All Topics / Help Needed! / useless bodycorporate what do i do??

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of vyaw2003vyaw2003
    Participant
    @vyaw2003

Hello,
    I have a situation where one unit has leaked water and caused damage to my unit. this was meant to be covered under insurance but my body corporate lady is too useless to do anything about it (6 months) What is the best way to threaten that the body corporate business will be moved if she doesnt do her job and get the issue fixed? Can i easily sue her or the owners of the other unit to get the issue fixed.
    Thanks

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Maybe you need to sue the body corporate. Probably best to talk to the department of Fair Trading. I think they handle these sorts of problems.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of vyaw2003vyaw2003
    Participant
    @vyaw2003
    Tara30
    Participant
    @tara30

Hi All,

We recently sat our yearly Body Corporate Meeting and afterward talked about Sacking our Current Body Corporate Manager and Employing a new one. There has been general chit chat between the owners that they have been dissatisfied with the service for over a year.

What is the correct way to appoint a New Body Corporate Manager.

Anyone who has done this if you could let me know that would be great.

Thanks[smiling]

Profile photo of vyaw2003vyaw2003
    Participant
    @vyaw2003

For your info Tara, this is the tone of the letter i sent (QLD Phone number, QLD legislation):

I was speaking to the commissioners office regarding my issue in XXXX St XXXX. I have supplied numerous times all the correct quotes as requested, up to 6 months ago. I was speaking with one of staff members yesterday who said you have not even lodged the insurance claim. The jurisdiction states that I cannot request that you lodge an insurance claim, rather I can only request you to organise to fix my issue. Being that you will loose money it is up to the body corporate (you) to lodge an insurance claim, to regain these funds. If I don’t get a satisfactory response in 7-14 days, I will be forced to lodge an application of dispute.

I am also requesting that you supply me with all the contact names and numbers of all the other units. I would like as much information as you have on the other owners. I will be calling an Extraordinary General Meeting in March if this issue is not resolved. “The Privacy Act does not apply in this instance so you will have to supply me with this information”. From Body Corporate and Office of Fair Trading.

If you need any further information regrading these matters and your responsibilities you can call the Body Corporate and Office of Fair Trading. 1800060119.

I hope you deal with this matter as your number one priority until completed.

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

Generally the BC admin just administers. There is usually a chairperson and board that consists of owners and they, along with all owners have the power to give any direction to the body corporate administration, including sacking them.

You just need to determine what rules apply. For example the BC I am involved with would require me to get 85% support of all owners if I want to do significant things.

This is my limited understanding, so I would have a good chat with the chairman. If there is none, vote yourself in!

Mathew
    http://www.arrttt.com
    Custom Oil Portraits

Tara30
    Participant
    @tara30

Thanks for the info guys. My situation is not as bad as yours Vyaw. Well not as yet anyway. It’s just a heap of small stuff that doesn’t involve any legal action or $$$. As most of the owners agree on looking for a new BC Management I was thinking maybe all we needed to do was send a Termination letter (stating we no longer require their services) signed by all parties and that would be it.

Is this the right way to go about it?

T.[hmmm]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.