All Topics / Help Needed! / High income, need to negative gear, First home buyer

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 69 total)
  • Profile photo of SpandexSpandex
    @spandex

Hello,

I need to lower my tax, Im paying around 35k a year in tax

(95-125k base pay)

I am starting to look for a house to buy as a investment, or first home buyers and live in it for 6 months.

I have around $250-300 spare a week to put onto the loan, so am looking for something around 320-380k new home,
    Have been told by my accountant to look at a brand new house so I can claim more back on tax.

But I like the idea of finding a older block that is large enough to put unit's/town houses on it.

What does everyone else suggest? Thank you

Profile photo of jlb2431jlb2431
    @jlb2431

Does spending more money to claim a percentage of it back again sound a little like taking three steps forward then two back?

Before you jump into any decision, talk to as many investors or financial advisers as possible to help you gain ideas on an investing strategy that will best suit your situation. I say talk but I actually mean to say "interview" when it comes to advisers, because they ultimately work for you!!

This site is also great for advice of any sort that involves property.

It may end up increasing your income with the right stratergy, you will pay more tax again but that also means your increasing your income and chances of working less.

Profile photo of kong71286kong71286
    Participant
    @kong71286

Personally I'm not too fond of the idea of negative gearing, and losing money, but I suppose it could work if you do your due diligence before buying the property and the growth of the property offsets the losses you incur for holding onto the property. Ultimately it depends on your goals and what time frame you are looking at.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    jlb2431 wrote:
    Does spending more money to claim a percentage of it back again sound a little like taking three steps forward then two back?

Totally agree and I've said it many times before – the tax benefits associated with property investing should not be the primary reason for investing.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of bjsaustbjsaust
    Participant
    @bjsaust

You don't need to cut tax. Tax just means you made money. Its not evil or anything.

If you negative gear, it should be because you think the property is worth it in some way and any tax refunds is just handy to have, not the reason for the deal.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Spandex wrote:
    Have been told by my accountant to look at a brand new house so I can claim more back on tax.

But I like the idea of finding a older block that is large enough to put unit's/town houses on it.

What does everyone else suggest? Thank you

Hi Spandex

A newer property will generally have higher depreciation but there is also limited scope to add value through improvements. Also, if you're looking to develop on the block in the future, a new property won't be for you.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of SpandexSpandex
    @spandex

I am on my phone so I will keep it short,
    My goal is to build long term wealth, I do not plan to sell this place.
    I am reno’ing my current house for a resale profit, I want something I can use to build wealth on
    The side. I will then use my current and newly built house to borrow for developing.

Profile photo of USinvestorUSinvestor
    @usinvestor

I'm not a fan of negative gearing. Using an old Kiyosaki example:

If your after all your regular monthly expenses, your income is $1000 per month. How many $100 per month negatively geared properties could you purchase?

10, right?

Same scenario, $1000 income per month, how many positively geared properties could you purchase?

If you answered, "as many as i want", you just got a great long term strategy to build wealth right there.

@usinvestor

Further to that, what if with your negative gearing strategy, you have a couple of negative properties and you lose your job. Unlikely, but in the off chance it happens. Then what? Risky stuff that negative gearing.

Also, in 1987, lots of investors lost a lot of money and value in their properties when the US government decided to scrap negative gearing. Funnily enough, Gillard is looking into doing the same.

Hope that's enough reason to stay away from NG.

Cheers and good luck.

@spandex

It was an idea, not so much a path hence why im asking for advice.
    I will be making extra repayments onto the loan when I can.i want to build my income up high enough to have a pos geared investments, but at this stage starting with very little what is my best path?

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Doesn't matter how you look at it, negative gearing involves making a loss.  Fab.  Love making a loss – not.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

@spandex

So aim for a cheap shack, still pay my 35k tax a year. Over buying a new house that costs me something out of pocket?

Participant
    @bjsaust

People on this site are obviously very anti-NG, but bear in mind, it has worked for people before. It is a form of speculation though. You're intentionally taking a loss on the hope that property prices rise and you make your profit from capital growth. You need to look at the market though. Its flat right now. Some people may anticipate a slow 6-12 months before it all takes off again (bulls), and some that we might be in for years of flat prices (bears). Some even anticipate a crash. So you need to decide what you think is going to happen, and then…well basically you gamble on being right. So, the simple (but not so easy) solution is to buy positive geared property. Then it doesn't really matter, you make money anyway. One thought, is that if you think rents will continue to increase,  then maybe a negatively geared property that you expect to fairly quickly turn around into a neutrally geared property could work.

There are heaps of options available. Most of which require more active participation than NG, but lots of people make it work. I do feel theres a tendency to make it all sound easier than it is. As a newcomer to trying to find positive (or at least neutral) geared property, its a lot more complicated.

@usinvestor

The type of property is irrelevant.

Property is only the vehicle. Look at the numbers, consider all the risks involved, ie: are you purchasing at market value or above/below? What’s the probability of price appreciation on the investment.

Make a checklist of all the things you would want in the investment property like if its positive or negatively geared, new or old – meaning would you like to claim depreciation or even renovate and claim the costs of that while increasing the value of the property and rental return.

But be clear on what you want out of it and minimise your risks, anticipate the worst case scenario and evaluate if it's still a worthwhile deal.

If tax minimisation is what you're after, better you form a company and speak to accountants about strategies to lower your tax through it.

Hope this helps.

Participant
    @bjsaust
    Spandex wrote:
    So aim for a cheap shack, still pay my 35k tax a year. Over buying a new house that costs me something out of pocket?

A fairly common approach is that of "adding value". For instance, if yields were 5% (an easy number that basically equates to weekly rents being purchase price/1000), then if you can buy a $200k "shack" and turn it into a $300k delight, then you've turned it from earning $200p/w rent, into $300p/w rent. Obviously the key is to spend a lot less than $100k doing so.

Another option might be if that "shack" is on a big piece of land, you could subdivide and sell off some of the land. For instance if you bought that $200k shack and sold off the back half for $80k then the front half (with the house) has cost you $120k (obviously way simplified numbers ignoring costs/etc), which maybe you can rent for $160 p/w.

Or you could build yourself on the back getting a second house for cost price.

Or sell both, and buy something with a big cash deposit from the profits. The more deposit, the less interest.

@usinvestor
    bjsaust wrote:
    So, the simple (but not so easy) solution is to buy positive geared property. Then it doesn't really matter, you make money anyway.

That is the only thing in your post that matters. The rest is as you say, is speculation.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You don't have to buy a cheap shack. My mate is constantly buying properties in Sydney that are returning 10 to 12%.

My view is that you shouldn't be worried about the tax side, but about making money. It would be ok to buy something negative geared, but only if it is going to jump in value. There is no point in buying any old unit just with the hope that it will go up. That is just wishful thinking! You need something special. And the higher the rent the better. Also don't just buy something because it is postiive cashflow. You need something that will rise or you will end up losing money.

Tax can be reduced in other ways and will get easier as you get wealthier.. eg you may end up buying in trusts and then use contributions to super to reduce your wage down a lot. And then live on the trust income.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@spandex

I would like to buy in a new, up coming estate. Im here for all open advice in which path I go down.

@spandex

With my current house and savings, I only have around 70k

@usinvestor

Consider purchasing a dispaly home from a developer that will be rented back the the developer for showcasing the estate. Lots of positives there.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.