All Topics / Finance / fixed vs variable … also, still access to equity?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of karen.karen.
    @karen.

hey :)

two questions.

first, we are looking at holding onto our two props for the next 5 yrs at least.  at the moment they are both variable.  but looking at the fixed rates its 0.92% more interest if i go for a 3 yr fixed.  with interest rates going up should I look at switching to the fixed?  we are comfortable with the repayments at a higher interest rate as both props are CF+ up to 8%.

secondly, with a fixed loan would I still have the same ability to refinance to access my equity?

thanks!

Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974

In my opinion, it is too late to go fixed now, especially if you are comfortable with higher repayments. If I were in your position, I would just stay with variable. 

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

If the 3 year fixed rate your lender has quoted you is only 92 bps higher than the variable rate i would be looking to refinance elsewhere.

Realistically the fixed rate would be nearer to 140 bps higher so sounds like you maybe paying over the odds on your IP's.

Yes a lot harder and more expensive to refinance away a fixed rate loan.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of karen.karen.
    @karen.

yeah im stuck with them for another 2 yrs so i can avoid early exit fees.  then im refinancing elsewhere.

but seeing as its harder to refinance on fixed ill leave it variable cos i wanna get access to the funds in 6 months or so.

thanks for the advice.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I never fix any of my loans anymore. I want the flexibility to move from bank to bank or sell and avoid the exit fees.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.