All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Which trust would you recommend? Unit or discretionary?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Profile photo of Reillys DadReillys Dad
    @reillys-dad

Hi

I recommend Denis Barlin, a lawyer with Cosoff Cudmore Knox in Sydney. His number is 02 9230 7700. He is very good on these areas. Tell him that Donal Griffin referred you. I am a financial adviser if you need any (non property) investment advice.

Regards

Enigma_Syd wrote:
    Hi Guys

To continue this discussion, I have a few questions. I am thinking of setting up a trust to funnel my investment income. I'm looking for advice regarding:
    1. The pros and cons of using the trust system vs. a company vs. investing as an individual. As background, I am single and do not hold any property, an Australian Permanent Resident and intend to invest long-term as opposed to trading. Basically looking for any tax advantages and possibly future income splitting.
    2. How easy/difficult it is to transfer assets under my name to that of a trust. Further, what are the tax implications in this situation?
    3. How would one go about setting this up? Can you recommend a good lawyer/accountant in Sydney?

Thanks guys and appreciate all the help!

Cheers,
    Enigma

Edit: I am looking primarily at a discretionary trust + company structure. Possibly looking to funnel income to the company and use the trust as a holding structure (for flexibility w/distributions in the future)

Profile photo of mu5humu5hu
    @mu5hu
    Terryw wrote:
    Jacki wrote:

I can't help with any of the preceeding questions as am new to the game myself. However I have a question regarding unit trusts and potential dangers when splitting units.

I have just a read a book that recommends (when negative gearing) issuing income units to the main income earner to gain maximum tax benefits from the loss and the capital units to the non (or low)-income earner so if you sell, minimum CGT applies. If this is a husband and wife, in the event of divorce (hopefully never happens), would setting up a trust this way leave the person with the capital units with the ownership of the property – or would the property still get split equally?

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Jacki

Hi Jacki

That book must be out of date now. It would not be possible for a set up like this to pass muster with the ATO as there would be no commercial reason for the unit hold to buy the units if they would not be entitled to the capital gain.
    see http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.ht…/NAT/ATO/00001

If it was set up like this, then the family law court could still look at the set up and divide the asset in a manner they think fair. They have the power to look behind companys and trusts.

I too read a book that was published in 2005 that said you can issue the income units to the higher income earner while the lower income earner with the capital units using the UT.

Terryw, the address you attached to that post isnt complete and includes the … in the address so could you please copy the full link because i am interested in that link. Thanks!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Mu

Funny how this site converts the http address. I had to do some searching, but found it, TA 2008/3.
    http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?DocID=TPA/TA20083/NAT/ATO/00001
    or click here

While searching for the correct address, I came across a few other interesting links on HDTs.

Using hybrid trusts – advanced tax planning or tax nightmare?

http://www.ntaa.com.au/download.asp?RelatedLinkID=169 or click here

EDITED VERSION OF NOTICE OF PRIVATE RULING Authorisation Number: 28993
    http://www.ato.gov.au/rba/content.asp?doc=/rba/content/28993.htm
    Click

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of tonyy21692tonyy21692
    @tonyy21692

Hi Terry

I guess the problem I have is that tax law in this country now seems to be made on the run (TA's are effectively press releases)by some pinhead in Canberra who is using their value judgement.

It seems the best course of action is to always get a private binding ruling.  (for those that reckon its only an opportunity for the ATO to say no – I can only say this has not been my experience todate)

Regards

Tony

PS the PBR only covers the deductiblility of interest conflicting with the TA.  It doesn't cover the issue of distributing future capital gains to beneficiaries on lower MTR nor the catchall of Part IVa

Profile photo of Zabeel01Zabeel01
    @zabeel01

Hi there, I am hoping for some advice…

I have a business which is a partnership. We currently have a lot of assetts and our business doesn't pay any tax at the moment because of the depreciation.  However, we feel we are at risk if we were to be sued, someone could claim our assets.

We were thinking of opening a company to trade with, with my husband and I as sole directors and at the same time a Trust to hold all the assetts with my husband and I as beneficiaries.  We would then trade under the Company as trustee for the trust.

I am not sure if this would be beneficial in the ways we need…

Our main goals are:

1)  Total assett protection.

2)  A continued ability to offset the trading income with the depreciating assetts.

3)  Minimum tax rates and associated fees.

Also we have lost a large amount of assetts during the QLD floods, and have gained a large amount again now to be depreciation newly this tax year so I would like to set this up so we can claim the remaining depreciation loss from the old assetts somehow still and also include the new assetts into the new trust rather than transferring them in order to save costs?  Would this work??

Any advice would be GREAT :)

Participant
    @terryw

You are at risk.. Parternships should be avoided as you are liable for what the other person does.

But, you should seek legal advice because there are claw back provisiosn under the bankruptcy act. So if something does happen and you are sued and end up bankrupted then any assets you had transferred to the trust will be at risk of being clawed back for creditors.

You should also never own assets in a trading trust as if the trust goes down the assets of the trust are at risk. Use a separate structure to own assets.

And be very wary of using 2 directors. Directors often go down with the ship so why risk both of you?

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@zabeel01

Thankyou so much for answering!  

Can I ask you, as you seem to know your stuff, if the assetts are in the trust and the company is the separate trading business trading as trustee for the trust, does this still make the assetts available to anyone sueing??  And can we still offset our depreciation against our business income even though the assetts depreciating are in the trust?

I was told if the company was the trading business and trustee for the trust that the assetts were in, then the assetts were safe as we would be sole directors of a company that owns nothing & they can’t sue the Trust because we would be beneficiaries only, and beneficiaries cant be sued.  Is this true?

Also, would you suggest just making one of us a director?  Would this leave the other person more vulnerable? What would their role be??  Please excuse my ignorance!!

Thankyou so much for your time

@zabeel01

me again…been studying up on everything involved in running a company and the tax laws, all the ins and outs geez what a headache, I am wondering…With the set up of the PPSR, wouldn't it be easier to stay a Partnership and then have all our assetts registered under someone we trust as having a security interest over them, and then if anyone tried to sue or take assetts they could touch nothing as it is all already used as security elsewhere?

Any thoughts??

Profile photo of stu_maccastu_macca
    @stu_macca

Hi,

I'm also looking at setting up a trust. Primary reasons are allow us to divert income to the lower income earner in the future (perhaps when we have more passive income and one can invest full time), asset protection and to be able to pass money in to the kids efficiently.

I have recently been advised by my buyers agent that I will not be able to leverage my full borrowing capacity if bought through the trust. Further, my bank has said i will likely not be offered the same discounts I am getting. Has anyone else come across this? Did anyone decide not to use a trust as a result?

Participant
    @terryw
    Zabeel01 wrote:
    Thankyou so much for answering!  

Can I ask you, as you seem to know your stuff, if the assetts are in the trust and the company is the separate trading business trading as trustee for the trust, does this still make the assetts available to anyone sueing??  And can we still offset our depreciation against our business income even though the assetts depreciating are in the trust?

I was told if the company was the trading business and trustee for the trust that the assetts were in, then the assetts were safe as we would be sole directors of a company that owns nothing & they can’t sue the Trust because we would be beneficiaries only, and beneficiaries cant be sued.  Is this true?

Also, would you suggest just making one of us a director?  Would this leave the other person more vulnerable? What would their role be??  Please excuse my ignorance!!

Thankyou so much for your time

Hi

Best not to have a trading company act as trustee for a variety of reasons such as:

1. Same legal owner of all assets. So if one is sued there will be a burden of providing the assets are held on trust for the other. eg. If the company is sued then the company may need to prove that assets it holds in trust are that. If the company as trustee is sued then the company will have a right to be indemnified out of hte trust assets. If these are not enough to satisfy the debt then the company is personally liable for the short fall – so your business will be at risk.

2. Trading companys will often need to give charges over their assets. Eg. a lender lending to the company in its own right or as trustee will require a mortgage over property as well as a charge over all assets of the company – used to be called a fixed and floating charge. This will complicate things if the company has 2 roles.

Trusts are treaded as separate entities for tax purposes. So if the trust owns an asset it can claim depreciation. If the company owns it then it will claim the depreciation.

Email Me

Participant
    @terryw
    Zabeel01 wrote:

This is a bit confusing.

If the company is a trading company then it owns a business. There would be value there such as goodwill and maybe some assets. If this company was sued, by a customer for example, then the business would be at risk. The customer could wind up the company if a debt was unpaid and the business would cease to operate.

If the trust was sued, such as a tenant suing the landlord, then it would be the company that is sued. A trust is not a legal entity so cannot be directly sued. The trustee is sued and then the trustee is reimbursed by the trust for any loss they suffer. So if a landlord sued the trust and won the person could get their hands on the assets of the trustee including the business and business assets.

There may also be a risk that the directors of the company can be sued. e.g OHS issues, unpaid tax etc. Maybe a tenant is killed by illegal electrical works authorised by the director. In this case the trust assets, the company's assets and the director's assets could be at risk – and the director could face criminal charges.

This is one reason to have only 1 director. Another reason is to get one spouse out of having to give personal guarantees to a bank – so if the property flops then only one of you goes down with the ship.

There is a risk that one director could act without the permission of the other spouse. Directors control the company and other spouse shouldn't be involved in the running of the company or they could be deemed a shadow director which would be the same as being a legal director.

If a director is sued personally, perhaps for something totally unrelated, then they could go bankrupt. Their assets would be gone, but the assets of the trust would generally be safe and protected (depending on a lot of ifs). But their shares in the company could fall into the hands of creditors and then the creditors could get hold of the trustee company and the business. The control of the trust could be rescued by the appointor sacking the trustee and appointing a new one. But a bankrupt cannot be director so another would have to take control. The role of appointor is not considered property and cannot fall into the hands of creditors (case of Burton from memory).

If a benenficiary were to go bankrupt then the creditors could stand in their shoes – but their only right over the assets of a discretionary trust will be to be considered for a distribution. The trustee would consider them, but not give them any money if it is going to fall into the hands of the trustee in bankrutpcy.

Email Me

Participant
    @terryw

No.

This is because the partners of a partnership are jointly and severally liable for debts. Could be very dangerous.

Also if you have a charge over personal property then this itself is property. So if you were to get sued the creditor would stand in your shoes and have the benefit of the charge or mortgage over the asset.

There is also provision in the bankruptcy act to make any transaction designed to defeat creditors void. Also provisions regarding the transfer of assets to avoid creditors and/or undervalue. You would have CGT and stamp duty issues on the transfer and possibly more land tax if that person owns other assets. If that person is acting as trustee for you then you still own the assets and they would be available to creditors too.

Also consider what happens if that person:

divorces

dies

goes bankrupt

does a runner

or

misappropriates your funds.

Email Me

Participant
    @terryw
    stu_macca wrote:
    Hi,

I'm also looking at setting up a trust. Primary reasons are allow us to divert income to the lower income earner in the future (perhaps when we have more passive income and one can invest full time), asset protection and to be able to pass money in to the kids efficiently.

I have recently been advised by my buyers agent that I will not be able to leverage my full borrowing capacity if bought through the trust. Further, my bank has said i will likely not be offered the same discounts I am getting. Has anyone else come across this? Did anyone decide not to use a trust as a result?

Best to take your finance advice from a finance broker and the legal advice from a lawyer.

There is no reason why using a trust would mean you cannot leverage your borrowing capacity. Trusts can still get high lvr loans and equity accessed.

Discounts may be affected as the borrower will be different to your personally.

Email Me

@zabeel01

Great advice, thankyou very much for your help.  So…from what I understand…there would be no way to set up something that could offset taxable income with the depreciating assets while at the same time protect all the assets from anyone who decides to sue / seize assets.

Or if there is a way I would sure like to hear about it!!!!!!!! :)

Also in regards to transferring assets into a company  or trust from a partnership, which are already depreciating, would I still have to pay stamp duty for these?  Plus I have recently taken over a new property with assets which I will declare this tax year as depreciating for the first time so if I were to add these for the first time to a trust or company I am assuming there would be no transfer / stamp duty??? Is this correct, plus the assets we lost in the flood, and no longer have, is there a way of still claiming what was owed even though we have closed the partnership and no longer have these assets to transfer to the new company / trust?

In regards to the company as trustee thing, I understand from what you have said that it would not effectively protect my assets held in the trust, and also that the trust will benefit only from the depreciation not the trading company as trustee, or is this only if the company is not a trustee that the trust is taxed independently? 

Sorry for all the questions but your help is great!!!

Participant
    @terryw
    mu5hu wrote:
    Terryw wrote:
    Jacki wrote:

I can't help with any of the preceeding questions as am new to the game myself. However I have a question regarding unit trusts and potential dangers when splitting units.

I have just a read a book that recommends (when negative gearing) issuing income units to the main income earner to gain maximum tax benefits from the loss and the capital units to the non (or low)-income earner so if you sell, minimum CGT applies. If this is a husband and wife, in the event of divorce (hopefully never happens), would setting up a trust this way leave the person with the capital units with the ownership of the property – or would the property still get split equally?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jacki

Hi Jacki

That book must be out of date now. It would not be possible for a set up like this to pass muster with the ATO as there would be no commercial reason for the unit hold to buy the units if they would not be entitled to the capital gain.

see http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.ht…/NAT/ATO/00001

If it was set up like this, then the family law court could still look at the set up and divide the asset in a manner they think fair. They have the power to look behind companys and trusts.

I too read a book that was published in 2005 that said you can issue the income units to the higher income earner while the lower income earner with the capital units using the UT.

Terryw, the address you attached to that post isnt complete and includes the … in the address so could you please copy the full link because i am interested in that link. Thanks!

That post was 4 years ago, so I cannot remember what I was referring to.

If you want to read about hybrid trusts then try:

TD 2009/17

http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?docid=%22TXD%2FTD200917%2FNAT%2FATO%2F00001%22

Forrest v Commissioner of Taxation [2010] FCAFC 6

PBR 1011723097188

http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/content.aspx?doc=/rba/content/1011723097188.htm

PBR 28993

Email Me

@zabeel01

Can anyone give me any advice…from what I understand…there would be no way to set up something that could offset taxable income with the depreciating assets while at the same time protect all the assets from anyone who decides to sue / seize assets.

Or if there is a way I would sure like to hear about it!!!!!!!! :)

Also in regards to transferring assets into a company  or trust from a partnership, which are already depreciating, would I still have to pay stamp duty for these?  Plus I have recently taken over a new property with assets which I will declare this tax year as depreciating for the first time so if I were to add these for the first time to a trust or company I am assuming there would be no transfer / stamp duty??? Is this correct, plus the assets we lost in the flood, and no longer have, is there a way of still claiming what was owed even though we will have closed the partnership and no longer have these assets to transfer to the new company / trust?

In regards to having a company trading and as trustee for the trust which just holds the assets , is it true that this would not effectively protect my assets held in the trust, and also that the trust will benefit only from the depreciation not the trading company as trustee?

Any advice would be great as I need to do our tax return and would like to know before I add all our new assets from depreciation into the current partnership or quickly open a company and trust instead.

The position I would ultimately like to be in one where we can continue to offset our business income with our depreciating assets and also have the assets protected from being sued, we have not been sued or anything but the way some people have dealt with us we feel we need to protect ourselves.

Re: the current claw back laws, would this be a vulnerability only if we were sued before we changed from Partnership to Company or Trust??

Participant
    @terryw
    Zabeel01 wrote:
    Can anyone give me any advice…from what I understand…there would be no way to set up something that could offset taxable income with the depreciating assets while at the same time protect all the assets from anyone who decides to sue / seize assets.

Not sure what you mean here.

Any entity to claim depreciation and this will be used to reduce the taxable income of that entity. This in turn will reduce the taxable income of the person behind the entity as they will get less money. (but if there is negative income this cannot be used to offset another entity – usually).

Email Me

Participant
    @terryw
    Zabeel01 wrote:
    Also in regards to transferring assets into a company  or trust from a partnership, which are already depreciating, would I still have to pay stamp duty for these?

This wold depend on which state the assets are in and what assets they are.

Email Me

Participant
    @terryw
    Zabeel01 wrote:
    Plus I have recently taken over a new property with assets which I will declare this tax year as depreciating for the first time so if I were to add these for the first time to a trust or company I am assuming there would be no transfer / stamp duty??? Is this correct, 

Incorrect

You seem to be focused on depreciation. Depreciation has nothing directly to do with stamp duty it is merely writing down the value of an asset and getting a deduction for this loss.

If you transfer land from yourself to a trust then this will be subject to stamp duty. Stamp duty is calculated for land on the value of the land and the house on it.

Zabeel01 wrote:
    plus the assets we lost in the flood, and no longer have, is there a way of still claiming what was owed even though we will have closed the partnership and no longer have these assets to transfer to the new company / trust?

If you have lost assets that are claimable then I think you can write these off immediately by claiming hte remaining decpreciation – check with your accountant

Email Me

Participant
    @terryw
    Zabeel01 wrote:
    The position I would ultimately like to be in one where we can continue to offset our business income with our depreciating assets and also have the assets protected from being sued, we have not been sued or anything but the way some people have dealt with us we feel we need to protect ourselves.

Re: the current claw back laws, would this be a vulnerability only if we were sued before we changed from Partnership to Company or Trust??

Still not sure what you mean about offsetting business income. But a trust earning $100,000 in income with a $20,000 deduction for depreciation will result in an income of $80,000. So instead of getting $100,000 income to distribute you have $80,000 hence you have still reduced your income of the business.

Zabeel01 wrote:

This would depend how you do it.

If you transfer for under market value or reduced consideration then the claimback period is 4.5 years from memory. But if you do it with the intention to put the assets out of the reach of creditors – such as for asset protection reasons – then there is no limit on the clawback period.

You also have to consider the practical side of things. Is a trustee in bankruptcy going to come after you for this at all in say 6 years for a transaction that was valued at say $50k?

Email Me

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.