All Topics / Help Needed! / I think I get it

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of lbluedentolbluedento
    Participant
    @lbluedento

Up til now I have relied on my broker to point me in the right direction and I haven’t really tried to understand the ins and outs of different finance options. Lately however I have been reading more and I ‘think’ some things have finally sunk in!

Our situation:
    3 IP all mortgages standard IO
    1. House value $250K owe $176K bought 2006
    2. House value $280K owe $230K bought 2007
    3. Unit value $110K owe $90K bought 2010

We rent so don’t have an PPOR

We would like to buy another property and have $25K toward a deposit. So far we have saved like mad to get a deposit each time we have bought. As we have $25k saved we were thinking of buying again, however I am wondering now if I had it all wrong.

Should we set up an LOC to borrow some of the equity from House 1? This will cover the deposit and acquisition costs. Then set up a separate IP loan for the remaining amount – possibly an offset loan and put our $25K into that to reduce the interest?

Thanks

Ruth

Profile photo of lbluedentolbluedento
    Participant
    @lbluedento

Can anyone confirm if I am on the right track?

Ruth

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

try to avoid cross-collateralising the properties as you should have adequate equity to have a loc. Also establish a 100% offset account to reduce your interest and allow redraw freedom.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

We will assume for the purposes of the exercise that you have the $25K sitting in an offset account already.

Set up an equity loan (cheaper than a LOC) against IP 1 and use this to gear against for the deposit and acqusition costs and then set up a separate standalone IP loan on IP 3. 

Only concern i would have is what you bought for $110K. Might be a small sq M unit and have had to have one of the other securities crossed as with it to get the gearing. Let us hope for your sake that is not the case.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Ideally you should have used a LOC on existing properties instead of cash. By using your cash you have done very good, but you have tied it up. If you had used equity you could have had a large amount of cash available which you could have used for the purchase of a property to live in, or other personal expenses.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of lbluedentolbluedento
    Participant
    @lbluedento

We did have one of the properties as a PPOR but my husband is a scientist and we move with contracts. As a result we have lived in 4 states and overseas in the last 10 years so buying a house to live in hasn’t often been a priority for us. In the last few months we have moved back to our ‘home’ state so it is now time to settle down and once we decide this is it to buy a PPOR.

The $110K unit is a 2 bedroom unit in a regional centre so it isn’t a small student housing property or anything.

Thanks so much for your input Scott, Richard and Terry

Cheers

Ruth

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.