All Topics / Help Needed! / How long should I wait to purchase another property?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of BlissyBlissy
    Participant
    @blissy

Hi Guys I came across this forum today and i think it's great

I have some questions and i would appreciate your opinions on my situation,

Im 28 and in Dec 2009 I purchased an investment property in South Penrith NSW for $288,000 the bank valued it at $290,000.
    I have an interest only loan and the current repayments are $394 p/w, The Property is rented out for $400 p/w and I contribute $600-$800 p/w to the loan amount so I will be paying roughly $1000-$1200 off the loan p/w.
    The property has long term tennants.

I am engaged (as of last Friday) and I am in th Navy have been for 6 yrs, the Navy pays most of my rent my partner and I pay $80 each per week in rent.

In Summary,

Purchase price, $288,000

Bank valuation, $290,000

Loan Balance @ 13/01/2010, $259,310

Interest rate @ 13/01/2010, 6.01%

My Savings, $15,000, My Shares, $15,000

My Pay p/w, $1000, Partners pay p/w, $1000

Our Rent, $80 each p/w

My Fiancee is debt free and the only debt I have is the $259,310 owing on the investment property.

How long do you think I should wait before investing in another property? 
    I was thinking about getting the next property with my Fiancee is that the smarter option?
    Exactly how much equity do I currenttly have?
    And how much do you think the banks will be willing to lend me and my Fiancee???

My ultimate goal is to get into property development .

I hope this is understandable I tried to make it as easy as I could.

Thanks.

Profile photo of LalibellaLalibella
    Participant
    @lalibella

Hi Blissy, welcome to the forum.  Congratulations on your engagement! Sounds like your  first IP is working our well. Good choice, hard to beat a  family house in a solid area with long term tenants  Have you had a Depreciation Schedule done yet? (worthwhile regardless of the the age of the property, cost about $400 ish)
    You didn't mention  other debt / children / credit cards etc. If they weren't an issue then it would be worth while talking to a Mortgage Broker to discuss your next move. My MB lives in your area if you need one. PM off line for details. Good luck.

Profile photo of BlissyBlissy
    Participant
    @blissy

Hi Lalibella, Yes the property is working well and i do intend on getting a depreciation report but i was waiting for a few minor improvements to be done boefore i get the shedule completed is that the right move or should i get the depreciation schedule done ASAP?

There is no other debt between myself and my fiancee other than my IP loan, no children as yet, and no Credit cards or anything like that.
    I live in the Sutherland shire so im not sure if your broker covers that area.

Participant
    @blissy

Hey Guys,
    I have another question to add to my never ending list this one is about depreciaition.

If i get a depreciaition schedule done now and in the future i renovate the house ie new kitchen do i need to get another depreciation shedule done or do i just need to keep the paper work for the renovations with the exsisting report for my accountant to make the required adjustments?

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

HI Blissy

Sorry to come into the end of the post but can i ask you why you are paying principal & interest and reducing the debt balance ?

The loan is interest only for a reason and if not should have a 100% offset account linked to it.

Place all of your funds into this and offset the interest rather than reduce the principal.

You can use the offset monies as deposit to buy your PPOR or another IP if needs be.
    Make sure you keep the loans separate and do not cross collateralise the 2 securiries.

Crunching some quick numbers i cant see serviceability being an issue more like the loan to value ratio as 90-95% lvr will be the maximum.

Your  FHOG will help defray some of the costs but most lenders are going to want to see minimum 10% savings as Stamp Duty and LMI will add up. 

As long as you can come up with the required amounts no reason to wait if you find the right property.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of LalibellaLalibella
    Participant
    @lalibella

Hi Blissy, text me on 0410713170 and I'll give the details to you. Thanks

Participant
    @blissy

Hi Richard,

My home loan is with St George and is an interest only loan.
    I have a redraw account linked to the homeloan account all of my money (pay and rental income) go straight into this account and this works against the interest is this the same as an offset account??? or should I refinance and get a 100% offset account?

I thought that reducing the debt balance was the best thing to do to get equity?

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

Hi Blissy a redraw account and offset account are very different things. I know that both Richard and Terry have explained the difference between the two a n umber of times on this forum, so I won't attempt to. But if you check the other posts in the financing sections you will probably get all the info that you need.  Cheers Sonya

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Blissy

Yes there is a big difference between a redraw and an offset account as it all boils down to eligibility of the deductability of the interest.

An offset account achieves the same goal however keeps things nice and clean when it comes to deductability.

Probably need to confirm a few things off the forum before i could tell you the way to move forward.

Secondly given that the loan was mortgage insured originally you would probably want to consider a separate lender to as staying with St George will mean the total loan will be > $500 and the LMI premium will start to mount. 

Profile photo of marx3bullmarx3bull
    @marx3bull

Hey Blissy, it is great to get you over here. Congratulations for your engagement. I think you got your investment property in a great value. I hope it is going well. You can surely get into another property with your Fiancee. There is nothing to worry about. Keep it up.

Participant
    @blissy

Thanks for the advice everyone its very helpful.

Qlds007 wrote:

Hi Blissy

Yes there is a big difference between a redraw and an offset account as it all boils down to eligibility of the deductability of the interest.

An offset account achieves the same goal however keeps things nice and clean when it comes to deductability.

Probably need to confirm a few things off the forum before i could tell you the way to move forward.

Secondly given that the loan was mortgage insured originally you would probably want to consider a separate lender to as staying with St George will mean the total loan will be > $500 and the LMI premium will start to mount. 

Hi Richard,

Im very dissapointed with myself !!!!  I rang St George and it turns out that I dont have an IO with OS account loan i have a PI with a redraw account loan.
    And for me to change to IO it will cost me $500 and for me to re finance with another lender it will cost me $1000 to get out of the loan. Oh well it as all about learning.

I intend to see a broker and see what other options are available with other lenders as i definately want an IO loan as i intend to purchase as many properties as i can.

I was always under the impression that the only way to be able to get another IP was to pay of the priciple ASAP to gain equity.  didnt realise it was so easy to get the money out of the offset account.
    Is it possible at all to still pay some money off the principle when you have an IO loan?

Oh and does anyone know if you can claim loan account expenses for an IP as a tax deduction? such as the $500 & $1000 fees St George want to charge me to either change my loan or leave my loan all together?

Qlds007 wrote:

Sorry but im not really sure what you mean by this Richard I gather you are saying i will be better off leaving St George?

Thanks again.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Whoa! beware of paying money into a investment loan and redrawing it.

Pretty soon none of the interest will be deductible, but you will still have a large debt. Its a tax time bomb!

To understand why you will need to know a bit about the ATO’s tax treatment of loans.

Just remember:

Every time you pay money into a loan this is a deposit.

Every time you withdraw from a loan this is considered new borrowings.

Deductibility of interest depends on what the funds borrowed were used for.

So, say you had a $100,000 loan for an investment property. Generally the interest on the whole amount borrowed to purchase the investment property will be deductible.

Say you set up your loan with the idea of saving interest and you had arranged for your monthly salary to go straight into the loan. This will save you interest as your balance will immediately decrease.

So you had your $5000 wage deposited into the loan account. The new balance is $95,000.

The next day you take out $4,000 to buy groceries and for living expenses. The ATO will consider this to be new borrowings. The interest on this $4,000 will only be deductible if the funds were used for investment or business purposes. In this case it won’t be because the expenses purchased were of a private or personal nature.

Now you have a $99,000 loan, but only the interest on $95,000 is deductible with interest on $4,000 not deductible.

This is just the first month.

You then do it again and again. Assuming you were paying the interest separately and in addition to the wage being deposited you will have paid the tax deductible loan off in 20 months, but you will still have a non-deductible loan outstanding of $80,000.

A way to have avoided this and still have saved the same interest without the tax complications would have been to use a loan with a 100% offset account attached. All money, savings, wages, rents etc should have gone into this account. This would save the same in interest as if you had paid it into the loan.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @blissy

Thanks for the detailed reply Terry,
    I really need to change to an IO loan ASAP, Do you think it is worth changing to IO with St George who my current PI loan is with given that i recieved this reply earlier?

Qlds007 wrote:

Im just not to sure what that means? I gather it is will affect my LMI somehow?
    Your help is appreciated.

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Blissy

I think Richard may have been talking about the next loan there.

For this one I would suggest you ring St George and say you wish to change over to IO and set up a 100% offset attached. Sounds like you may not be on the professional package and you may be on their cheap loan – the basic maybe? The offset account is only available on the stndard variable loan which is a higher rate, but you do get a discount which will bring it down to similar or less than what you are paying now, but you will get all the added features such as a free variaition per year. So ask about the package.

Even if it costs you I suggest that it is worth doing as otherwise you will be digging yourself in deeper the way you have set it up and it will save you money in the long run if you change now.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @blissy

Thanks for the info i'll give St George a call today.

I have another question what happens when all the interest is paid? does it revert straight to paying the principle?

Participant
    @terryw

You can never paid all the interest!

Email Me

Participant
    @blissy

Hi all,
    This is my fist post for a while but i have been a active reader whist I have been working on changing my IP loan to interest only with a 100% offset account.

I can happily say that it is now finalised and im now on IO with 100% offset with St George.

My IP in South Penrith is worth  $290k – $300k
    IP loan balance                            $262,373.45

The IP rents for                             $400 p/w

I currently have                             $26,581.36 sitting in the offset account. and $15,000 in an Equties trust fund

My Pay p/w, $1000, Fiancee's pay p/w, $1000

Our Rent, $95 each p/w (subsidised through Defence)

The only debt between us is my IP debt.
    And since my last post i have found out that im going to be a father for the 1st time as my fiancee is now 3 months pregnant :) she is due late Sep early Aug.

Ideally I'd really like to have the second IP by July at the latest before ub is born and I have been doing alot of research and reading.
    So how do you  think my situation now looks? Roughly how much equity do you think i have in my IP? and what is my LVR?

Thanks again everyone.

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi again Blissy

Firstly congrats on the news of your new arrival.

From those numbers i think your equity is fairly limited so might be a matter of using some of your cash / managed funds and looking at a 90-95% lvr.

Not cheap when it comes to the associated costs but gets you miving forward.

i am assuming you havent considered buy a PPOR and claiming the FHOG ?

Profile photo of TalismansTalismans
    Participant
    @talismans
    Qlds007 wrote:
    HI Blissy

Sorry to come into the end of the post but can i ask you why you are paying principal & interest and reducing the debt balance ?

The loan is interest only for a reason and if not should have a 100% offset account linked to it.

Place all of your funds into this and offset the interest rather than reduce the principal.

You can use the offset monies as deposit to buy your PPOR or another IP if needs be.
    Make sure you keep the loans separate and do not cross collateralise the 2 securiries.

Crunching some quick numbers i cant see serviceability being an issue more like the loan to value ratio as 90-95% lvr will be the maximum.

Your  FHOG will help defray some of the costs but most lenders are going to want to see minimum 10% savings as Stamp Duty and LMI will add up. 

As long as you can come up with the required amounts no reason to wait if you find the right property.

Hi Gents,

What's the implication in this "Make sure you keep the loans separate and do not cross collateralise the 2 securiries."?

Does it mean that if i wanna use the equity from my PPOR, i should take the equity out as cash n make it as deposit to my new IP loan? Rather than using the equity of my PPOR as a collateralise?

Cheers
    Talis

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Talis

Yes you have it.

It will save you considerable issues down the track.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.