All Topics / Help Needed! / $430k to $375k drop – please help

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of mrhmrh
    @mrh

Hi everyone. I purchased an investment unit in April 2003 for $430,000 – 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, underground carpark, opposite a park, 2 mins to westfield – the only negative is the low level of natural light. I bought during the boom.

I had an evaluation done in March and it came in at 375k. I own 370k on the mortgage at the moment. The place is rented for $375/week and the repayments are currently $713/week. I had the property up for sale until last month but it just didn't sell. It's on the first floor (commercial offices below) and a unit on the top floor sold for $350k passed in at auction.

I am thinking about putting it back on the market now that interest rates have dropped 1% – do you think this will help attract buyers? I really want to get rid of the property and want to put the mortgage repayments into my apartment I am living in.

Any advice here would be GREATLY appreciated.

Profile photo of CHISCHIS
    Participant
    @chis

If you need to sell drop the price. If the repayments aren't killing you, hang in there at $370. Can you do anything to make it more desirable? Sell the dream. A bit of bling. A bit of paint? Rent/borrow some classy furniture. Some nice wall hangings. Make it look like a display home. If you have tenants get rid of them. Some tenants that don't want you to sell it will leave it looking like a tip when people come to see it.

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester
    CHIS wrote:
    you have tenants get rid of them. Some tenants that don't want you to sell it will leave it looking like a tip when people come to see it.

You can't just get rid of tenants Chis. Legally, they have to be sold with the property – escpecially if they are inside of a fixed agreement. What is more, inspections have to be orgainsied at the tenants convienience. In a periodic tenancy, they can be given 3 months notice for renos, need of a family member to ocupy (and other similar clauses that have to be provable in a tribunal) or 6 months without a clause. The laws vary slightly from state to state but tenants have more rights than an investors fiscal motives – it's just that most of them don't know it.

As for the property, taking a 50K hit now may be better than a forced 150K hit in 2 years. If you can hold on, however, I am sure it's capital value will regain and increase from the purchase price long term.

Profile photo of TheYoungInvestorTheYoungInvestor
    @theyounginvestor

Which area is the unit in? i might be intrested?

Profile photo of mrhmrh
    @mrh

Thanks for the tips so far. The unit is in the parramatta area.

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

you have to look at the $338 extra your paying in rent thats $17,576 p/a. if you have owned for 5 years you have already lost approx $88k in interest today the unit owes you $518,000 if you sell today you loose $150k if you hold for 5 more years it will owe you near $600k do you think it will be worth $600k in 5 years. just one way to look at the dollar side of things

Profile photo of hbbehrendorffhbbehrendorff
    @hbbehrendorff

But how is that possible ? Property only goes up…

My advice,  Chill out for another 2 years,  Get some more equity,  Upgrade your 6.0 SS to a 4.0 Typhoon, Buy a jetski and think about how rich you will be in 2010 because property doubles every 7-10 years Thats means your property will now be worth $860 000 then in 2017 it will be worth  $1,720,000  wait how about I just make a table for you.

2024 – 3,440,000
    2031 – 6,880,000
    2038- 13,760,000
    2045- 27,520,000
    2052- 55,040,000
    2059- 110,080,000
    2066- 220,160,000

WOW by the year 2066 you will be like a 200 millionare you will be able to employ 100 servants and you will have your own personal space rocket in your backyard,  And you never even had to work for it !

I love you magical money,  your the best

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76
    hbbehrendorff wrote:

My advice,  Chill out for another 2 years,  Get some more equity,  Upgrade your 6.0 SS to a 4.0 Typhoon, Buy a jetski and think about how rich you will be in 2010 because property doubles every 7-10 years Thats means your property will now be worth $860 000 then in 2017 it will be worth  $1,720,000  wait how about I just make a table for you.

2024 – 3,440,000
    2031 – 6,880,000
    2038- 13,760,000
    2045- 27,520,000
    2052- 55,040,000
    2059- 110,080,000
    2066- 220,160,000

WOW by the year 2066 you will be like a 200 millionare you will be able to employ 100 servants and you will have your own personal space rocket in your backyard,  And you never even had to work for it !

Wow Another useless post by ,mdjsnhfehjgirehjrewbfkjrsbukk or whatever it is.
    And yet another PROPERTY ONLY GOES UP reference that seems to only ever come from gloomers themselves.

Back to the question

To me you have two options. Drop it significantly and pay of the remainder ASAP. By that time the market may be in better shape
    Or 
    Can you refinance. Interest only on $370,000 should be a lot lower than you a currently paying. Just be ready to see no growth for a while but if you are thinking long term like you should be anyway. Then its value in 10 years it what you will be concerned about. It may not be an ideal situation to be in but you have to do the best you can with what you got. Hope you find this info better than the trolling from the bottom feeder above.

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

Some say the area you are in is at the bottom now and therefore on the way up if you can refi and hold that may be your best option.  Its hard to advise not knowing your financial position.

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester

The thing about this property is that the rent equals to the rule of thumb for the current value. Each 100K of value should, give or take, cost $100 PW. If that rent is sustainable (which depends on unemployment levels, CPI and all that) then 375K may be the true value of the property. For the thread starter, this is something positve, atleast, meaning that, as bardon stated, the property mentioned may have lost all that it is going to.

The other interesting thing is that it was purchased in 2003. Imagine how much similar places went for in 2005, 2006 or 2007!? No matter what they went for, they are probably all worth around 375K. A return to 2002 prices was what I expected from the correction and using this property as a yardstick, it may work out more or less correct. True it is one property, in one area, but historically Sydney leads the curve in Australian property prices.

Profile photo of CHISCHIS
    Participant
    @chis
    hbbehrendorff wrote:

2024 – 3,440,000
    2031 – 6,880,000
    2038- 13,760,000
    2045- 27,520,000
    2052- 55,040,000
    2059- 110,080,000
    2066- 220,160,000

When I was a kid I used to listen to people like you. I wish I hadn't

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

What you don't say is how old the property is – if you bought it new/off the plan then you have had the benefit of huge depreciation allowances (which need to be added back to the sale price), you can't have your cake and eat it . You may need to face the reality that the property is no longer new and has depreciated by a) the developer's margin & the builder's margin b) loss of it's new status etc. New property does not perform well in the short term especially in a falling market.

Property is a long term investment, 4 years is not long term, in fact it isn't even the length of a property cycle. Wait another 3-4 years and the property will be back in the same position in the cycle as when it was purchased. (but not necessarily at the same value).

On the bright side, you should be able to carry forward your capital loss indefinitely (to offset against future capital gains).

Profile photo of DAMIENDAMIEN
    @damien

May I suggest?  Sell the unit, cut your losses, buy off the plan in Darwin.
    Darwin property prices HAVE NEVER REDUCED! Every 5 or 6 years they may plateau for a year but then up they go again.
    Darwin is immune from the problems seen in southern cities such as rising and then falling prices. Most of our investors now are people from south like you guys who have seen bright lights up north.
    Resourses like gas, minerals etc is driving our economy and we have just secured Japanese natural gas giant IMPEX who are ready to spend $12billion on a gas supply plant.
    I have just bought a high rise unit off the plan and I WILL be rolling in it in 2 years ($$$ i mean)
    Have a look, change your life!

Profile photo of newbi2newbi2
    @newbi2

So D,

What are you selling?

Profile photo of DAMIENDAMIEN
    @damien
    newbi2 wrote:
    So D,

What are you selling?

No No, I'm not an agent or anything. I'm just a salary public servant excited about my latest venture.

If I'm selling anything, it would be my town!

Cheers

Profile photo of kum yin laukum yin lau
    @kum-yin-lau

hi, do you dare do the unthinkable? There's option 3 – look for the best property you can get in Parramatta at this point in time. There may be some desperate seller & you can get a +ve reply to a lowball offer.

It's dollar cost averaging in property investment.

And I may suggest that 5% yield in property is quite a good return. That's why few people want to be landlords.

Long ago, I bought a mistake like you. $166200 rented for $400 a month. In hindsight, I should have sold at a loss [$105000] then I wouldn't have had to stress out. I could have bought a house 2 years later at the rock bottom of the market & then sold ten years later at the highest point.

Note: could have, should have.

Point is: I don't know what I would have done, most likely NOTHING. In which case, the result would be nothing. No debt, no house, no worry.

As it happened, I wore myself down to repay a huge shortfall & ten years later, I sold for $310000.

It's a process called forced saving.

If you sell your IP, do you have the discipline to pay what it costs you now to own it?

By all means, sell your IP if you have a better plan to forge ahead faster but remember you lose tax advantages if you use the proceeds to pay down PPOR. Why not do both concurrently? Hold IPs & pay down PPOR at the same time.

Sorry only you can make the decision. The rest of us just throw words at you to confuse you further!
    KY

Profile photo of mrhmrh
    @mrh

Thanks for the replies – most are helpful. The property was bought off the plan in 2003 sorry I forgot to mention that. My PPOR was bought in Oct 06 for $385,000 in the inner west and seems to be doing well. Like I said I had the place up for sale about 3-4 months ago with no luck.

What do you think the chances are of the property selling if I put it on the market once again?

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

The chances are you have to drop the price to meet the demand… if the unit on the top floor sold for 350k.. Well I guess that you have to drop it to match A$350k (at the most)….
    I hate to say that.. despite falling interest.. but it is still very difficult to sell….only agents that told you about bull market when interest falls. Our CPI > 5% and economic growth is sluggish with unemployment rate is heading towards 9%…AND of course we HAVE LABOUR goverment… which make it worst.

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

you made a mistake. you set your house on fire (by buying a rediculously negatively geared property at the top of a boom).

currently you are out the front, watching it burn, while asking "what should I do?"

1. you could close your eyes and hope the fire goes out (ride it out)
    2. grab a hose and try to put out the flames (lower your price)
    3. watch it burn to the ground (do nothing)

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Hi, work  in Parra, and there was a lot, buildings going up then.

Can you tell us the outgoings ????

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.