All Topics / Help Needed! / Costly tenant – ongoing issues!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of annareannare
    Participant
    @annare

Hi there,

any thoughts appreciated.

Not sure what I should do…

I have an investment property in a country town in Queensland.
    Nice little cottage in reasonable condition.
    Agent is not really an agent more a stock and land person.
    Very relaxed. So  i do not get a good service in terms of management of the property.
    In the past it was not a problem as the last tenant paid their rent and it all went along smoothly.

With the new one nothing is flowing. and the agent is not really up to spead in managing the problem.

Tenant has accidently caused fire in the kitchen, smoke damage needs repainting etc.
    And months later has still not rectified the damage.
    I am always paying for fence repairs, she has two large dogs which I wasn't aware of at the time she took the property.
    There always seems to be something getting broken and repaired at my cost. This month $570.00 for general bits and pieces, new door, hinge broken etc etc.the rent is only $120.00 per week.

Now…
    The tenant has complained of cockroaches and wants the property treated.
    She complained of termites last month – $360 later the pest people found no termites.

Anyway does anyone know if this is this is part of my responsibility as an owner – the cockroach problem.

This tenant seems to find something to do on the property every week.
    I am starting to wonder if it is an attention thing or are they just very rough etc.
    I live in another state so it is very hard to assess.

But I am finding it very draining financially and emotionally at the moment.
    I want my property kept in good condition and also want the tenant to live in a pleasant and functional home. But I am wondering if there is something else going on. Starting to wonder if I should change tenant or just sell?

The only thing is when all is going well the property is positvely geared.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Profile photo of trakkatrakka
    @trakka

Firstly, can you get a better PM, who is more in-tune with resi property management?

Can you get somebody – maybe even a fellow forum member – to go and check the place out and let you know how things are looking?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Sounds like a complainer. It must be very stressful – I had one like this before with the property manager just ringing me weekly with new things to fix. I did so at first and then just had to start saying "no". Maybe you should ask her to leave, saying you are going to sell the place or something, and then find a new tenant.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of bendbanksbendbanks
    Participant
    @bendbanks

This is an easy one. The tenant under the act must in writing via letter then a breach notice inform you of any issues they have. Pest are in fact your problem and you should the property treated every 12 months or so I think is the normal. However if the tenant under their one steam does work then they do so unless in writing between yourself and the tenant at their (the tenant) own cost. What you need to do is get yourself a proper PM ( I can provide you with a list should you need it) and then let them sort it out.

?????

Is the tenant with holding rent until you fix things or threatening to with hold, if so then this is in breach of the act as a tenant can at no time with hold rent unless the tribunal rules that until a situation is fixed no rent is to be paid

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of justgjtjustgjt
    Participant
    @justgjt

Hello Annare

1.  Is there a current lease in place or is the tennant on a periodical. Get them to vacate
    2.  Was there "no pets" on the signed lease, if so the tennant is in breach of the lease and get them to vacate.
    3.  You can just give them the required notice ofr them to vacate
    4.  You can also serve notice to the PM but not if there is no other PM in the town?

Its stressfull, but at the end of the day, its a business and not a charity.

Profile photo of annareannare
    Participant
    @annare

Thank you all for all your input.
    And listerning to me grumbling!

My tenant has a 6 month lease. and does get behind but pays okay. But I have had trouble tracking it as my PM Ray White until recently did not take on management of properites. He finds a tenant and then you look after it  yourself. ( which initially worked out okay with the first tenant). He is very nice and tries hard to do the right thing. 
    Recently he has taken on manging the rent at my request – but it is a first for him and he gets work done without telling me. So there is some fine tuning required.

The property is in Hughenden a very small town 4 hours from Townsville so quite hard to find other options. You really have to work with what is there and I am finding it one of the negatives of  investing in such a small town.

Unfortunately there is only one other option re: PM as far as I am aware – in town who my friend uses to manage her property, he is equally relaxed. Sends a cheque to her once a month, no modern system and she has to orgnaise anything else. Fortunately she is having a good run with her tenant.

So that is an option to change over to him and see if things improve.

Thankyou for the advice re pest control and owner responsibilities

Profile photo of BDMBDM
    Participant
    @bdm

Hi Annare,

Perhaps this might be an opportunity for you to help educate the Property Manager ?

You mention that Property Management is new to him / his agency.  Ray White have agencies all over the place, so the infrastructure, systems and support for the Property Management side of things is well and truely set up.  It is just a case of your agent using the resources available to him.

Maybe hit the Ray White website, and find all the details about property management in Qld….. I'm sure it will all be there.

Send the link to your agent !!  Suggest that he might like to go and have a look at the place and check out any issues (like cockroaches, damage, broken stuff, dogs, etc).  He might charge for this, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Ask him, in his opinion, is the tenant carrying on like a pork chop ?  Or is the tenanant justified in their requests ?

I agree with TerryW – sounds like you have a "complainer".  There will come a point when you may need to say "no".  If they complain again, as long as it's not a vitally important request, tell them they are welcome to move somewhere else at their expense….

Profile photo of annareannare
    Participant
    @annare

Thank you that is very practical and logical advice.

I will look into it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.