All Topics / Overseas Deals / Aran Dunlop Interviews

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of SiteAdminSiteAdmin
    @siteadmin

Interviews between Steve McKnight and Aran Dunlop – an Aussie investor who as moved to the US to buy positive cash flow property can be accessed at: https://www.propertyinvesting.com/aran-dunlop-interviews

What did you think of the interviews? What do you think of Aussie's investing in US property?

Finally, if you have any questions for Aran then post them here and we will alert him to them.

Profile photo of blake87blake87
    Participant
    @blake87

Aran, I am heading to the states in 8 weeks for 3months just wondering where do I start if I find properties of the nature you are referring to in your interview with steve is it similar to Australia when purchasing ? Is there any catches with regards to myself being a Australian if you could let us know more about the while process from start to finish that would be greatly appreciated look forward to hearing more interviews with steve !

Profile photo of BonnerBonner
    Participant
    @bonner

Steve and Aran thanks for your interview clip.

I am interested in  investing in the USA and have been seeking with interest anything that might give me a clue on the best way forward.

It appears that Steve is advocating  "hands on" investment  and is looking to empower people so that they can acheive the best result possible. I am interested in this approach but it is a quantum step to make the first move. This short summary of Aran's in the interview hits a number of the key issues being:

a) having the opportunity to be flexible from current work and life commitments,
    b) having some financial startup backing and
    c) identification of opportunities ( so that you can have a plan to hit the ground running – to maximise the opportunity of the time available and to start generating returns ASAP) 

These are all important but there is also the aspect of going it alone. How is it best to cope with this? For example, Steve has indicated in one of his little videos that your ability to set up a team in the US is your unique advantage. But it would be great to get some idea of the best way of going about this. Obviously some would be naturally better than this than others and it may be easier to set this up in some US states than others.

I would look forward to hearing strategies for being able to build your US position by being able to enlist the support of the right people.

I have the opportunity to take long service leave from work for between 3 to 6 months. This could be the golden opportunity to use that time for a great purpose. But I am concious that I need to be careful to use this time carefully as long service wont come again for another 10 years.

Cheers

Profile photo of paulandjopaulandjo
    @paulandjo

I am interested in doing a workshop about Tax Liens, and you mentioned you had done a 2 day workshop here in Australia that covered that topic? Do you know of any up coming workshops?

Profile photo of murphymurphy
    Participant
    @murphy

Thanks for the interview Aran and Steve.
    Do you have any thoughts on the Las Vegas market?
    I know Steve mentioned in his last webinar that he wouldn’t invest there but did not go on to explain why.
    It seems the market there has yet to bottom out and there seems to be plenty of properties that can give us a net 15% return.
    And we found a few with 20%.
    It’s the only area that we’ve done a lot of research in, making 2 trips there in the past few months to study the market.
    We have found a really great Realtor and property manager there, who we trust and have a good relationship with.
    We’ve made a few offers on some properties but missed out on them thus far.
    There’s just this nagging feeling that perhaps we would be better off long term in another State.
    Mainly because most people in the forums tend to avoid Vegas.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Profile photo of cappy88cappy88
    Participant
    @cappy88

Hey Aaron

Im interested to how you are living over there, does the income from your investments pay you, or are you living off your savings?
    Do you rent? own a car? How do you find these expenses compare with just flying to the us for a short period.

What do you think are the major advantages of been on the ground living in the us vs’ flying in to inspect potential investments and flying home again?

You speak about investing in tax liens and you also seem quite informed about the US property market with rental yields, housing prices, market direction etc. do you have investments in property also? if not, is there any particular reason you only invest in liens.

I have many more questions but they are the main ones.

Thanks!

Matt.

Profile photo of cappy88cappy88
    Participant
    @cappy88
    Joann wrote:
    I am interested in doing a workshop about Tax Liens, and you mentioned you had done a 2 day workshop here in Australia that covered that topic? Do you know of any up coming workshops?

There is the propertyinvesting.com live marketupdate coming up, but im not sure how much will be spoken about Tax Liens.

I would also be interested in any upcoming workshops on liens.

Profile photo of wobblysquarewobblysquare
    Participant
    @wobblysquare

Question for Aran/Steve

Property Management. I have heard that tenants can trash the place without much comeback (except loss of bond).

1) Do property managers actually inspect the property (as they do here)? How regularly?

2) Is it your experience that rentals tend to get trashed, and this is a cost that may have to be factored in?

Cheers Peter.

Profile photo of white_goodmanwhite_goodman
    Participant
    @white_goodman
    Profile photo of Treasure HunterTreasure Hunter
    Participant
    @treasure-hunter

Hi Aran,

Firstly, congratulations on the successes who’ve had with US mobile homes and parks.

A couple of questions : –

1. With the mentoring you received from Stu, did you do his 3-day Boot Camp (for $3000), or was it a more casual and on-going arrangement?

2. How does property management (and rent collection) work with Mobile Homes? Is there an on-site manager (as with Aussie caravan parks) who attends to maintenance and repairs, and a manager who collects the rents?

Cheers, Mark

Profile photo of A Scott-PowerA Scott-Power
    Participant
    @a-scott-power

As an Australian citizen, I have heard that Banks here don`t lend for offshore investments, & what are the tax ramafacations on my income.
    Regards: Andrew

Profile photo of condevcondev
    Participant
    @condev

Hi Steve and Aran,
    Congrats on having the guts to do what others don't.
    Ihave bought two properties recently in the USA in Rochester  NY and am very happy with the 30% net (yes net of all expenses) return. I will be happy to answer questions about these and the all important Property Manager.
    Your projection and comments about Rochester as an investment area?
    I hope that you are claiming depreciation!!!
    kind regards
    George

Profile photo of condevcondev
    Participant
    @condev

A Scott-Power,
    The aussie banks won't lend money on overseas property. The ATO considers it income, subject to tax.
    kind regards
    George

Profile photo of KeysToSuccessClubKeysToSuccessClub
    @keystosuccessclub
    A Scott-Power wrote:
    As an Australian citizen, I have heard that Banks here don`t lend for offshore investments, & what are the tax ramafacations on my income.
    Regards: Andrew

Hi Andrew,

You can get loans from US banks as an Australian as an option to consider. I have 3 US properties with loans

You have to lodge a US tax return but you get a tax credit for your Australian tax return

Mark

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc

While I am in the USA Vegas is not one of the current markets we invest in.I do see it as good market with some areas just out side of  Vegas as great for investment properties. Just have not found a team there.We are already investing in 9 other states here in the USA.

Let me know you would like some more information about the other markets..

Sincerely
    Alex Franks

Profile photo of Alex SCAlex SC
    Participant
    @alex-sc

My answers are below for your questions.

Property Management. I have heard that tenants can trash the place without much comeback (except loss of bond).

1) Do property managers actually inspect the property (as they do here)? How regularly? That answer is going to be different for every state you buy in the USA. All property management companies dont work the same. Now Our company buys and sells in a few different markets in the USA. We only manage the properties in NC and SC in 90 mile radius of our location.Which is just below Charlotte North Carolina. We dont do monthly inspections unless a problem arises .Other wise we inspect a few different properties each month. For our clients we video tape the whole property as to show the condition. That also depends on location of the properties.

2) Is it your experience that rentals tend to get trashed, and this is a cost that may have to be factored in?Yes I always add in vacancy and  some times that is from  risk factor. When I buy a cheap cash flow rental in a rougher area. I always set up a what if fund. I like it to be $3 to 5 k per property. This protects you from what if some thing was broken when tenants is or was evicted.

I do find properties in nicer more stable areas, have less turn over. Normally just general wear and tear. Nothing but a fresh coat of paint and carpet cleaning. This again factors in when buying cash flow rentals and having a game plan set up for your investing .

Hope this helps

Sincerely

Alex Franks

Cheers Peter.

[/quote]

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    blake87 wrote:
    Aran, I am heading to the states in 8 weeks for 3months just wondering where do I start if I find properties of the nature you are referring to in your interview with steve is it similar to Australia when purchasing ? Is there any catches with regards to myself being a Australian if you could let us know more about the while process from start to finish that would be greatly appreciated look forward to hearing more interviews with steve !

how do you guys get so much time off to travel. your work allows this or you own your own business and you can leave,

Just curious

Profile photo of jayhinrichsjayhinrichs
    Participant
    @jayhinrichs
    ALExSC wrote:

My answers are below for your questions.

1) Do property managers actually inspect the property (as they do here)? How regularly? That answer is going to be different for every state you buy in the USA. All property management companies dont work the same. Now Our company buys and sells in a few different markets in the USA. We only manage the properties in NC and SC in 90 mile radius of our location.Which is just below Charlotte North Carolina. We dont do monthly inspections unless a problem arises .Other wise we inspect a few different properties each month. For our clients we video tape the whole property as to show the condition. That also depends on location of the properties.

2) Is it your experience that rentals tend to get trashed, and this is a cost that may have to be factored in?Yes I always add in vacancy and  some times that is from  risk factor. When I buy a cheap cash flow rental in a rougher area. I always set up a what if fund. I like it to be $3 to 5 k per property. This protects you from what if some thing was broken when tenants is or was evicted.

I do find properties in nicer more stable areas, have less turn over. Normally just general wear and tear. Nothing but a fresh coat of paint and carpet cleaning. This again factors in when buying cash flow rentals and having a game plan set up for your investing .

Hope this helps

Sincerely

Alex Franks

Cheers Peter.

[/quote]

So to be fair to the audiance in your experince rental properteis will have 50 dollar s a month in maintance and could be as high as 200 plus depending on the tenant lest you get a bad one. would you say that is accurate.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.