All Topics / General Property / Think twice before buying a home… Kochie

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of freefree
    @free

Hi All

Would like your comments on the link posted below…

http://au.pfinance.yahoo.com/b/david-koch/1342/think-twice-before-buying-a-home

Regards
    Free

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

There is a fair bit of this type af analysis around at the moment. But a couple of things I take issue with. Firstly, I couldn't care less what the multiple of gross income to house price is, or what some pointy head from the US has to say about how expensive our prices are compared to theirs. It is irrelevant.

Secondly, none of the economists or finance guys talk about the non-financial reasons why people want to buy a house, instead of renting. Based on a purely financial analysis, it may make sense to wait a few months to buy a house, but what if your dream house comes on the market, and you can afford it? What about if you are buying a home you wexpect to stay in for a long time?

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester

Kochie was all bearish in 2008 as well, remember? Then he got all bullish again in 2009 when he saw the level of stimulus the government threw at our building industry. He can't make up his mind. He's reading the market and not predicting it.

I thought the re-softening would be March this year and was early by 3 months, which just go to show, it doesn't matter how much research you put into a given topic, complicated environments can never be predicted accurately.

If whichever government wins on Saturday offers greater stimulus than 2009, our housing market could very well triple peak (at vast expense to the wider economy). If there is no stimulus, then odds are on further softening or a correction big enough to pull prices back to trend.

The logic isn't really that complicated, I thought? There is a lot of incentive pushing house prices in Australia up but debt levels more or less peaked in 2007. 2008, stock rose and prices softened. The government stimulated and bottom end stock was cleared out in 2009. Now stock is rising again, at a faster rate than in 2008.

If you are an investor with sufficient equity, or a buyer with sufficient savings, sitting on the sidelines is obviously the wisest choice ATM.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Ummester – it looks like your 'bearish'

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@ummester
    Terryw wrote:
    Ummester – it looks like your 'bearish'

Nah, really:)

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon
    free wrote:
    Hi All

Would like your comments on the link posted below…

http://au.pfinance.yahoo.com/b/david-koch/1342/think-twice-before-buying-a-home

Regards
    Free

Its fearful, the oither way to look on it is that it will be a buyers market in the near term

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Sitting on the sideling and doing nothing is betting that prices will drop. This is a bet that has failed year after year after year. Overseas economists claiming our property market is overpriced and using international comparisons is nothing new, but they fail to factor in things such the enourmous number of houses that are in slums in the US brign down the median and averge prices, far below what comparables are here. The facts are building costs are high and there is more demand than supply. These factors have been constant for some time and and there is no sign of a reversal, so what is going to cause a crash in property prices? There are definately risks, such as another financial crisis in Europe and this is a good reason to be conservative, but people who are not in the market already need to realise that it is just as big a risk to do nothing.

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

I think Dan42 has made such an important point that many overlook – there are indeed 'non financial reasons' people could/should/might buy – including the emotional side, or feeling of security or ownership if you prefer. Not a feeling money can buy I'm afraid.

Cheers

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

I think if we combined this thread, the property bust 09 thread and the property bust not here yet thread we will have reinvented the wheel over again.

Bears be bearish, bulls be bullish lets just all make some money. Sitting in the corner and whimpering because it is all to hard it what most people are doing already so I don't think Kochie is doing anyone any favors.

And since when did a morning tv host become an economist? An expert? All I can find is that he owned a business and has written some books. He is described as an Australian television personality. What is his property investing qualifications? Any other qualifications? No Logies either…..

Time not believe everything that is said, printed, claimed etc

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of eloieloi
    @eloi

Aperry what factors are you speaking off. If its the fact that real estate experts keep talking about an undersupply in australia. Well in case you and all the other sheep dont realise, that is all propaganda to keep them in a job. In 2006 and 2007 they where saying the same thing in america and in uk. They where saying they have an undersupply of housing and need to double the amount of houses being built just to keep up with population growth, now they have an oversupply, how does that happen. its all propaganda to keep real estate people in jobs. if we have such an under supply then why is there around 10k properties in south east queensland vacant and unable to be sold. why is it the same in western australia and in outer sydney. we actually have an oversupply of housing and the price to earning ratio is way over the trend so tell me who is going to be buying houses if they can not afford  to pay it. Come on guys stop being sheep and following the blind sheppard cause he will just guide you over the cliff.  The only reasons prices didnt come down in 2008 like it was predicted wasnt the first home buyers grant but the introduction of the new laws governing international investors buying in australia. They came in and bought at any price, but now the government has cracked down on that and changed the laws again so there is noone left to buy.. i think 20% drop within 1-2 years then stagnate for 5-10 years until earnings to price come into trend.

Participant
    @dwolfe

So eloi,

Having said all that, what are you buying? Not property. Gold maybe? Oil? Or maybe bonds? So maybe you should be on the gold forums…or whatever you are investing in :) I don't understand why time and time again people think it is necessary to come on this forum and convert all of us "sheep" Baaaaaa. If you don't think property is a good investment due to legitimate reasons then great but you are on a property investing forum for people who want to invest in property.

Maybe you have the Steve's confused.

D

Ps SEQ enough said.

Email Me

Profile photo of BankerBanker
    Participant
    @banker

Eloi has a small point re the under supply (US and UK both claiming undersupply is correct b4 the crash). However most people miss a fundamental point which is supply of funds.

Funding over the last 10 years has increased dramatically in Australia. A graph curve showing funding supply increase over the last 10-20 years is followed by a growth in property prices – the lines almost identical. More money in the market obviously pushes up prices.

The issue we have now is long term international debt getting refinanced by our banks to higher rates – which they will start passing on soon, the reduction of stimulas in Australia which is around the corner and the fact both sides of politics are now promising to repay debt. In addition to this ASIC has told CBA and Westpac (who currently write some months over 70% of loans in aust) that they are over exposed to the housing market. Both intend to holt growth of their books / or at least slow the pace of growth.

So in short – we are likley to be entering a period where we can expect a reduction of funds in the Australian property market – whether we take the steam out of the bull or fatten up the bear is yet to be determined…

Personally I think it if your smart – it doesn’t matter. Cashflow is king. If your cashflow is in order you have nothing to worry about. If you are neg geared relying on growth… Well…

I also prefer to see property affordable so everyone in Australia (within reason) can work, support a family and have a home. Buying a house in the major cities should never be out of reach for the average Australian. A future Australia where only wealthy immigrants and people with family gifted depoists can buy is not an Australia I want to live in.

If you buy only for growth – and are neg greared – and get burnt…. You shouldn’t have been greedy… If your smart; there might be some great oportunities around the corner!

Participant
    @dwolfe

That was a nice positive post Banker. (not about the lending tho)

It will be interesting to see the speculation then what actually happens.

Firm strategy and understanding of risk as well as exit strategies (plural) are also helpful.

Magic 8 ball what will happen tomorrow?

"ask again later" :)

D

Email Me

Profile photo of freefree
    @free

I am glad to have started this post.

I do agree with D about Kochie’s qualification for speaking on the Real Estate Topic, but as a matter of fact he has an opinion on anything and everything, including tax returns and Economy.

I cant write much about property investing but I do understand a fair bit without practical knowledge. I have attended a few seminars of Steve and 1 seminar of Margaret Lomas. Read every book of Steve and many other books of famous authors and experts, religiously follow this forum. I have been following this forum for the past 5 1/2 years still and have not been able to buy a single property, due to some circumstances created by me and some unforeseen circumstances. I have not given up on my PI aspirations and Financial Freedom and I don t think I will ever do.

Would love to get some inspiration, encouragement and education from all the experts on this forum and if possible meet up with like minded people who are or are in the process of creating passive income from RE for life.

Regards
    Free

@ummester
    v8ghia wrote:
    I think Dan42 has made such an important point that many overlook – there are indeed 'non financial reasons' people could/should/might buy – including the emotional side, or feeling of security or ownership if you prefer. Not a feeling money can buy I'm afraid.

Cheers

Emotional stimulus has also been greater over the past decade (get in before its too late, prices only go up etc). Therefore, people have purchased more out of a fear of missing out (an induced form of security).

If stock keeps increasing, the pressure to buy now becomes less and less, as the opportunity for the buyer to low ball becomes more and more. The fear of missing out will also begin to subside and buyers will be less pressured to make a decision quickly and more able to let the implications of their purchase sink in before committing.

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry
    eloi wrote:

Aperry what factors are you speaking off. If its the fact that real estate experts keep talking about an undersupply in australia. Well in case you and all the other sheep dont realise, that is all propaganda to keep them in a job. In 2006 and 2007 they where saying the same thing in america and in uk. They where saying they have an undersupply of housing and need to double the amount of houses being built just to keep up with population growth, now they have an oversupply, how does that happen. its all propaganda to keep real estate people in jobs. if we have such an under supply then why is there around 10k properties in south east queensland vacant and unable to be sold. why is it the same in western australia and in outer sydney. we actually have an oversupply of housing and the price to earning ratio is way over the trend so tell me who is going to be buying houses if they can not afford  to pay it. Come on guys stop being sheep and following the blind sheppard cause he will just guide you over the cliff.  The only reasons prices didnt come down in 2008 like it was predicted wasnt the first home buyers grant but the introduction of the new laws governing international investors buying in australia. They came in and bought at any price, but now the government has cracked down on that and changed the laws again so there is noone left to buy.. i think 20% drop within 1-2 years then stagnate for 5-10 years until earnings to price come into trend.

I think I explained myself pretty clearly in my previous post. The fact that you are prepared to make a call on what will happen to prices over a 10 year period show that you have absolutley no idea what you are talking about, professional economists generally can't get 12 month predictions correct, what chance do you have? The fact is that prices are just as likely to rise 20% ove the next two years as they are to fall by that amount. 

Participant
    @dwolfe

*Snap* APerry got you good.

The best advice I can give you free is to do your research. Then when you have done that then act. It is all about action. No one ever maid any money sitting around doing nothing, they did something.

Listen to everything then sort the rubbish from the facts. Keep plugging away at it, don't make excuses for things and get out and do it.

D

Email Me

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.