All Topics / Creative Investing / 60K to spend the best property Options

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of Asbestos Audits QueenslandAsbestos Audits Queensland
    Participant
    @aaq

Heres the Challenge!

I have 60k to invest how do I get the most benefit out of it.

Guys – open to all suggestions

Background: I Have own business which I work in 7 days a week about to complete a large contract :I have PPOR valued at 490-550K  owing 190K on fixed loan till next year of 6.53%. No investment properties

Buy 1 investment property 60K deposit as 20% of LVR

Buy 2 or more if possible small retirement units with good returns

Buy 1 or 2 villas or onsite vans in mining towns

Pay down mortgage

Use equity in PPOR and cash in other versions of above

Or hold onto cash and wait and go to Steves seminar in Melbourne!

Looking forward to all suggestions

Asbestos Audits Queensland | Asbestos Audits Queensland
    https://asbestosaudits.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Any asbestos questions ask me.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Whatever you do, I think paying the $60,000 off your home loan first would be a good option. This will save you interest – interest which you cannot get any deductions for. Once you pay it into the loan you can then reborrow it and claim the interest if you use it for deposits on investment properties.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Please do not use the $60K as a deposit whilst you still have a non tax deductible home loan.

If you are unable to pay this amount of your home loan due to the fixed rate see whether your lender can offer you a 100% offset account against the loan (Some lenders allow this on fixed rated products) or alternatively use the available equity and offset the $60,000 against a new investment property loan until your fixed rate expires when you can make a capital reduction.

Keep the loans separate to avoid any cross collateralising problems.

Your mortgage broker should be able to adapt a suitable structure to accomadate your requirements.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Asbestos Audits QueenslandAsbestos Audits Queensland
    Participant
    @aaq

Hi Guys;
    Thanks for the comments , my wife is just going to love it. That was her opinion.

These sort of lump sums do not come along very often (ever) so I was hoping to do more with it than continue paying off the mortgage.

I'm still open to anyone brave enough to suggest anything else!

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    AAQ wrote:
    Hi Guys;
    Thanks for the comments , my wife is just going to love it. That was her opinion.

These sort of lump sums do not come along very often (ever) so I was hoping to do more with it than continue paying off the mortgage.

I'm still open to anyone brave enough to suggest anything else!

The two wisest heads have spoken!

So, no need to listen to any others.

Profile photo of MrFairGoMrFairGo
    @mrfairgo

You are in for some fairly advanced calculations, but…

I'd go through the TOTAL savings of paying down your home loan, over, say 3 years…

then see how that amount stacks up against what else you can do with it.

Personally, with 60k  I'd try to control about 6 houses that return $100/week each (clear) plus a lump sum of about $30k each within the 3 years.  If you are good at negotiating you might be able to control more than 6 with that cash, but I tend to use about 10k to get control of a house via a Lease Option when using a real estate agent.  However, [1] you'd need to know what you were doing so as to minimise risk to virtually zero (this knowledge costs about 3k to get quickly), and [2] your wife would need to be comfortable with it, otherwise it's not worth the exercise.  Wives are more important than money!

I'd calculate the total income over the three years (less tax), compare it with the pay-down-home-mortgage scenario and make my decision then.  Then use the gross profit to purchase a buy-and-hold type property (a "keeper" with low maintenance high yeild etc).  This is a lot more messy and difficult that paying down the home loan, so you need to decide if it's worth your effort and time.

You, however, may prefer to purchase one property in the "normal" way using the 60k as deposit, and then wrap or lease-option it to return at least 100/week over your payments, plus a lump of profit of around $30k within three years.

All depends on where you are in your investing career, your expertise, time available, and tolerance to risk.

…but you did ask us what WE would do.   :)

Cheers

Mr Fair Go

Profile photo of davemurraydavemurray
    @davemurray

Buy 6 Volxwagen Kombys…

In a few years they'll be worth a lot!

And when your wife finds out what you did with the money, you'll always have a place to sleep!

– dm.

Participant
    @aaq

Kombi's Huh

Is that like the market for ostriches a bit of a tax haven………

Thank you all for your truthful and amusing answers I will post here what I end up doing with it. 

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @aaq

Hi Guys;
    It been a while- what I did with the 60K – 40K on the home loan, 10K for things that needed to be done-house repairs, credit cards etc and 10K in the stock market.
    Kept the wife happy by paying down the home loan and getting house stuff done and invested 10 in stock (just before big drop which is now worth about 3k).

Thanks again for the advice

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.