Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of nzfitnessnzfitness
    @nzfitness

My name is bob.I have equity of approximatetly$120k.I am looking at using the equity in my home to purchase my first investment property.
    I have talked to my bank and they are able to offer me finance for up to $260,000 at 7.10% over 30 years,with the offset account etc.

I have also spoke to a mortgage broker, and with HSBC,I am able to access up to $460,000 @ 7.10% over 30 yrs.Other knowlage about the bank(HSBC) are unknown.

Would appreciate some help!

Thanks Bob

My questions are:

1. Because I am considering buying an appartment(one bedroom) value $200,000 and living in it,and renting out our home($270,000)What are the consiquences?

2.Do I need more information and what?about HSBC.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Bob

Tax Consequences are mainly CGT related. You can only have one main residence per time. You can only claim a property as your main residence once you have lived in it. So in this situation you could claim either as your main residence. You will have up to 6 years in which you can continue to claim the first one as your main residence and not pay CGT if you sell. I guess what all this boils down to is, after up to 6 years you can decide to sell one and not pay CGT.

Better change this loan to interest only though to maximise deductions.

2. If you are only going to be borrowing $200,000, then the fact that HSBC will lend you more is irrelevant. Chose the lender that suits your situation best. 7.10% is a good rate though.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of JohnSmithJohnSmith
    @johnsmith

Just add – In todays market where deals come and go very quickly, having access to readily available cash can help.

HSBC in the worlds largest bank. Any better or any worse than any other bank? all different and all the same in their own ways

Regards
    John

Inspired Finance
    (02) 9944 7776

[email protected]
    http://www.inspiredfinance.com.au

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    Originally posted by Terryw:

You will have up to 6 years in which you can continue to claim the first one as your main residence and not pay CGT if you sell. I guess what all this boils down to is, after up to 6 years you can decide to sell one and not pay CGT.

If you are considering this, remember to get a couple of ‘proper’ valuations done on your house (not REA appraisals). This is sufficient (according to the ATO current rules) to prove the capital gains occurred BEFORE it was rented out (assuming we’ve seen the worst of the boom already). That way, if you do get stuck with a CGT liability, it will be minimised.

F.[cowboy2]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.