All Topics / General Property / redcliffe investment?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of Event HorizonEvent Horizon
    @event-horizon

Anyone investing in redcliffe/scarborough area brisbane, I seen a few yr+ old threads like REDCLIFFE MANIA but whats happening now. Is it Still a good place to invest long term? (I know its been going quite well last 12months, about 20%). If so any particular areas recommended or even areas to avoid, i heard kippa-ring / deception bay may be a bit more rundown than redcliffe (not that thats a bad thing for investors) . Im not from the area and just sussing it out at this stage, any advise appreciated thanks especially from locals on the ground.

Profile photo of bruhambruham
    Participant
    @bruham

G'day E H,

I invested in Scarborough Qld in November 2007.
    I couldn't find any  part of Scarbo. or Redcliffe that was not up to scratch. although i did in Deception Bay.
    Like you , i  didn't know the area at all. I'm from Sydney.
    I went looking in Wynnum area. All the so called property experts predict  Wynnum to be a hotspot.
     Absolutely hated the place. Like living in western suburbs of Sydney. Asked the locals about the place. Told them i was thinking of living there. (no way in hell would i ). Mudflats and mosquitos.
    Looked at a street directory, saw redcliffe and Scarborough.
    Scarborough and Redcliffe actually have real beaches.
    I prefered the beach side of Scarborough. It is more natural than the Newport part.
    I bought in James street Scarborough, just around the corner from Queens  and Queens North beaches.
    It's like Sydney's Northern Beaches were twenty years ago.
    Hope this helps.
    bruham.

Profile photo of Event HorizonEvent Horizon
    @event-horizon

hi bruham

yes thanks for that, yep that all sounds good, I think scarboroughs the go two, and glad you agree as you said its  ilke northern beaches of sydney 20yrs ago, ( i grew up around terrey hills so know it well). Yes wynum has less appeal for me but I can see its value being close to Manly which is now quiet expensive in comparison and much closer to Brisneyland  than Redcliffe. However in Scarborough there seems to be alot going on from my quick observation from afar. THere seems to be alot of large blocks in scarborough and anything over 800m2 is a basically a development site and selling well.  Hence the sale of many houses on large blocks and mutlipule block sales. Obviously scarboroughs set for lots of up market apartments/developments in the future which should bring in more infastructure, cafes and lifestyle oportunities to further fuel growth. Dont know james street will look it up. Good luck with it.

EH

Profile photo of Ben LJHBen LJH
    Participant
    @ben-ljh

Dear EH,

I manage investment properties in this area, and i have noticed that prices have gone up quite a bit.  When i first started looking after houses, they were around the $200 mark and now they have shot up through the roof.  Anyone who gets in here will have stability on the property as rental prices are starting to inflate in area's like this as more and more developments happen.  For investment purposes I suggest D'Bay but anything in the area is good.

Profile photo of bruhambruham
    Participant
    @bruham

G'day EH,

The new infastucture is being built now.
    There's the Gateway duplication going on.
    There's the completion of the second bridge across from Brighton to Woody point. Called Houghton Highway.
    Plus they onto digging the new tunnel etc being built between the airport and the city of Brisbane.
    This must put "us" in the right spot at the right time. Sad it will be a toll road.
    This is all good news for "us".
    EH,  i'm in Narrabeen as i only live and invest near beaches.

bruham.

Profile photo of TracyDTracyD
    @tracyd

We bought in Dbay in Feb 2006. 3 bedder highset, dumpy looking place, 600 metres from beach for $180k.
    I looked at the developement in the area, large franchises going up, roadworks and also rental vacancies were 0%.
    Just had the place valued last month at $299k! But more importantly, Dbay was known as a dodgy area and we had dodgy tenants that came with the house. We recently got new tenants who are nice and clean and pay an extra $50 per week rent, so i think the demographic is changing for the positive.  I would still buy there as the predictions for increase in prices around Brisbane is supposed to average 22% up to 2011 (BIS schrapnel report)
    When you think about it , it is a beach location only 25 minutes drive from Major city!

Profile photo of Event HorizonEvent Horizon
    @event-horizon

hi tracyd

havent been to Dbay for a while, not since i lived in Brisneyland a few yrs back so which is the nicest pocket, is it in the triangle between old bay rd (park road) and deception bay rd ,ie east of old bay rd on the northern side of Deception bay rd… I seem to remember this is the old established part as there are alot of nasty new house development areas that i would like to avoid if i go down the Dbay route. Wheres your place? where are the main shops ie not the shopping megshoppolis centre but the community small shops to buy the milk etc.  I assume theres a local.. 22% sounds right, id say thats conservative for the area given 12-14% per annum compounded is the long term trend.  Better to buy in a long term performer than a hot spot I always say in the long run it will be the better performer if your buy and hold like me.

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

I like Woody Point & Scarborough, just sold a place in Kippa-ring. wouldnt buy that suburb again. The peninsula is still horribly undervalued & I wouldnt be surprised if it doubled in price over the next 5 yrs.

D'Bay is a hole & every time we go there we come back feeling icky.

The market hasnt really fallen much if any, and as I recently discovered, sellers arent very motivated. Ive put in a few offers & the counters have been right near ask price & they wont budge.

I thought I was smart to sell for 390k (ask was 399k) but now I find I dont get much of a replacement for that $$$$$. Now looking at Sydney as I cant find what I want here.

for the locals, after using MANY extremely LOUSY agents in the area, I found a fantastic one:
    http://www.professionalsredcliffesouth.com.au/staff_profile?employee_id=626

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.