All Topics / Finance / Do you opt for principal and interest loans or interest only loans?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of LeilahLeilah
    @leilah

Hi Everyone

Another question (hope I am not bothering anyone).

What do you tend to use for IPs, principal and interest loans or interest only loans? If you use an interest only loan do you do this for the life of the loan or for a limited period before it becomes principal and interest? I am not sure how a loan could be an interest only loan for the life of the loan as this would mean that you would never end up outright owning the property at the end of the loan. Could someone explain this to me?

Sorry if this question is obvious but am still learning the ropes.

Thanks and cheers,

Leilah

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I use IO to maximise cashflow.

When I have accumulated enough property I will start on the Principal.  I honestly don't care if I never pay off the properties and die with a debt.  I don't feel the need to own anything outright.

I just want the rising capital value and the rising income streams.  I let inflation take care of the property value.

My parents bout Sydney waterfront in the 70's.  If they never paid down their loan they would owe $40K on a property worth in excess of $2M .  Do you think never "owning" that property would worry them??

This concept of having to pay off a property is a mental block that all newcomers to investing must tackle.

Cheers,

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi Leilah. After a certain period, the loan converts from interest only (say, 1st 10 years) to P&I for the remaining term (last 20 years) with payments adjusted acordingly.Hard to plan that far ahead eh? All the best.

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

Yes, IO will maximise your cash flow as Simon said :)

Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv
    Xenia wrote:
    Yes, IO will maximise your cash flow as Simon said :)

IO will also maximise your deductions as you will have a constant debt for that property which is tax-deductable and not a decreasing one.

Chris.

Profile photo of HutchHutch
    Participant
    @hutch

All our developments and IPs are IO for most of the reasons posted above.
    (But I do have P&I on my PPOR, as it was mt first property that I purchased 8 years ago and wasn't interested in IPs at that stage!)

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Hopefully the value of the house goes up in value over time where as the loan balance remains the same.

Profile photo of HandyAndy888HandyAndy888
    @handyandy888
    Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

At least with IO you have the choice of paying extra when you have the money (like a PI loan) and can then reduce your repayments if need be. With a PI loan you are stuck in paying PI.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.