and that's when I knew that something was wrong.  I don't think that investment should always be difficult but making money takes quite a bit of mind power and effort or all of us would be wealthy by now.    

These overseas (and some closer to home) offerings don't penetrate through to us easily.  Always happy for your advice though as it seems that your understand of asset protection supersedes ours by a factor of 10 or more.    Your tax law knowledge (especially in trusts) has been golden to read about.  We certainly think a lot about asset protection and we hope that most others are doing the same.  Some of that knowledge was very handy when we got the loan for our land.   I still haven't created a trust but it'll happen when the time becomes right for us – knowing how to keep money can sometimes mean that, the ones who are able to take it away from us, are the most cunning of all.  A bit like how the only germs people get from hospitals are the strongest, deadliness and the most resilient (all the weaker germs are easily killed by bleach).  Can a trust keep assets protected from germs too?  Kidding. 

Anyhow, sorry to digress – just felt like having fun typing.

Cheers.

Participant
    @terryw

Pimobpi,

Hope you look at some asset protection strategies if you are going to do a development. The protection of what you have is paramount.

Email Me

Participant
    @pimobpi

We agree 100% Terryw,

We think that protecting what we have is paramount too.  

We have looked and discussed a few avenues that we could take.  

I have a fair understanding of unit, discretionary or hybrid trusts to control our assets but "fair" understanding doesn't cut it because it's far more complicated than I suppose or even more complicated that I can suppose.   Maybe I just haven't spoken to the right trust experts yet.  I'll investigate my options in more detail soon because we do trust your opinions.  

We have looked at best protection from banks etc by not cross contaminating our loans but we should look deeper at "arms length" ownership protection strategies as what we are planning to do regarding development will expose us to more risks that what we are used to as plain employees.    

I can tell that there is no one answer to asset protection as they all have their pro's and con's –  Do you think that you can come up with a strategy for us based on what you have read about my status above that incorporates a good balance of protection and retains the ability for us to cope with losses?  Pardon me if this is impossible to do without knowing more details about my situation and my goals, I just wanted to know whether you have something on your mind regarding what I should be doing in particular.  Maybe a simpler way to answer  is: Does anything sand out to you as a must do in my situation?

Cheers.

Participant
    @terryw

Yes there are various strategies you could implement to strengthen asset protection. Some cheap and easy to implement others costly and complex. This needs to be considered in conjunction with estate planning, tax, stamp duty, land tax etc.

Email Me

Participant
    @wilko1

You also have to look at the borrowing implications of using those said asset protection vehicles. As hybrid trusts are very difficult to lend to. Unit trusts are a bit easier but most likely will be at commercial lending i.e. 80 percent or less. And discretionary will provide up to 95 percent with personal garuntees (almost a requirement with everything now)

When everyone talks about cross callaterelising loans. They just want you to set it up. So that instead of the bank choosing what to sell in the event of a default that they have to go through all your dominos before the get the last one.

Iie crossing loans with PPOR whilst perhaps ok for a start. You don't want to continue like that. You can garunteee that in the event of a default or a decrease in property prices  they are just going to sell the property with no debt first. 

Participant
    @terryw

Hybrids and Unit trust lending is fine. at residential rates at 90 to 95% LVR too. The problems begin when you start wanting the loan in a different name to the owner of the property (such as company trustee and individual borrowing to buy the units). This is more restrictive and probably not necessary in this situation.

Email Me

Participant
    @pimobpi

I should have entered this forum ages ago – wow – thanks to both of you, for the updates.

Just on trusts, I ruled out creating a unit trusts because I didn't feel that it was at arms length (I could be wrong) so I thought that it wouldn't help my situation to get where I wanted it to.  Then again, maybe I should create a separate entity to perform the development process – Company, trust – will have to investigate further on that.  

My plan is to get a smart mob to draw up plans, present it to council for approval, walk me through the sub process and then I can look for a builder to build them.  Sounds like I am doing nothing but putting in the money !!   Well I guess that is right as I'm also doing it this way to learn the process from head to toe (even though that means missing out on potential savings).  It also reduces the risks for us so it is attractive in our 1st situation. 

Hybrid trusts had the same feel as it was a mix of a unit trust and a family trust (from what I remember).  Again, there must be very good situations when setting up a hybrid trust would be affective but I don't believe that it included my situation at this point in time.  

Family trusts, on the other hand, looked like they ticked all the boxes, for my circumstances, but there was an issue I believe with how loses are managed within the trust.  As I am  starting out with investment and development I feel that I need to have more assets before such a setup would match my end goal.  I am confident that I will eventually setup a family trust or similar or many trusts and company's but I think that I'll have to wear the negatives of not creating them now to gain some of the positives of being able to claim against my personal income and taxes.  

I am hoping that I end up spreading assets between all natural and artificial entities, ie: some in my name, some in wife's name, some in both names, some in trusts, some in company's, some in a combination of both.  It looks like I have to start accumulating assets mostly in my name to begin with to try and get a possible boost giving me an opportunity to have enough wealth for further asset protection strategies to function as I want them to.  Sorry if you happen to disagree, just an opinion with the limited knowledge I have on these matters.

BTW: Do you have experience setting up "blood line" trusts?  Is there such a thing? They sound a lot like family trusts to me but are more restrictive.    I can't see the reasoning in restricting a trust that is primarily created to add options.  Let me know what you think.  

Thanks again to all.

Participant
    @terryw

Unit trusts are separate to the individual. Arms length usually is used in the context of entering contracts on commercial terms so a unit holder renting from a unit trust will be arms length if renting at market rates and market terms.

Unit trusts are well worth looking at because of some unique stategies such as
    . Borrowing to buy units and negative gearing.
    2. Selling units without stamp duty in some states.
    3. Ability to use refinancing principal and borrow to buy private expenses and claim the interst.
    . Ability to sell units to a smsf andget tje trust assets into super and the cash of your super out into your hands…

course careful planning and advice is needed.

Email Me

Participant
    @terryw

If you have no private debt then losses in a trust should not be much of an issue for you. Especially in this low interest environment. You would be saving money and gifting it or loaning it to the trust to store in its offset account which wod assist casflow.

BLoodline trusts are generally set up under wills. Ie testamentary trusts. People set them up to try to protect the trust assets from being attacked by gold digging spouses of their children.i think this can work to a certain extent but it does restrict things a bit. Yoi would have to consider all tje circumstances of your situation
    For a trust set up during lifetime there would not be such good asset protection as the trust assets could still be considered assets of the marriage. With a testamentary trust they were assets of the dead parent which makes a bit of a difference.

SORRY for the spelling am grammar. I am sitting on a beach in Krabi thailand.

Email Me

Participant
    @pimobpi

Half your luck – being in Krabi Thailand.  That would be awesome.  It's mandate to get spelling and grammar wrong when doing such things so, yet again, you are correctly "in the zone"..  hehe

Your comments still make more sense than mine do and I am not on a beach.

Thanks for the info.  Will look into trusts further as there are many opportunities to explore.  I have always liked what trust do and their purpose.  I know that some trusts only for tax purposes etc but in particular I like the asset protection and how it can increase the wealth of a whole family.  It's something that resonates as being right for me.  I think that I read somewhere that trusts were created before tax was ever collected which makes sense to me as I feel that they have an independent and many purposes.

I think that I may have figured out where my initial confusion was concerning "PPOR" concerns and how they affected our situation (I may still be wrong but I'll give it a try to explain what I think happens).  

One nominates if a property is or isn't there PPOR (and for how long) at a time after the sale of that property. There can only be one PPOR at any given time (even though there can be a small overlap in some circumstances).  There are rules like the 6 year rule etc however that rule doesn't negate the fact that it is not your PPOR as there are legitimate reasons why someone would want to rent out there PPOR whilst they are working abroad etc.  All that matters is that, at the end of the day, one cannot have their cake and eat it too with respect to not having to pay CGT for the sale of their PPOR and still trying to claim rental expenses against their income by declaring that the same property was also an investment property. That situation is avoided and rightly so as one can only really be deemed as living in one place at any one time and we are rewarded by that fact by still having that "living in" property as being CGT free upon its sale (I am guessing that this PPOR CGT free is Aus tax law and can change sometime in the future – however unlikely). *grin*.  On a serious note: Whether a property is rented out or not rented out does not always mean that it is an investment property or a PPOR (as illustrated by the 6 year rule).  What matters is that the owner follows the rules, in the way that they were intended to be followed, not trying to "trick" the system.  Sorry if I am lost but that's what makes sense to me (at this point) regarding investment property and PPOR and how they are to be treated.

Have fun in the sun.

Participant
    @wilko1

You missed a bit in your last comment.

you can still claim a property as your PPOR and still rent it out and receive the deprecations and deductions ie negative gearing against your income if your renting it out.

Participant
    @wilko1

What it's saying is basically you can only claim your CGT exception on one property at a time with those small overlaps if your moving house etc 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.