All Topics / Help Needed! / High income, need to negative gear, First home buyer

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Profile photo of SpandexSpandex
    @spandex

Those are the 2 perfect types of answers I came onto this site for, Thank you.

Portfolio PI , Feel free to pm me some more info

Profile photo of SpandexSpandex
    @spandex

I have very little savings for a deposit, so my first has to be a negative gear set up, I plan to buy my 2nd with a positive gear.

Unless anyone has any other idea's? I dont think I can avoid the negative gearing on the first one, Which doesn't bother me cause I will be making extra repayments and my tax return will be reinvested, either into the loan or to buy my next.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Spandex

Don't focus or whether it's negative/positive geared. Focus on whether it's going to be a good investment for YOU.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

@spandex

Im here to find out what is good for me.. But no one seems to tell me what is

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Sounds like you just don't have the understanding at the moment. What you should do is to find the highest paying bank acount and put your money there and save as much as you can, 50% of you income at least, in that.

Do not buy any investment at the moment, but spend one year reading and learning – don't bother paying for any courses.

This will save you money in the end and make you wealthier.

Buying any old property now on the basis of hope could be dangerous.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@spandex

This is the advice im after,

Participant
    @terryw

You should learn from the mistakes of others rather than make your own mistakes.

So keep reading as much as you can and keep on learning. Warren Buffett says the number 1 rule is the preservation of capital. So you don't want to put all your money into a dud property which goes down in value. Think of the effect this would have on you. The loss, the opportunity cost and the lack of you money compounding for you.

Also start playing with excel spreadsheets. Make sure you are able to build your own property spreadsheet to calculate cashlow etc. You will learn more by building your own.

Also, do you own tax return in full and then give it to your accountant to do and see if you have missed anything or made any mistakes.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@spandex

I run my own business also. So doing all my tax is very hard.
    Is there any good video books to watch?

Participant
    @terryw

If you run your own business then why do you pay so much tax?

Sounds like you need to read up on structuring and taxation and trusts etc.

Email Me

@spandex

I work full time also.

Participant
    @terryw

we all do

Email Me

Profile photo of kong71286kong71286
    Participant
    @kong71286

Spandex,

Members in this forum have been more than willing to give you advice about your idea of negative gearing, but it appears that you have made up your mind about this issue.

If your goal is to reduce your taxes then 'negative gearing' will achieve this goal, but whether or not this will translate to  worthwhile capital growth over time will depend on the property you purchase, its location and the price you pay, as well as what happens with 'financing'.

What you have to becareful though is that there are many sharks out there happy to sell you their products with the promise of high returns, but have a disclaimer along the lines of:

"This brokerage company makes no warranty of representation about the content of this brochure. It is your responsibility to independently confirm its accuracy and competencies. Any projections, opinions, assumptions, or estimates used are for example only, and do not represent the current or future performance of the property"

In addition to making sure you do your due diligence and verifying all claims, it is also important to note that we are in a flat market at the moment, and negative gearing only gives you a fraction of the money you lose i.e. if after all income and expenses from the property you are losing $22,800, then you will only get back $8,436 based on your income bracket. If the property appreciates much greater than the amount lost, then GREAT! But what if it doesn't? What if it stays the same? Would you be happy holding onto a property that is taking $14,362 out of your pocket each year for the next 3-6 years?

@spandex

I came here with the idea of neg gearing, but its not the only path I want. You members have explained better eays. So im not that worried about my tax. My only goal is long term wealth, if tax cuts came into play that would be great. But clearly this is not the case, which is why im here asking for advices on other paths

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Terryw wrote:
    Sounds like you just don't have the understanding at the moment. What you should do is to find the highest paying bank acount and put your money there and save as much as you can, 50% of you income at least, in that.

Do not buy any investment at the moment, but spend one year reading and learning – don't bother paying for any courses.

I totally agree with Terry here. Spend some time educating yourself before jumping into anything. Grab a few books/magazines and continue to ask questions on the forum. Once you have a better understanding of the basics, you'll be able to make more informed decisions.

All the best

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of jasonfonsecajasonfonseca
    @jasonfonseca

Hi Spandex

I think there’s been quite a few comments about negative gearing being a bad idea, which I think isn’t completely true. Obviously, a positive geared property is fantastic if you can find it, but it’s often difficult.

Given your high income, you are paying a LOT of tax. You should use it to your advantage (let tax work for you) but it takes a lot more skill / luck to do so – but if you’re a young person making that sort of money, I’m sure you’ll be able to grasp it in no time.

Think about an investment from a net returns on your property cost perspective (I’ll explain it in a second below).

As an example, say you investing in a $440,000 property that is negatively geared. Let’s say it’s an apartment, rents for $500, interest rates of say 7.5% on an all interest loan, strata of $1200pq, council rates of $200pq, water of $200pq.

Here are the numbers:
    – Rent: $26,000 p.a.
    – Less: Interest: $33,000 p.a
    – Less: Strata: $4,800 p.a
    – Less: Council: $800 p.a
    – Less: Water: $800.a

Loss per annum: $13,400

Based on your income, your Marginal tax rate is about 30%. So your tax deduction is about $4k, so actually outgoing is $9,400 per annum or $180 per week.

Your net loss on your property is $9,400 / $440,000 = 2%, less than CPI. If your property capital gain grows by more than CPI (I would argue that based on your historical averages, it has been the case), then you’re in the green. On top of that, there’s further upside in terms of rental growth.

You’ve taken advantage of the tax deductions and basically reinvested $4K into the property investment p.a.; $180 per week cash outflow is easily achievable given your income. Obviously I haven’t taken into account vacancy or spikes in interest (potential downsides), which is something you’ll need to make an assumption on but the maths speaks for itself.

The key here is that you’ll need to run the numbers. If you don’t have time, try our website.

Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
    Jase

@spandex

Thank you for the helpful post :)

I will be having a 10k buffer savings for spikes,sickness,repairs etc.
    I currently save 1200 a week and still above my needs so 200 a week out of pocket for negative gearing is no worrie.
    Should I aim to make extra repayments to get to a pos geared loan as soon as I can?

Profile photo of colinnewlandcolinnewland
    Participant
    @colinnewland

Try buying POSITIVE geared property…more income=more profit; pay SO much tax that you are filthy rich.

If that fails to flaot your boat, buy a super fund for yourself….much better to pay into an account that you will get back rather than pay it to the ATO.

Profile photo of jasonfonsecajasonfonseca
    @jasonfonseca
    Spandex wrote:
    Thank you for the helpful post :) I will be having a 10k buffer savings for spikes,sickness,repairs etc. I currently save 1200 a week and still above my needs so 200 a week out of pocket for negative gearing is no worrie. Should I aim to make extra repayments to get to a pos geared loan as soon as I can?

The buffer is a very good idea. Good stuff.

Yep, there are two ways of creating equity value from an investment: 1) paying down your debt or 2) capital gains. You can't control 2 but you can control 1.  

If you have spare cash, I would suggest paying down your mortgage as quickly as possible. If you think about it, if you have the cash sitting idle in a term deposit, you'll make 6% off it at current rates. If you pay down your mortgage which is at an interest rate of 7%+, you're effectively making 7%+ on your cash.

It'll take a long time to pay down your mortgage to move it into a positively geared territory but if you're say getting nice annual bonus, that can be used to pay down your mortgage very quickly. Once your first property is at a comfortable debt level and you've created good equity, you can think about investing in your second property. 

With capital growth + equity value created from paying down your mortgage, you can sell the first property and may get close to paying off the second property. The rent on the second property is straight positive cashflow in your pocket – if it's high yielding enough, you may never need to work again – only if you choose to.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Jase & the Team at MID

@spandex

I plan to use 95% or 100% of my tax return (only put some into my buffer account if need be) each year will go onto the loan. I have around 3-4 years of solid work (6-7 days) worth coming up so I want to make the most of this while I am young and have the high income. hoping to be able to save around 40k a year, or pay 40 off the house.

I am looking at building a new house in a area which will cost me around $320,000 to $350,000. with a rental return off a bit under $350 a week, I have my Mothers house to borrow against, plus my savings which will be around $90,000. and also my FHBG, (If I choose to use it)

I also was thinking to buy the land, and start to build on it later this year after. building rather then buying to help with stamp duty costs.

Participant
    @terryw

Actually it is not a good idea to pay down loans, especially investment loans. This is because your money will be tied up in the loan and won't be accessible without adverse tax consequences. It is good to pay down debt – but not tax effective

A better way would be to set up a IO loan and a 100% offset account attached for all spare cash.

Otherwise imagine what would happen if you had paid down the loan by $100,000 over a few years and then deciced to buy a house to live in.

Email Me

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.