All Topics / Legal & Accounting / To Trust or not to Trust: that is the question.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 120 total)
  • Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Wouldnt use a DFT as NB are not available.

May consider a Unit Trust.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    PosEnterprises wrote:
    So what happens if you want to purchase a new PPOR and put the old one into a Trust so you can borrow all the available equity for a deposit on the new PPOR.  And what happens if you are not +geared on the old PPOR (Now IP). What trust would you use if you wanted negative gearing benefits etc a DT or HDT?

Hi Pos

You would be selling your old PPOR to your trust. So your trust would probably have to come up with a deposit – you could lend it some money from your freed up equity of the sale.

If the trust property is negative geared, I would be inclined to use a DT and try to inject other income into it to offset the loss. If you need to claim the loss then I would still use a HDT. It would have to operate as a UT initially, but at least you will be able to have the trust buy back the units later on (CGT implications) and it can then operate as a DT withou having to resell.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of binvip1331binvip1331
    Participant
    @binvip1331

I think the first question to ask is .. why you need to have a trust to own your IPs. it will all depend on personal individuals levels. if you are an employee and don't have a high risk business or life background. why would you get yourself into a complicated structure which makes your life much more complicated. unless you start with purchasing more than 3 IPs, then i might think of all these structures but still.. is it really worth it? unless you believe you will get sued one day…. and lost everything……

i think the problem with DT is that you will lost the "Negative gearing " benefit and your rental property loss will not go against your personal tax level, because trust doesn't distribute any loss. however this would be a different case if you are planning to start with positive geared property portfolio.

if anyone has more opinion pls feel free to discuss….

Profile photo of BusyBeeBusyBee
    Participant
    @busybee

This hasn't much to do with property investing but we have a fairly complex trust structure for our busines and one thing I didn't realise until I put in our first bus tax return is that any money you make in the trust has to be distributed to you personally and that means that it increased my personal taxable income for the year. ie. more tax :)  Anyway, it' s not a big deal but may be worth investigating this when you are setting everything up so that you can distribute any income you make without increasing your personal tax.  There are many trust structures though.

Participant
    @terryw

Hi BB

That means you are making a profit which is good. Don't forget the trust doesn't have to distribute to you. Some of all could go to a child/husband/relative. If none are available, or already earn too high, then you could distribute to a company and cap the tax at 30%.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of danielleedaniellee
    @daniellee

Hi

Had a busy Sat looking at properties, and just stayed away from the computer on Sunday. Had a much more positive meeting last Friday afternoon with another accountant over the setting up of a Family Trust with Corporate Trustee.

This accountant does not invest in property, but deals with plenty of property investing clients who utilise DTs with Corporate Trustees, so is familiar with with taxation issues.  

The one thing he said was that a company acting as the trustee to the DT is not allowed to receive distributions, until it becomes an active trading business, then it is allowed to be a beneficiary to the DT. Is that right?

The prices he gave me are:

DT with Corporate Trustee: $1650
    ASIC registration: $392
    Tax return for DT for 1st yr: from $250
    Individual tax returns for 1st yr: from $130 each

Estimated total cost for the first yr: $1650+$392+$250+($130*2) = $2552

I must say that toward the end of the meeting, I felt comfortable with his level of understanding on DTs and am happy to proceed with him.

Regards
    Daniel

Profile photo of eddieceddiec
    @eddiec
    Terryw wrote:
    Dan42 wrote:
    Terryw wrote:

Hi Daniel

$8,000 per year is a big loss!

Did you know that CG cannot be offset by income losses? I have never had an income loss so am not too sure how it works, but this is something you should discuss with an accountant.

What I think it means is, using your above example, you will have to distribute the $120k capital gain and still keep rolling over the income loss in the trust until other income can be used to offset it. The 50% CGT discount can apply to the CG if it is distributed to an individual.

Hi Daniel,

This is not correct. Capital Gains CAN be offset against income losses. It is only Capital Losses that must be offset against capital income.

You mentioned that your accountant quoted you $1000 for a trust tax return / financials. This seems high to me. For one rental property in a trust, you should be able to get it done for about half of that.

Dan

Dan,

You sure? I am not an accountant and have no losses to offset so I am not sure – though I will have to deal with Capital losses from shares next year.

My understanding is If it was a person, then the capital gain would be added to the person's income, so a low or negative income would mean the CG would be offset.

But with a trust, I thought the income retains its character and is passed on through to beneficiaries. So if a trust has a income loss and a capital gain they are treated separately. The capital gain is distributed. I don't think it can offset the loss before being distributed.

Any accountants out there who can confirm? Eddie? It may work out better if I am wrong.

Sorry guys, been on holidays!

The rules are :

1. A capital loss can only offset a capital gain.
    2. A revenue loss can offset both income and capital gain.

Now the tricky bit – can a revenue loss in a trust offset a capital gain derived by the trust?

The law defines the "net income" of the trust to mean "the total assessable income of the trust estate … as if the trustee were a taxpayer in respect of that income and were a resident, less all allowable deductions". 

It is the "net income" of the trust that will then be assessed in the beneficiary's hands when distributed, albeit the character of each type of income is generally retained (recent cases have started to cast doubt on this long held principle). 

Therefore, in my view, to determine the net income of the trust, any revenue loss will be offset against the net capital gain and the reduced net capital gain is then distributed to and assessed in the beneficiary's hands.

Obviously, for the losses to be available, the trust will need to make a Family Trust Election.

One thing though – I am surprised by various reports that accountants were not familiar with trusts.  Trusts are one of the most fundamental aspects of our tax system (and will continue be so, unless the Henry Review does something drastic with them) and accountants are repeatedly trained on the subject.  Having said that, be aware that in Australia, anyone can call themselves an accountant.  In my view, always go with a Chartered Accountant or CPA because these are accredited professional bodies.

Eddie
    [email protected]

Participant
    @terryw

Thanks for clearing things up with the losses Eddie.

It is interesting what you say about accountants and trusts. I had one client who was an accountant (not sure what qualifications) and he had no idea about trusts. There are many others that I deal with and they only know the basics.

It is the same with lawyers. Trust law is compulsory part of the degree but some lawyers do not understand the benefits of using a trust. A lawyer friend is involved in high risk business all the time, and he has always purchased properties in his own name for some reasons.

I guess it is like a doctor that smokes – they don't follow their own advice.

Email Me

@eddiec

Or the plumber with a leaky tap at home – speaking of which, I haven't lodged my own tax return for 2008 yet! ;)

Eddie
    [email protected]

@daniellee

Hi, Eddiec

The accountant is a CPA, so that helps in this case.

Good to know that an income loss can be offset again capital gains.

One more question: Does making a Family Trust Election have any disadvantages, in terms of limiting who the beneficiaries are? Or it has absolutely no effect what so ever on the Trust as a whole.

Regards
    Daniel

@eddiec
    daniellee wrote:
    Hi, Eddiec

The accountant is a CPA, so that helps in this case.

Good to know that an income loss can be offset again capital gains.

One more question: Does making a Family Trust Election have any disadvantages, in terms of limiting who the beneficiaries are? Or it has absolutely no effect what so ever on the Trust as a whole.

Regards
    Daniel

Hi Daniel

The issues with making a Family Trust Election are:

1. It is generally irrevocable for a discretionary trust.

2. Once made, the trust cannot distribute outside the "family group".  The term "family group" is specifically defined and is generally restricted to certain generations and degree of blood lineage relative to the nominated "test individual".  If the trust distributes outside the family group, the distribution will be subject to the Family Trust Distribution Tax at the highest marginal tax rate of 46.5%.  Yes, ouch.

Having said that, it is important to make a Family Trust Election to enable the trust to recoup tax losses, pass on imputation credits to beneficiaries, etc. 

These are highly technical but your accountant should be familiar with the rules.

Eddie
    [email protected]

Participant
    @terryw

Daniel,

Why not use Eddie? or at least consider him? He seems very helpful and knowledgeable.

Email Me

@eddiec

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Terry! :) Yes, of course – more than happy to help. :)

Eddie
    [email protected]

@daniellee

Hi, Eddie

Ah yes… the accountant did explain to me, but I was not able to get it the first time. Making a Trust election is important, that it limits certain people within the family group. I see that now.

Where are you based, Eddie? I have already started with this accountant, and will keep you in mind in the future.

Terry: Thanks for your help. I will get in touch with you in early Feb to pick up on the loan enquiry. My wide and I have a firm idea of the type of loan we are interest in now.

Cheers
    Daniel Lee 

@eddiec

I am based in Brisbane but this forum is more like a hobby for me than a marketing tool anyway. :)

Good luck with your investments!

Eddie
    [email protected]

Profile photo of lordoftheundeadlordoftheundead
    @lordoftheundead

Firstly great thread, one of the best ive read so far, alot of info here

i recently went to perth to see an accountant for the 1st time in relation to property investing as i wanted to discuss trusts.

my situation (or rather my partners situation)

2 IPs both pos geared and with recent price drops very little CG both of which also held for more than 12months.
    PPOR reasonable amount of CG

i told the accountant that i wanted to set up a DT and move the properties into it and gave him my reasons to see what he thought.

1) we are buying a new PPOR and will rent out our current, having acquired some CG we should be able to sell it the the trust at 95% lvr and release some of the equity from it for ourselves and still be able to rent it out as almost pos geared with the only real costs being loan fees/legal and stampduty. we then will have some released funds to be able to reinvest.

2) the 2 current IPs have little CG so minimum CGT payable, they also have the benefit of being pos geared if at an lvr of 90-95% so this would make the trust pos geared overall. costs would be stampduty loan/legal fees and a small amount of CGT

the accountant agreed with what i said but said little else unless i asked the right questions, overall i was pleased but i did expect to be given other ideas or go more in depth and will be interested in anyones thoughts here.

as it was a topic earlier i will say the appointment lasted a hour and cost $275

now some questions that still bug me!!!!

a) it will be a company as trustee with partner as director, it is my understanding that directors are often gaurentors for the loan so only having one is beneficial. is this true?

b) the trust needs money for deposit and stampduty, ths can be gifted or loaned. terry i think you mentioned earlier that the deposit can be funded from the proceeds of the sale. if so how does this work?

c) depreciation – i know this was discussed earlier but im still a little confudled.
           say the properties are pos geared before depreciation. the profit will be distributed to the beneficiaries and the on paper        depriciation wll be held in the trust until it can be offset by a`loss. is my understanding correct?

d) as the trustee owns the assets in this case the company, is it only the director  that can sign docs and sign agreements or can an employee or a nominee do this? i ask this as my partner who will be the director will be away for a while so it would be easier for myself to have authority for a short period to do things.

thanks for all the help

regards

pete

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Pete

a) Directors will always be required to sign guarantees. Having one cuts down on the risk if something goes wrong and cuts your exposure to the banks. Beware, some banks may ask guarantees from shareholders too. So I would have one director only. But bear in mind if the director's income is low you may need the help of the spouse to guarantee too – this should be able to be done without them being director.

b) You are basicially buying from yourself, so it can all be done at settlement. eg Trust buys $400,000 property, loan is $350,000. Your loan is currently $340,000. When you settle you will have $60,000 left over. $50,000 goes to the trust. Your solicitor can help you with the conveyancing side. Its all done simulataneously.

c) The trust may have a cash profit, but still have a tax loss. What happens here I think depends on your trust deed's wording. For tax returns I think it would be only the taxable income that is distributed but your trust would still have cash left over. I am not sure now what would happen, but think there are different ways to calculate income.

d) Under the Corporations Act (2001) section 126, the company can authorise an agent to act on its behalf.
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca2001172/s126.html
    But a bank may not accept this.
    You may also want to set up a power of attorney with your partner. You will then be able to sign on her behalf. But be careful. Banks will probably insist on the director/guarantor seeking independent legal adivice before settlement. So they may not accept power of attorney at this stage.

Email Me

Profile photo of lordoftheundeadlordoftheundead
    @lordoftheundead

thanks terry big help.

i dont suppose you have any experience with dealing with foreign investors?

my partner is an aussie citizen but i am still classed as a temp resident and so am bound by firb criteria.

as you probably already know this means i cannot buy 2nd hand property for investment purposes, it also means i cannot be a sole director of a company so that cuts off using a company as trustee with myself as a director. as i understand it though i can still be the appointer.

there must be foreigners that get around this somehow and suspect it can be done in someway through a trust but im having trouble finding it.

anyone have any ideas?

regards

pete

Participant
    @terryw
    lordoftheundead wrote:
    thanks terry big help.

i dont suppose you have any experience with dealing with foreign investors?

my partner is an aussie citizen but i am still classed as a temp resident and so am bound by firb criteria.

as you probably already know this means i cannot buy 2nd hand property for investment purposes, it also means i cannot be a sole director of a company so that cuts off using a company as trustee with myself as a director. as i understand it though i can still be the appointer.

there must be foreigners that get around this somehow and suspect it can be done in someway through a trust but im having trouble finding it.

anyone have any ideas?

regards

pete

Hi Pete

The residency requirements are not necessarily the same as the immigration requirements. If you are ordinarily resident in Australia you may qualify to act as a director:

CORPORATIONS ACT 2001 – SECT 201A

Minimum number of directors

Proprietary companies

(1)  A proprietary company must have at least 1 director. That director must ordinarily reside in Australia.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca2001172/s201a.html

Even if you do not ordinarily reside in Australia your partner could be director and you be the 2nd director.

I am not sure of the FIRB requirements on buying property through a company if the 2nd director is a non-resident.

I think there would also be tax consequences if you were a non-resident and trustee of a trust.

But you can still set up the trust with your partner being director of the trustee.

Email Me

@eddiec

Provided that the corporate trustee was incorporated in Australia, the trust will be an Australian tax resident.  This is so regardless of whether the shareholders of the corporate trustee are Australian tax residents or otherwise. 

Not sure about the FIRB requirements either but if you are the appointor of the trust, you may substitute the trustee at will, which gives you effective control of the trust.  Also, I would check with FIRB if you could be a shareholder of the corporate trustee. 

Eddie
    [email protected]

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 120 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.