All Topics / Help Needed! / Property Manager price rise.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of MikalHowardMikalHoward
    Participant
    @mikalhoward

Hi all,

I have just received a letter from my Property Manager for the contract renewal. Over and above anything else, they have increased their fee from 8% to 8.8%. We have not discussed this, its just printed on the new contract for me to sign.

My question is, is it fair for my Property Manager to increase their fees when I have been asking for the rent to be increased for 6 months? If their excuse to me is the market is flat and the current tenant won't be able to afford it, can mine be the same against their price rise.

Just thought i'd get other opinions.

Cheers,

Mikal

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Mikal

They are welcome to put their fees up.  Equally, you are welcome to take your business elsewhere or negotiate with them.  Nobody is forcing you to sign their new agreement. 

You are welcome to put your rent up.  Equally a tenant is welcome to accept the rise, or move out.  As to whether you would get another tenant quickly depeneds on many factors, including the condition and location of the property, its price, how many tenants are looking for a place to live, and what kind of dwellings people are looking for.  Generally tenants will not move for a $5/week rise. 

If your Property Manager tells you the market is flat, or that your tenant cannot endure a rental hike, this is information you are, in part, paying them to give to you.  I think that most folks can sustain a $5 hike.  If they could not, then they can never afford anything at all out of the ordinary to happen to them ever.  eg get sick, must go to doctor, and purchase a packet of antibiotics. 

I always listen to my PM and factor in what she says, but I don't always do precisely what she says.  It is often a combination of what she thinks and what I think, based on our respective knowledge of the market at the time.

If you want your PM to put the rent up, send him/her an email clearly stating  you want it done and by when. 

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    MikalHoward wrote:
    Hi all,

I have just received a letter from my Property Manager for the contract renewal. Over and above anything else, they have increased their fee from 8% to 8.8%. We have not discussed this, its just printed on the new contract for me to sign.

Quote:

Good post from Jac M above – agree with all of it.

How much rent is the property receiving per week? An increase like that is probably going to be less than a few tax deductible dollars each week. I know that no one likes increased costs – but it's a reality.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow

Hi Mikel,

JacM  has really provided you with some good advice. Depending on what area you are in, it could be true that the rental market is struggling in some areas and booming in others. You will start seeing real estate agencies increase their PM fees for two reasons over the next couple of months:

1) Cost of running real estate business has increased – So to absorb some of the cost increases this is one way to increase revenue.

2) Sales are pretty flat in allot of areas, So agents will increase rates to absorb some sales losses as well.

You have a couple of options,

1) call the agent and say you have received the letter and advise them you are not prepared to work on does rates. But you have to look at your options, if you move to another agency how will the service be? Some times its better to no the devil you know then the devil you dont know

Jpcashflow | JP Financial Group
    http://www.jpfinancialgroup.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your first port of call in finance :)

Profile photo of Amy WhiteAmy White
    Participant
    @amy-white

The price rise won't cost you much anyway.  eg on a $400/wk rent it is a hike of $3.20/wk.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Mikal.

Looks like your own costs just went up too, like the REA.

So you could advise the PM to increase your rent by $5 to cover the PM increase.

Cheers

thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

In NSW it has recently become COMPULSORY for agents to provide professional indemnity insurance – this is (for most other occupations) optional. Blame the government for driving up the cost of doing business.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Scott

Blame the pandemic of litigation lunacy spread and fed upon by the compensation lawyers for that particular cost increase.

Very few brokers or agents can  afford (literally)  to be without Professional Indemnity Insurance nowadays, one claim could cause bankruptcy.

Wish it were otherwise.

Cheers

thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.