All Topics / Help Needed! / A Tough Decision

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of HarryMarcusHarryMarcus
    Participant
    @harrymarcus

Hi all,

I recently purchased (what was intended) to be an IP property (apartment) that I'm renovating, which will hopefully be complete in two or so weeks. Upon completion, I believe I've conservatively manufactured $40-50k.

My PPOR is located within the same suburb and currently has approximately $100k in equity. 

This is where it gets interesting. I intended on renting the new property out however I did some research on CGT and realise that if I move into the property it would be considered a PPOR so will be CGT exempt. 

What I'm unsure of is:

• If I move into the new property, will my old PPoR remain CGT exempt for up to 6 years?
    • How long must I remain in the new property before I can sell it without triggering CGT?

If however, my current PPOR loses its CGT exemption status, would selling it at this point in time to realise the equity in cash and moving on to the new PPOR be a wise idea? It would be a downgrade but if it's a short period of time the exemption of CGT would make it feasible. 

For what it's worth, weekly holding costs of either property are virtually identical.

Some advice to a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Harry

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

re: If I move into the new property, will my old PPoR remain CGT exempt for up to 6 years?

No.  Once you move into another property that you own, your original property is immediately no longer eligible for the exemption.  The only circumstance under which you can sort of have two PPORs on the go at once is if you are in the process of selling one.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    JacM wrote:
    re: If I move into the new property, will my old PPoR remain CGT exempt for up to 6 years?

No.  Once you move into another property that you own, your original property is immediately no longer eligible for the exemption.  The only circumstance under which you can sort of have two PPORs on the go at once is if you are in the process of selling one.

Jac, not neccesarily so. The old PPOR could still be nominated as the main residence and the exemption applied for up to 6 years. Cannot also nominate the new one though.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    HarryMarcus wrote:
    Hi all,

I recently purchased (what was intended) to be an IP property (apartment) that I'm renovating, which will hopefully be complete in two or so weeks. Upon completion, I believe I've conservatively manufactured $40-50k.

My PPOR is located within the same suburb and currently has approximately $100k in equity. 

This is where it gets interesting. I intended on renting the new property out however I did some research on CGT and realise that if I move into the property it would be considered a PPOR so will be CGT exempt. 

What I'm unsure of is:

• If I move into the new property, will my old PPoR remain CGT exempt for up to 6 years?
    • How long must I remain in the new property before I can sell it without triggering CGT?

If however, my current PPOR loses its CGT exemption status, would selling it at this point in time to realise the equity in cash and moving on to the new PPOR be a wise idea? It would be a downgrade but if it's a short period of time the exemption of CGT would make it feasible. 

For what it's worth, weekly holding costs of either property are virtually identical.

Some advice to a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Harry

Moving into the second one immediately could assist you down the track. You won’t know which one will have the most capital growth until much later (maybe they will be similar growth because same suburb). But the good thing is that you don’t have to chose which one you will nominate for the CGT exemption until the year you sell. So if you make sure both could qualify as the main residence then you may be able to wait 6 years and then reassess.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.