All Topics / Help Needed! / Solicitor v’s Conveyancer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of jambvjambv
    Participant
    @jambv

Hi,
    What is the difference between these 2 professions? When is it appropriate to use one over the other? I am in Sydney & am about to buy 2 props in QLD, do I need to use a NSW or QLD legal team? Any recommendations for specific businesses?

Thanks

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Use a Qld based legal team.

Conveyancers are cheaper and perfectly fine for 80% of deals.

But if you fall into the remaining 20% then a good solicitor is well worth the extra cost.

Unfortunately you don’t know if you are in the 80% or the 20% until the dust settles!

Whatever you decide – shop around and negotiate a discount. Some solicitors charge a lot more than others for a service mostly performed by the front office girl [blush2]

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You need to use a legal team from the state your property is located in as laws differ from state to state.

Sometimes a conveyancer is all your may need, but their job is just the conveyance – changing the titles into your name. But sometimes you may need someone broader, with more legal skills, eg contract problems. Some legal problem may pop up for example. This is why i generally favour a solicitor.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of kpikpi
    @kpi

TerryW hit the nail on the head. A solicitor comes in handy when a property transaction become messy. Ie. Problems with title transfer and settlement disputes etc.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Originally posted by kpi:

TerryW hit the nail on the head. A solicitor comes in handy when a property transaction become messy. Ie. Problems with title transfer and settlement disputes etc.

Yes Terry knows a lot about this stuff … [blush2]

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Be happy to recommend you to a good Convenyancer / Solicitor in Brissie if you are after someone.

Have used them for 12 years and have done many a transaction through them. If you deal with right person you can get a premier service without having to pay a fortune.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner. Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    Looking for life cover – We Guarantee to beat any quote you have in writing.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

I usta have a totally uninterested solicitor. Often we had to arrange an extention because he wasn’t ready to settle on the due day. Lets face it, solicitors just sign the dotted line, the office plebs do the work. I ended up doing the conveyancing on one house myself to find out just what was involved. I ran around for a day hand delivering the searches to the required departments.

Now I simply use conveyancing works and had no trouble and constant feedback. Possibly if there were odd encumbrances or something I’d consider a solicitor, but for a standard house and land you’re throwing money away.

just my 2cents.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.