All Topics / Help Needed! / purchased ppor

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of dellasdellas
    @dellas

me and my partner have just purchased off the plan a 3 bedroom townhouse to be finished next year around xmas, its taken me a while to get into real estate but im excited and nervous at the same time,its costing us 452k down to 445k after 1st home grant, we have 147k saved is it best to put all this onto our loan, our loan is interest only for 1st 5 years, im on avg income and my partner still studying for 2 more years shes going to be a architech, im 33 shes 23, what our best plan of attack

cheers david

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi David

Buying your first property is always an exiciting time.

What are your longer term plans with this property? Do you think it will ever be turned into an IP?

Being on an investment property forum, I assume you're looking to get into purchasing investment properties in the future?

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of dellasdellas
    @dellas

i think we will be in this house for 7-10 yrs, once we settle in next step is to buy a IP for sure, r we best to put all our savings into our PPOR now?

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Dellas,

On the proviso you are disciplined with your money I would put minimum cash into the loan and put the remaining funds into an offset account.. This maximise your flexibility going forward and gives you a cash buffer should the wheels fall off your life at some stage in the future.

Should you or your partner need to move for employment opportunities this structure also gives you relative freedom to do this without any major tax issues going forward.

Doing this also gives you and your partner time to firm up your long term property plans.

Profile photo of dellasdellas
    @dellas

the bank will give us 351k so u think we borrow the full amount, put the remaining 93k we owe from our savings and the remaining 54k saved into offset account, we r new at all this so glady appreciate the advice. we were going to borrow only 297k and put the rest of our savings as a deposit?

@derek

Hi Dellas,

Given this is your first property and you have no other security you will need a cash deposit.

Reading your post above it would appear as if  the bank is lending at 80% – did you enquire about borrowing at a higher loan to value ratio?

In this scenario you are using $93K of your savings and retain $54K

If, for example, you borrowed 90% of purchase price you would borrow $405K – because  you are over 80% the bank will charge you lenders mortgage insurance of around $8K.

Approaching your borrowing this way you only use $53K of your borrowings and you retain $93K of your savings – coincidentally almost the reverse to the current option.

Note I am assuming valuation at $450K in my calculations here.

Food for thought?

Profile photo of hermelindahermelinda
    @hermelinda

Hello

I got money from my mother's life insurance.

Now i am thinking where i have to invest this money and where i can get more profit or increase money.

I have three options in my mind.

1- Invest in real estate

2- Invest in banks

3- Or in common stock.

I have no knowledge about last 2nd and 3rd point but have little bit about first option that is real esate.I need some suggestion from experts.

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Good point about the valuation Derek.

Dellas, as settlement is over a year away, the lender won't approve any loan until closer to settlement. That's when they will also do their valuation, and there might be a chance that the market might drop causing a lower valuation than the purchase price. Depending on what that is, you might have to actually put in more deposit than first thought. You won't really know until late next year.

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hermelinda

You should seek legal advice. There could be some tax advantages re the insurance proceeds under s102AG Tax Act. I haven't looked into this, but know this section mentions insurance. Certain income from a trust established under a will can be classed as 'excepted trust income'. These trusts can be set up post death too. If you can get the benefit your children may be able to earn up to $20,400 pa and pay no tax. You may not have any now, but think ahead a few years. There could be some very beneficial strategies.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@derek

Hi Hermelinda,

Of the three options you have provided I would always choose real estate investment. Mind you if you  posted exactly the same question on a share forum you will get a high proportion of people saying shares.

You are the one that is going to need to make the choice on this and the sum of money you receive will also play a part in which asset class you choose to invest in and how you go about it.

By your own admission your level of investment knowledge is limited – for this reason I would seriously consider placing all of the money in a fixed term deposit (say around 6 months) and spend the time reading, reading, reading to broaden your knowledge levels.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    hermelinda wrote:
    Hello

I got money from my mother's life insurance.

Now i am thinking where i have to invest this money and where i can get more profit or increase money.

I have three options in my mind.

1- Invest in real estate

2- Invest in banks

3- Or in common stock.

I have no knowledge about last 2nd and 3rd point but have little bit about first option that is real esate.I need some suggestion from experts.

The way you do the investing is also very important.

I would suggest you consider either

80% LVR loan and avoid LMI and put all money left over into an offset account.

Once you want to invest then set up a new loan split and you use that. (if there is equity). DOn't use your own cash as you will lose interest deductions.

If there has been no growth and no equity then pay down the loan and borrow the money again setting up a new loan split (ie not redraw). This will reduce your non deductible debt and increase deductions.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.