All Topics / Creative Investing / subdividing back block

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of PosEnterprisesPosEnterprises
    @posenterprises

Hi what are peoples thoughts on subdividing and building a house on the back block!

Would you sell to make a profit or hold and get the rental income?

Also how can you finance these deals if you are short of cash, can you capitalise the interest and pay when it is rented out?

anyone with experience in this matter!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

These days it is not as easy as it sounds. I tried to do one recently, but the mortgage insurer knocked it back.

Basically you, subject to serviceability etc, can get a loan for 80% of the building contract and the value of the original house. But valuations are coming in tight so if you don't have much equity it may be hard.

You can't really capitalise interest, but if you have enough equity you may be able to borrow extra, put that in the offset account and use it to fund the repayments for a while.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of LockymacLockymac
    @lockymac

Hey you should look into Stroba Group. (www.strobagroup.com) and look at there property side. Im currently working with them to get the subdivide my block in armadale (WA). They are australia wide and gaurantee the best building price for any set of house plans meaning that you may be able to get a bit more euity in the deal. Worked in my case.

Cheers

Profile photo of PropsaPropsa
    @propsa

As its such a common thing these days, there are arguments both ways. From a town planning side of things, its not always such a good thing for aesthetic reasons, but to create equity / rental returns its great. From what I know, its typically harder to sell the back block, but renting it outs a good option as there’s often a higher level of security associated with it, as well as if a whole area has been rezoned where subdividing is possible, the population density will be higher, making it more attractive for renters.

Terry’s got a good point with the finance side of it. But if you can do it well and the block shape isn’t too awkward, its often a brilliant way to invest in the property market.

Profile photo of rapidpromotionsrapidpromotions
    @rapidpromotions

I am currently doing this at the moment, So far its looking at becoming quite profitable.

The best option would be to rent, remember if you sell within  6 months you will get hit with quite a bit of tax.
    You would be better of selling the front house. 

You could subdived land in 2 parcels and get bank to reevaluate to gain equity this is what I needed to do to raise funds
    Remember its a good idea to discuss your plans with your local council first, this is free and will give you a good indication if they have any concerns.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.