All Topics / Help Needed! / I have $10,000 and dont know what to do with it

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of jellison72jellison72
    @jellison72

Im 20 years old and studying finance at uni but dont have any experience in investing. I have $10,000. Im looking to buy an investment property in the next 3-4 years. Im just after some advice on what to do with the $10,000 to get a decent return on my investment. Should i place it in a savings account which gets 6% interest or put it in a mutual funds account or any other suggestions? Im looking to leave the money in their for about 4-5 years. Which would be the best option? Thanks!

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

1. Online saver- 6.5-6.3% — Ubank, Rabo, Citibank, Virgin, ING, Hunter…—Easy to access money if required for emergency, good interest… flexible

2. First home owners savers accountant- 17% interest paid by the Gov for the first $5,000 invested- can ONLY be used to buy your first property; need to invest min $5000 per financial year, can access the funds after the 4th year…can not access funds mid way. Conditions applies.

So doesn’t hurt to have a mix of both, since 17% is for the first 5k only…so keep 5 k in option 1 and another 5k in option 2….then once a year fund another 5k into option 2…

Note: Not financial advice, since i dont know your financial situation and personal details- just a general suggestion ( also the first home owner account does come with a lot of restrictions)

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Depends on your risk tolerance.

What about shares/? they are still low and returning good yields. banks shares are returning aroun 7% before franking credits. lots of up potential

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of jellison72jellison72
    @jellison72

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I’m now thinking the first home owner savings account for $5500 and the other $4500 in bank shares. I was just wondering though, am I still eligible for the home savers account if I don’t live in the property and rent it out? Thanks again

@jellison72

sorry just one more question, would by investment be of greater value if i put $5500 in first home saver account and $4500 in savings account (6%) or if i just put $10,000 in the savings account with 6%. I have done the figures myself and it roughly the same

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I would be scared of putting my money in that FH savers account. It is locked away.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@jellison72

yeah that is what i was thinking because if something happens and cant save $1000 a financial year, i cant access the money until im 65 or i have to put it in my super annuation account

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

The general Juciy of this account is:

1. it can ONLY be for your PPOR- not investment – so you MUST make up your mind on this before investing
    2. 17% interest for the fist $5,000 would beat placing the full 10k into a online saver—not sure what your question is tho.
    3. There is a 4 years time lock on this account- meaning you can only take the funds out after the 4th year…BUT say you decide to buy on the 2nd year- that’s fine but the gov will not release the funds to you till the 4th year ( so it be sitting in the bank account for 2 years) *** this point was a new addition by the GOV, updated as of 15th of July 2011***

4. If after the 4th year your free to buy, but not required to do it straight away…it has a max time limit of 15 years- after the 15th year it will default to your super

5. Should you decide to buy a INV instead of PPOR- the funds till default to your super.

Read more on the Gov website- some details has been updated recently so read full terms and conditions.

P.s Im not a advocate for the first home savers account, just a mere suggestion that it’s available; i wouldn’t take it up if you want a INV OR your planing on going overseas for work or deciding to buy sooner then the 4 years gap.

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of JackFlashJackFlash
    @jackflash
    Terryw wrote:
    Depends on your risk tolerance.

What about shares/? they are still low and returning good yields. banks shares are returning aroun 7% before franking credits. lots of up potential

Sorry Terry but I have to disagree.

Bank stocks are trending down.

ANZ Bank [ASX: ANZ] is down 2.56%…

Bendigo & Adelaide Bank [ASX: BEN] is down 3.01%…

Bank of Queensland [ASX: BOQ] is down 3.42%…

Commonwealth Bank [ASX: CBA] is down 3.44%…

Macquarie [ASX: MQG] is down 3.91%…

National Australia Bank [ASX: NAB] is down 2.87%…

..and Westpac [ASX: WBC] is down 3.23%.

Quote:
    This morning, Bloomberg News reports:

“Investors are valuing European banks at levels not seen since the depths of the credit crunch that followed the collapse of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. (LEHMQ) as concern over a Greek default and debt contagion escalates.”

And yesterday, the Wall Street Journal wrote:

“France’s largest publicly traded banks face another week of turbulence as Moody’s Investors Service may cut the credit ratings of BNP Paribas SA, Société Générale SA and Crédit Agricole SA because of their exposure to Greek sovereign debt…”

Meanwhile, across the pond, the Financial Times notes:

“Britain’s banks will face an annual bill of as much as £6bn ($9.5bn) to comply with the reforms of the Vickers Commission, according to the panel’s final report…”

And in Australia, our [cough] safe banks still need multi-trillion-dollar taxpayer support. Eric Johnston in the Age writes:

“Global market uncertainty has prompted the Gillard government to extend into next year its promise to stand behind bank and credit union deposits worth up to $1 million, before winding back the insurance scheme that has been in place since the global financial crisis…

“A new permanent cap for the Financial Claims Scheme of $250,000 per person per financial institution will be introduced from February 1 next year. The $1 million cap had been scheduled to expire in October.”

The mainstream argues Australia’s banks are safe. We ask: if that’s true, why do they need taxpayer support?

The mainstream replies it’s because of global banking fears rather than Australia-specific problems. We say, rubbish. It’s because the entire global banking system is built on a business model that’s inherently insolvent… and that includes Australia’s banks.

Still, most mainstream analysts will tell you about Aussie banks’ great yield and captive customer base.But what they won’t tell you is that banking stocks are the ultimate leveraged stock play.

The only way the banks can make money is to issue more loans.

If the banks stop expanding their balance sheets, the result is banking death. As you’ve seen in North America, it doesn’t take much for profits to disappear… or to make depositors want their cash… or to force governments into engineering taxpayer funded bailouts.

As we look at it, bank balance sheets are as bad as GM’s from seven years ago. GM made its crappy profit buying lots of metal, rubber and plastic and then expensively fashioning them into a car it could sell for a small profit.

Super-leveraged paper-thin profits

Australia’s banks (all banks in fact) make their slim profits by convincing ever greater numbers of people to take out ever bigger loans.

Source: Money Morning newsletter 12 Sep 11

If you want good returns and a safe place go and buy some silver and or gold. The gains in silver will outstrip gold. Silvers up 82% this year, gold 33% and they have a lot further to go.

24Hour Gold

Perth Mint

Jack

Profile photo of EngeloRumoraEngeloRumora
    Participant
    @engelorumora

Hi jellison72,

Invest a portion of your money in books, magazines, seminars etc… on property and keep reading this forum. I was once told make your passion an obsession and you will never need to work again.

Engelo

EngeloRumora | Ohio Cashflow
    http://ohiocashflow.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

F@#$ THE REST WORK WITH OHIO CASHFLOW TO INVEST

@jackflash
    engelo10 wrote:
    Hi jellison72,

Invest a portion of your money in books, magazines, seminars etc… on property and keep reading this forum. I was once told make your passion an obsession and you will never need to work again.

Engelo

I find obsessive’s tend to loose their subjectivity and impartiality. Obsessive’s continue to work at something regardless of need which then begs the question if financial independence is a target to achieve the goal of not needing to work so one can enjoy some kind of utopian existence then what is the point. Some argue that financial independence enables choice as if one has little choice in the first place. Obsessive’s can be hypersensitive to criticism as well .. eh Engelo ;-)

I’ve known lots of financially independent people over my lifetime. I only know of one who has been truely happy. He may have found happiness because he never sought financial independence in the first place.

Global Happiness Index 2009 – note Australia is 102nd (not very happy Jan)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Planet_Index

Jack

Profile photo of luke86luke86
    Participant
    @luke86

Thanks Jack, an unbiased and interesting view as usual.

Profile photo of grantos_champosgrantos_champos
    @grantos_champos

What did he seek? and was his name Jack? Did he have a wife named Jill? Did he live on a quiet farm with a dog that went woof woof here and woof woof there? Ah to live in a fantasy land…

Participant
    @engelorumora

Hi Jack, No bullshit, but I seriously admire your view on topics and attention to detail. Its very blunt and brutal but for some reason I like it. Keep em coming as its always an interesting read.

Regards,
    Engelo

Email Me | Phone Me

@jackflash
    engelo10 wrote:

Hi Jack, No bullshit, but I seriously admire your view on topics and attention to detail. Its very blunt and brutal but for some reason I like it. Keep em coming as its always an interesting read.

Regards,
    Engelo

And I thought I was being concise and to the point. ;-)

I don’t join forums to make friends so I can therefore be more forthcoming than others here who are looking to establish a business reputation and network for their own (and mutual) benefit. As I have no pecuniary interest in anything I can afford a certain level of directness.

My view has evolved after failures large and small. As they say you learn little when you succeed but much when you fail. Detail is often lacking and supporting arguments are almost non existent. My objective is not to simply contribute to the background noise nor cheer more lemmings over the cliff but hopefully motivate those on the self perpetuating BS merry-go-round to get off and explore different perspectives.

Hopefully it wiil help others become better and more informed investors.

By the way Engelo I do admire your motivation and savings discipline for one so young. I wish my lads had half your get up and go.

Jack

Participant
    @engelorumora

Thanks mate

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Terryw wrote:
    I would be scared of putting my money in that FH savers account. It is locked away.

I agree – I'd probably just pop it in a savings account. Boring – but at least it's accessible. In the mean time, just continue to keep learning – forums like this are a great, free resource.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of dcwwooddcwwood
    @dcwwood

Easy option – UBank online savings account 6.51% if you add $200 a month 

My choice – buy the best Listed Investment Company (LIC) on the ASX – Argo Investments (ARG). It's $5 today, but has net tangible asset backing (NTA) of $5.57 per share. Reinvest your dividends (26cents per year currenlty) for 3-4 years then either pull it all out and use it as a deposit or set up a margin loan.

http://asx.com.au/asxpdf/20110906/pdf/420xc6rc1gc4lh.pdf 

http://www.argoinvestments.com.au/

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.