All Topics / Finance / Buying under Property Investor TRUST: Much Harder to get Finance ?

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Profile photo of dave.murphydave.murphy
    @dave.murphy

Terryw, thank you for your input.
    Other reason considering Chan&Naylor's Property Investor trust, is that I can pass on the assett ownership to other people without triggering CGT and stamp duty, and still has land tax treshold (except NSW), while has no vesting date.

So, I think I will consider lower value property / low growth to be allocated under personal name, and higher value (for example >$1M) under trust.

Profile photo of PAPSPAPS
    @paps

Hi all,

I am still learning so someone like Richard will be able to confirm or deny the following.  My understanding of one of the differences between the Hybrid Trust and a Discretionary Trust is the way Negatively Geared properties are handled.

A Hybrid allows you to claim the tax benefits on the rental losses made from an IP each year.  The Discretionary Trust losses can only be claimed once the IP is sold.

Cheers
    Ben

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Ben

Your understanding is correct.

However bear in mind the ATO are currently looking very closely at HDT to ensure they were set up correctly.
    A Unit Trust maybe an option if the negative gearing claim is important to you.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Asbestos Audits QueenslandAsbestos Audits Queensland
    Participant
    @aaq

Hello;
    Have just set up family trust at $900 with our personal names as Trustees extra cost may be from setting up company as well to be trustee another $900-$1100. Our accountant was not friendly on hybrid trusts when I brought it up. We run consulting business where PI costs are large per year and chance of law suit a reality with law suit possible greater than PI available (ours through Lloyds of London because since HIH went belly can't get it here ) – but most people don't -so be sure you really need these added layers of protection.
    Plan to purchase properties with large deposits to make cash flow positive in as short as time as possible or purchase further out with added risk of vacancy.

Asbestos Audits Queensland | Asbestos Audits Queensland
    https://asbestosaudits.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Any asbestos questions ask me.

Profile photo of Albert WaldronAlbert Waldron
    Participant
    @albert-waldron

This is my first post so I hope I don't offend anyone.

The issues that usually arise when using the Chan & Naylor "Property Investor Trust" generally comes down to the quality of the mortgage broker or finace person you are dealing with.

Writing loans everyday for clients who are using the Trust for various reasons I do a lot of work "educating" and working with credit teams of many of the Banks. Generally it is no harder than getting a non trust loan approved once the ground work has been done and the right people are involved.

I am sure the other experienced guys would agree that when you have something like a trust or any other out of the box issue involved you need to be providing a greater level of information and explanation. For a person new to the industry or working in a Branch front counter who may have literally only a few weeks experience they may have no idea what a Trust is our how it works.

Most lenders are much happier to lend to PAYG first home buyers and work on a "fit it into a box" low cost model so that anything "out of the ordinary" is passed around until it finally ends up with the experienced guy .

ASK ASK ASK the broker or person you are dealing with some basic questions like; how many trust loans have you written? What is a appointor? What is the difference between a discretionary trust or hybrid trust?
    If they can't answer you straight away, find someone who can.

Albert Waldron | Awesome Lending Solutions
    http://www.awesomelendingsolutions.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Tailored solutions to build wealth through property

Participant
    @qlds007

Albert 

I think we all accept that many inexperienced Brokers or Bankers have absolutely NO idea when it comes to Trust structures and the reason why they are used however think you will also find many more experienced lenders are moving away from lending where certain Trusts  are involved directly as a result of ATO rulings.

I talk with Senior credit guys daily and more and more are being swayed by legal opinion.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Lenders deal with trusts all day long. They usually know about them and the various different types of trusts, but the lenders do have policies (which they seem to ignore sometimes). Many lenders are concerned about third party borrowers – loan in a name other than the title holder. If there is a person as trustee, then it will be much easier.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of rowvilleknoxrowvilleknox
    @rowvilleknox

Hi all,

I have a family trust with my company being trustee along with myself and spouse.
    The trust owns my business and I have just bought  my first investment property under the trust . I have obtanied loan from CBA and ING (MYRATE) However,my spouse and myself have sign as co borrowers? Does this not defeat the purpose of the trust. If we have to be guarantors My current house will be on the line. Can I refuse this? They also wanted a list of all my assets and liabilities. They should only have hold on my investment property and nothing else.

Participant
    @terryw
    rowvilleknox wrote:
    Hi all,

I have a family trust with my company being trustee along with myself and spouse.
    The trust owns my business and I have just bought  my first investment property under the trust . I have obtanied loan from CBA and ING (MYRATE) However,my spouse and myself have sign as co borrowers? Does this not defeat the purpose of the trust. If we have to be guarantors My current house will be on the line. Can I refuse this? They also wanted a list of all my assets and liabilities. They should only have hold on my investment property and nothing else.

Hi

It is standard for a lender to seek a personal guarantee. There are ways to minimise the risk by only having one person guarantee the loan, but you need to have your trust set up properly.

You also should not run a business through the same trust as one that holds assets. If the business gets sued, then the assets would be at risk. Never use the trustee company to run a business either.

If you run your business through a company with the shares owned by the same trust, then that is ok as shareholders are not liable for company debts – unless they give guarantees.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of danielleedaniellee
    @daniellee

Hi

Interesting topic, as I am working on finding an accountant to help me with a DT with Corporate Trustee.

Can someone advise on this…

If my partner and I set up a DT with a company as the Trustee, and us as Directors in the company, then when it comes to getting the banks to lend to the company, can we still borrow up to 90% LVR? Or are we limited to 80%LVR? Assuming we give personal guarantees.

Or is having a company as a Trustee an overkill, and it is good enough to simply remove the company and have us as the trustees of the DT, so that we can continue to access up to 90% LVR with lenders. Our investing strategy includes borrowing up to 90% LVR to invest, and putting excess capital gains and income into the company to be taxed at Corporate tax rates instead of the personal marginal rates.

Regards
    Daniel

Participant
    @qlds007

Daniel

With many lenders the fact you are borrowing in a Trust structure with a Corporate Trustee makes no difference to their lending policy and 90 or even 95% LVR is achievable.

Obviously this is not the case with every lender.

Profile photo of danielleedaniellee
    @daniellee

Hi, Richard

Thanks for the quick response. I am asking because I am going off to meet an accountant tomorrow, so I wanted to be as sure as I possibly can.

My other question would be:

If we proceed with a DT with Corporate trustee, are Full doc loans still accessible to us? Or do we have to resort to Lodoc loans and their higher interest rates to get the type of LVR that we want?

Clearly, it depends on every lender, but generally speaking?

Regards
    Daniel

Participant
    @qlds007

Yes full doc loans are still available with the income of the Trustees and or Directors being considered.

Profile photo of Investment-MortgagesInvestment-Mortgages
    @investment-mortgages

I have spent considerable time investigating the chan naylor property trust with the tax department, scams dept ect etc.
    A FAIRLY big accountant warned that the tax dept were out to shut down the chan naylor trusts as they were breaching a few
    "rules"
    After many calls emails ect(to the ato asic scams ect)a they pretty much came back and said it looked ok. It hasnt been flagged as a dodgy scam or the like
    and if i really was worried a private ruling would need to be served. I know personally a few people who haved purchased the trust so i was going to do a bit of homework before i did. The 3k price is becuase they have trademarked the Hybrid/discretionary advantaged mixed in. Somewhat over priced if you were using it for negitivly geared the advantages are there. especially if you wanted to transfer assets later on!(children etc.)

I will be a bit nervous spending 3k on a sort of A$500 document however it will be worth it in a few years.
    The saying short term pain-long time pleasure…..

Info previous to this is very informative..

Matt

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Matt

I am sure the Chan and Naylor PIT has been through a few stages with frequent updating. A trust deed from a few years ago would not be the same as one produced today as things are constantly changing such as Land Tax rules (in NSW) and the ATO has recently put out a few warnings on hybrid trusts/

A few years ago many accountants were of the opionion that the higher income earner could negative gear and any capital gains could go to the lower income earner. Apparently this is not the case and never had been the case as it is not commercial.

$3,000 is a lot for a trust deed – especially now that they are limited in saving land tax in NSW and negative gearing restrictions.

Apparently they claim to have no vesting date and so can last forever. This is achieved through using South Australian state laws as this is the only state without the law of perpetuities.

Email Me

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.