All Topics / General Property / Passing on Interest rate rises to tenants?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of RockianRockian
    @rockian

Hi,

Just wondering how other people are passing on the added costs of the recent rises in Interest rates. Most of us would be paying an extra 1.5% or so since rates began their rapid rise about 18mths ago. This amounts to around 4.5k on a 300k loan which would need a rise of $90/wk to cover. I know that rents have been going up but is it feasible to pass on the extra costs to investors? I am sure that I wouldn't be able to pass on even 50% of the costs in such a short period. Guess I just have to absorb the extra costs and hope I can make it up in rising Capital gains.

I suppose it would be handy in this market to have short term leases to maximise the adjustments.

Ian 

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

In Sydney rents are rapidly rising. But I think you can only charge what the market rate is, otherwise tenants will just move. If there is a huge shortage, then they don't have anywhere to go though!!

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of trakkatrakka
    @trakka
    Ian Landy wrote:
    Just wondering how other people are passing on the added costs of the recent rises in Interest rates.

Um, we aren't.  Where did you get the idea that you can do that?

Ian Landy wrote:
    Guess I just have to absorb the extra costs and hope I can make it up in rising Capital gains.

Yes, that's why we invest.

Profile photo of suavemechanicsuavemechanic
    Participant
    @suavemechanic

im thinking the tennants deserve to pay market rental
    which may or may not be linked to your interest rates
    if you want more for the same premises during a lease period you may have to consider giving them some thing
    fridges, cable tv,and high speed internet spring to mind
    after running a business during the eighties and paying 18 to 25 %
    i fix my loans and it works for me
    as i understand it the rate rises would increase my negative gearing so the government takes half the hit every time
    that helps
    cheers

Profile photo of emu1208emu1208
    @emu1208

I look after my tennant well, cause i want them to look after my property well..  I recently install aircondition, automatic garage and exhause fans.  I waited until lease expired then increase rent by $10 a week.  Rate increase are unfortunate and its not fair if you pass it on to the tennant, you can get it back via negarive gearing..
    cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.