All Topics / Legal & Accounting / To Trust or not to Trust: that is the question.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 120 total)
  • Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Daniel

Thanks for the update.

As you can probably gather I am a big fan of trusts.

You keep talking about HDT – but these don't really work and I think you should be looking at DTs as this is where all the tax and asset protection advantages lay.

Here is my response to your points:

1. Not true. All lenders understand trusts. They are very common and lenders deal with them everyday. They also understand hybrid trusts – these are nothing special, just unit trusts with a discretionary component. The problem is they won't accept them or won't accept the loan in a different name to the person on the title of the property.

2. With falling interest rates and high rents your properties will be only slightly negative cashflow. Therefore this should not be a major factor in holding you back from using a trust.

3. The running cost of a trust is Nil. All that needs to be done is a tax return. If the trust owns one property then you can do it yourself. Nothing hard or complex about that. Or you can get your accountant to do it for you. For a trust return it may cost $200 and slowly rise as your trust buys more property and the tax return gets more complicated. The thing is you would be buying the same investments in your own name anyway, so you would incur similar charges by your accountant to prepare your own tax return. If you use a company as trustee then there is a tax return for the company too – but this should be a nil return and there is an annual fee to ASIC of about $200

4. The majority of people may not use a trust, but do you want to be like the majority? What do the wealthy people do?

5. Getting insurance may help, but doesn't cover everything or every situation. Not many landlords get sued, but that is not what you should be worried about. You could get sued personally for a number or reasons if you are start a business the risk increases dramatically. You can be forced into bankruptcy through circumstances that are not your own fault.

6. Distributing income may not be relevant now, but what about the future? eg. your wife may take a year off work to have a baby, she may even work part time for a few years after that. Did you know each kids can earn $2666 pa tax free each year? If you were on the top bracket that means a trust could save you $1300 approx in tax per kid (and they don't even have to be your kids, most relatives under 18 would be covered).

And what about CGT if you were to sell? Like my example above.

One disadvantage with a trust is that you may pay more in land tax – in NSW it is about 1.7% of the value of the land above a certain threshold, think it is $320,000. But trusts do not get this threshold and pay land tax straight away. Other than this it is all positive i think.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

Just in response to Terry's comments, the administration costs of running a DFT are higher than if you were to purchase the propertiy in your own name. A discretionary trust requires minutes, and generally financial statements are prepared by the accountant as well.

For one property it wouldn't cost much more, but it would be more.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Dan

its not that complex – you can easily do it yourself. But I agree if using an accountant it will cost a little more.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of freelancefreelance
    @freelance
    daniellee wrote:
    I spoke with the accountant, and was advised to not bother about a trust.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for posting this topic.. I'm learning a lot from everyone who's contributed.

Just wanted to say something in regards to your post above –

"When someone points their finger at you and tells you 'You can't do that!', they really have three fingers pointing at themselves" – Robert Kiyosaki

Cheers,

Lance

Profile photo of PosEnterprisesPosEnterprises
    @posenterprises

Its great to get information on the finance side of things. As we all know without first sorting out how you are going to finance your property acquisition is the most important factor. 

Well my question is to Terry or Richard if you want you buy in your own name and claim depreciation and interest deductiblity that is all good.  But what about if you want to plan for the future especially where you are married and have kids etc.

Do you purchase some IP's now in your own name and then later on purchase in a Trust and which Trust should you use if you cannot get the benefits of depreciation which does kind of help with cashflow. Otherwise you will have to only try and purchase positive cashflow property.  I am assuming that most investors want to purchase property for capital growth first as the way to build wealth.  But as I know what is the correct answer I am here to learn from others.

What about Dale Gatherum-Goss an accountant who has left  his business but always said that once you are serious about wealth do what the wealthy do and run your investments through a Trust.

I am confused about what I have read and the reality of what to do.

Thanks for the input it is a great learning experience.

Participant
    @terryw

Pos, I am not sure what you are asking.

if the property is negative cashflow, then the losses will be stuck in the trust until there is a profit in future years. Depreciation is still claimable – it is not lost, but it is the trust that claims it. So a property may have a larger paper loss. Your own personal income cannot be offset by this loss.

But, the loss these days will be low because of low interest rates and high rents. So the potential tax savings if bought in your own name will be lowish – more so as tax rates fall too.

Carrying forward losses is less than ideal, but the future savings should be much more.

It should also be possible to use the losses by diverting other income into the trust. This is not easy for wage earners, but can be done for self employed.

Email Me

Profile photo of danielleedaniellee
    @daniellee

Hi, Everyone

This is the cost pricing I have been given by the accountant.

Tax returns for individuals: From $150 + $100 per investment property per yr
    Tax return for Trust / company: From $1000 upwards per yr
    Set up of Family trust without / with Corporate Trustee: $2200 / $1000

Yr 1 with a trust, the running cost for us will be from $1300 (2 individuals + the trust).
    Yr 1 without a trust, the running cost for us is from $400 (2 individuals + 1 IP).

All interest and depreciation would be trapped in the trust, so our holding cost would jump from $40 per person per week (utilise interest & depreciation) to $90 per person per week (no interest & depreciation available).

So, what are the strategies around this?

1 – Find another accountant who charges a cheaper price?
    2 – Bear the 3-5 yrs of no claiming of interest deductions and depreciation per property?
    3 – Change my strategy and start looking for only positive cashflow IPs?

I understand the benefits of a trust, but the numbers are not stacking up for our cashflow. So, either most people who use trust are already experts at investing and every property they get their hands on become positive'y geared very quickly, or most who use a trust have to deal with the medium term cashflow pain.

Regards
    Daniel

@posenterprises

That is exactly what I was alluding to. Sorry about my wayward question.  Yes If you are a PAYE employee how do you get around this?  If you wanted to have the benefit now of borrowing in your own name but using a corporate trustee to hold the IP for you and future estate planning how do you do it.

It seems that getting finance is harder for full doc with a Trust or is only Lo or No doc lending that is hardest to get finance.

How do PAYE wage/salary earners buy through a trust if they are not self employed or have a business with lots of cashflow.

What accountant can give that advice or Finance Brokers with this level experience.

@daniellee

Hi,

After re-reading the opinions and comments of many who responsed, I thought about the Discretionary Trust once more. It finally made no sense to me to be concerned with a few thousand in cashflow loss from not being able to claim the interest deductions and depreciation.

My partner and I discussed about the use of a Family Trust with Corporate trustee in greater detail, and I reworked the figures to include capital growth. Our cashflow loss will shrink over the years as rental income grows and depreciation reduces, and it became clear that after 5-7 yrs, distribution of capital growth to reduce tax when we do sell a property is going to be a bigger issue than the accumulated cashflow losses.

Sure, the loss of the negative gearing benefit is going to cramp our cashflow for a while, but that only means we have to bargain harder and buy better.

The workings I did was this:

Cashflow loss (Yr 1): -$8.3K (interest and depreciation)
    Capital gains (Yr 1): $21K (IP valued at $300K @ 7% growth)
    Net gains (Yr 1): $12.7K

Cashflow loss by Yr 5: -$40.9K (Accumulated interest and depreciation)
    Capital gains by Yr 5: $120.8K (IP capital growth over 5 yrs)
    Net gains by Yr 5: $79.9K

So, we will have a good problem of distributing the net gains between us. Assuming 50% CGT on the net gains, we are still talking about nearly $40K CG. This problem could be exacerbated if in 5 yrs time, our income nears the 30% income threshold. Then, at least if we were to have a corporate trustee, we can keep the money in the company to have it taxed at 30%, and not add the CG to our personal income and have it taxed at the next tax bracket; or we could spread that CG among our immediate family.

So, I will go back the accountant when she reopens for business in 2 – 3 wks time to discuss about setting up a DT with Corporate Trustee. Now, I am actually more concerned about dealing with the amount of capital gains that comes with selling a property than the accumulated cashflow loss, but that is a good problem to have, and am pretty confident a Trust is going to be helpful to us.

I read about the strategy of leaving the money in the company to have it taxed at corporate rates instead of the higher personal tax rates, just wanna check that this is all legal, right? 

Thanks, everyone for your help.

Regards
    Daniel Lee 

Participant
    @terryw
    daniellee wrote:
    Hi, Everyone

This is the cost pricing I have been given by the accountant.

Tax returns for individuals: From $150 + $100 per investment property per yr
    Tax return for Trust / company: From $1000 upwards per yr
    Set up of Family trust without / with Corporate Trustee: $2200 / $1000

Yr 1 with a trust, the running cost for us will be from $1300 (2 individuals + the trust).
    Yr 1 without a trust, the running cost for us is from $400 (2 individuals + 1 IP).

All interest and depreciation would be trapped in the trust, so our holding cost would jump from $40 per person per week (utilise interest & depreciation) to $90 per person per week (no interest & depreciation available).

So, what are the strategies around this?

1 – Find another accountant who charges a cheaper price?
    2 – Bear the 3-5 yrs of no claiming of interest deductions and depreciation per property?
    3 – Change my strategy and start looking for only positive cashflow IPs?

I understand the benefits of a trust, but the numbers are not stacking up for our cashflow. So, either most people who use trust are already experts at investing and every property they get their hands on become positive'y geared very quickly, or most who use a trust have to deal with the medium term cashflow pain.

Regards
    Daniel

Hi Daniel

You can set up a trust yourself for as little as $257 (or less).
    You can set up a company yourself for $99 on the net plus the ASIC fee of about $400. Or you can go in to ASIC fill in some forms and just pay the $400.

You need to know what you are doing to do it yourself – there was a post here a few weeks ago by a person who set his own trust up and forgot to add the appointor.

I am not sure what the cost of a trust return is so much more than an individual.

Email Me

Participant
    @terryw
    PosEnterprises wrote:
    That is exactly what I was alluding to. Sorry about my wayward question.  Yes If you are a PAYE employee how do you get around this?  If you wanted to have the benefit now of borrowing in your own name but using a corporate trustee to hold the IP for you and future estate planning how do you do it.

It seems that getting finance is harder for full doc with a Trust or is only Lo or No doc lending that is hardest to get finance.

How do PAYE wage/salary earners buy through a trust if they are not self employed or have a business with lots of cashflow.

What accountant can give that advice or Finance Brokers with this level experience.

Hi Pos

If you are PAYE then it is hard to get some income into your trust. It is easier if you are self employed or run a part time business. Maybe you can find a relative or friend and do something creative.

You cannot have a benefit of your personally borrowing with the trust owning the asset – unless you use a unit trust type arrangement.

Finance is not really harder for trusts, but there are a few restrictions with Low Doc loans – ANZ and now St George won't lend to trusts

Email Me

Participant
    @terryw
    daniellee wrote:

Hi,

After re-reading the opinions and comments of many who responsed, I thought about the Discretionary Trust once more. It finally made no sense to me to be concerned with a few thousand in cashflow loss from not being able to claim the interest deductions and depreciation.

My partner and I discussed about the use of a Family Trust with Corporate trustee in greater detail, and I reworked the figures to include capital growth. Our cashflow loss will shrink over the years as rental income grows and depreciation reduces, and it became clear that after 5-7 yrs, distribution of capital growth to reduce tax when we do sell a property is going to be a bigger issue than the accumulated cashflow losses.

Sure, the loss of the negative gearing benefit is going to cramp our cashflow for a while, but that only means we have to bargain harder and buy better.

The workings I did was this:

Cashflow loss (Yr 1): -$8.3K (interest and depreciation)
    Capital gains (Yr 1): $21K (IP valued at $300K @ 7% growth)
    Net gains (Yr 1): $12.7K

Cashflow loss by Yr 5: -$40.9K (Accumulated interest and depreciation)
    Capital gains by Yr 5: $120.8K (IP capital growth over 5 yrs)
    Net gains by Yr 5: $79.9K

So, we will have a good problem of distributing the net gains between us. Assuming 50% CGT on the net gains, we are still talking about nearly $40K CG. This problem could be exacerbated if in 5 yrs time, our income nears the 30% income threshold. Then, at least if we were to have a corporate trustee, we can keep the money in the company to have it taxed at 30%, and not add the CG to our personal income and have it taxed at the next tax bracket; or we could spread that CG among our immediate family.

So, I will go back the accountant when she reopens for business in 2 – 3 wks time to discuss about setting up a DT with Corporate Trustee. Now, I am actually more concerned about dealing with the amount of capital gains that comes with selling a property than the accumulated cashflow loss, but that is a good problem to have, and am pretty confident a Trust is going to be helpful to us.

I read about the strategy of leaving the money in the company to have it taxed at corporate rates instead of the higher personal tax rates, just wanna check that this is all legal, right? 

Thanks, everyone for your help.

Regards
    Daniel Lee 

Hi Daniel

$8,000 per year is a big loss!

Did you know that CG cannot be offset by income losses? I have never had an income loss so am not too sure how it works, but this is something you should discuss with an accountant.

What I think it means is, using your above example, you will have to distribute the $120k capital gain and still keep rolling over the income loss in the trust until other income can be used to offset it. The 50% CGT discount can apply to the CG if it is distributed to an individual.

Email Me

@daniellee

Hi, Terry

Thanks for informing that the income losses can only be offset against other income. That is still alright. Have a large CG will have it all worthwhile.

That was our point initially, that if you almost never make an income loss, than a DT would make perfect sense.

Will check out about setting up a DT and company myself.

Regards
    Daniel

Participant
    @terryw

Also there are various rules with carrying forward losses in a trust. The trust may have to make a "family trust election" which may reduce the number of potential beneificiaries you can distribute to:

http://www.moorestraining.com.au/files%5CResearch%20Material%5CFamily%20Trust%20Elections%20_2_.pdf

So many things to consider!

Email Me

@dan42
    Terryw wrote:

Hi Daniel

Did you know that CG cannot be offset by income losses? I have never had an income loss so am not too sure how it works, but this is something you should discuss with an accountant.

What I think it means is, using your above example, you will have to distribute the $120k capital gain and still keep rolling over the income loss in the trust until other income can be used to offset it. The 50% CGT discount can apply to the CG if it is distributed to an individual.

Hi Daniel,

This is not correct. Capital Gains CAN be offset against income losses. It is only Capital Losses that must be offset against capital income.

You mentioned that your accountant quoted you $1000 for a trust tax return / financials. This seems high to me. For one rental property in a trust, you should be able to get it done for about half of that.

Dan

@posenterprises

Thanks Terry it made a lot more sense now. I now Know that if I try to purchase in a DT it would be pointless unless I am self employed and have the income to make sure I am not carrying any losses otherwise they will get trapped inside the Trust.

Also with the HDT it maybe a little harder to get finance which is the most important issue if trying to purchase another IP.

I have one more question though what if I want to sell my existing PPOR into a Trust and then borrow 100% from it to purchase another PPOR to live in.  As the old PPOR (IP) may not be positively geared will this make it hard. 

How can i keep my existing PPOR (IP) and also use the existing equity to buy another new PPOR and reduce the non-deductible debt on the new PPOR.

Hope that makes sense.

@daniellee

Hi,

Dan42: I always thought that Capital Gains could be offset again Income losses. I will confirm this with the Accountant. To be able to offset income loss again capital gains would be very nice, indeed.

The Accountant gave me a price list and said that to do the accounts for a Trust, the cost will be from $1000 onwards. Time for me to start enquiring about the cost of other accountants. I have not gone to an accountant before, so had no idea as to the price list. Then again, I got to find one with exposure to property investing.

Regards
    Daniel Lee

Participant
    @terryw
    Dan42 wrote:
    Terryw wrote:

Hi Daniel

Hi Daniel,

This is not correct. Capital Gains CAN be offset against income losses. It is only Capital Losses that must be offset against capital income.

You mentioned that your accountant quoted you $1000 for a trust tax return / financials. This seems high to me. For one rental property in a trust, you should be able to get it done for about half of that.

Dan

Dan,

You sure? I am not an accountant and have no losses to offset so I am not sure – though I will have to deal with Capital losses from shares next year.

My understanding is If it was a person, then the capital gain would be added to the person's income, so a low or negative income would mean the CG would be offset.

But with a trust, I thought the income retains its character and is passed on through to beneficiaries. So if a trust has a income loss and a capital gain they are treated separately. The capital gain is distributed. I don't think it can offset the loss before being distributed.

Any accountants out there who can confirm? Eddie? It may work out better if I am wrong.

Email Me

@dan42

Hi Terry,

You've got me thinking now!

We have completed trust tax returns for clients with a rental loss and capital gain, and it was fine to offset the income loss against the gain. You couldn't stream the income, eg give the gains to someone and the revenue loss to someone else. As long as the beneficiary received an overall amount of distribution, it was ok.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this may have changed only in the last year or two. I found this on the ATO website, which shows a similar situation:

Debra's trust distribution shows that she received $2,000 as her share of the net income of a trust.

This is made up of a primary production loss of $5,000, non-primary production income of $2,000 and a net capital gain of $5,000. (The net capital gain does not include any discounted gains.)

At the partnership/trust distributions section of her tax return, Debra will show a $5,000 loss from primary production and $5,000 non-primary production income (that is, $2,000 non-primary production income plus sufficient net capital gain [$3,000] to offset the loss from primary production).

Debra takes her remaining $2,000 net capital gain ($5,000–$3,000) from the trust into account in working out her net capital gain at the relevant item on her tax return.

So Debra has received an overall income loss from the trust, offset by capital gains.

Dan

Participant
    @terryw

Thanks Dan

Now you have me thinking. I actually have a new trust which is accumulating income losses due to a house being built, so I am interested in the answer. Though I am still not convinced with your example as it concerns primary production loss which is treated differently.

I will do some more research.

Thanks

Email Me

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 120 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.