All Topics / General Property / What would you have done differently?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of SurrealistSurrealist
    @surrealist

What would you have done differently, if anything at all?

I'm prompted to ask this question to property investors after reading a short article "What Would I Have Done Differently" in the current Feb 2010 edition of API magazine. It provides some good insights, particularly for the novice investor looking to invest. 

The author of the magazine article says that, in retrospect, he would of become more educated so that he could of learned from others' mistakes instead of learning from his own, much more costly mistakes.

Anyone like to share?

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Surrealist

Back in 1998 I looked into Vendor Finance as it relates to residential real estate.  A bunch of U.S. promoters were in town that year and they were talking about wraps and lease options.  In my "wisdom" I worked out that this couldn't be done in Australia!  Sheer brilliance ;-)

It was 2002 before Karen and I looked into it again.  We started our Vendor Finance business in 2003 and haven't looked back.  Needless to say, I'm very wary of people who say "it can't be done here" these days :-)

Cheers,  Paul 

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

1. Never lend anyone money!

2. Never do wraps!

If I followed these 2 I would be rich!

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Terry

I am with you on # 1 but must admit very very glad i did #2.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @terryw

I was just thinking of all the capital gains I could have had on those properties that I wrapped. If only I had kept them.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of SurrealistSurrealist
    @surrealist

Cheers guys, interesting tips there.

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

1) Start earlier
    2) Start way earlier
    3) Not waste so much money on cars
    4) TWO lessons that I have learnt from that have stifled what would have been good gains……
    a) Dont be obstinate and haggle over a couple of grand – after reading mantras about 'walkign away' and 'you maek money when you buy'. True, but ever worked out the interest on a couple of hundred bucks  or a grand or two? Exactly.  Did that once – missed out on the property – it DOUBLED in value between 2005 and 2008. Never had anouther one do that….. :-(
    b) When 'your bank' says no more – dont say, 'oh ok' and then do nothing. Look elsewhere. Did that worng a few years back now too…..

Cheers
    Whoops – forgot one important one ……..DONT invest in the sharemarket unless you can afford to lose the lot.  IMHO. ….how to eat up your real estate profits……..

Profile photo of SurrealistSurrealist
    @surrealist

Cheers V8ghia, appreciate your input.

Profile photo of recruit2recruit2
    @recruit2

– Don’t blow money on cars. Been there. Sold an IP basically because I was obsessed with spending on a car – *shudder* (years ago).
    – Don’t buy for the sake of buying, just because everyone else is speculating. Only buy if it’s “wow what a bargain” etc.
    – Don’t buy into new suburbs. They promised us shops and local schools, but of course 5 years later nothing has been built and nothing’s changed. The suburb went downhill and is basically now an extension of a nearby dodgy area. Luckily I smelt it coming as one end of my street started to heavily go to the pack and was the first house to up and sell in our street. Sold for enough to just break even on all my landscaping/fitting costs, but made nothing, then as soon as I’d sold, 3 of my neighbours also put their signs up. Several cases of “good owners” all accidentally buying in a place that went to the pack. But of course you can’t predict that when a suburb is just brand new and off the plans. Several factors, government bought lots of the houses for Govy/Commission housing at the other end of the street, which soon made the cars parked on the front lawns appear with the overgrown grass growing over the cars kind of thing.. Luckily, we presented the house superbly (furniture, gardens, everything spotless and looked top knotch etc) then spotted a great opportunity to upgrade into a premium suburb for only $35,000 more than the sale price of the place in the new bad suburb. Best thing I ever did – always be on the look for new opportunities!!! They can exist at any time and at any point in the property cycle.
    – Don’t let renovations drag out. Get in, borrow the money to do it with and knock it all over quickly with borrowed funds. Look to release the profits quickly, i.e. sell for profit of rent if then CP+. Don’t be one of those awkward houses in-progress of a renovation for 3 years that people will start to see as “that place that is never finished” etc. Get serious and knock the work over quickly. Then make your profits and move on.

Profile photo of suavemechanicsuavemechanic
    Participant
    @suavemechanic

hi ,
    the lesson i keep learning and relearnig is to get the financing right
    have wasted a fortune on break fees, and due to the following  circumstances am about to waste more….
    never lend money to family
    and dont try and help them by letting them live in one of your houses
    cheers and good luck

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

I would have kept the following phrase always close at hand and heart:

"Successful investment is an exercise in the control of time and money"

Participant
    @terryw

I have another one,

When one bank says no, don't give up, but try elsewhere. I remember being knocked back for my first loan and just gave up. If only I had got that property…….

Email Me

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.