All Topics / General Property / Guess what I have done..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of celesteceleste
    Participant
    @celeste

Hi all

I have just enrolled in TAFE.

Sitting here bored so I ran throught my working budgets, you know buying costs / reno costs / selling costs etc seeing where I can make a saving. Highlighting areas to work on.

I was looking at settlement agents fees, why are they based on a % of the property price? The same work is preformed which ever price.

So I rang TAFE, they have a course[evo], I can do 5 of the modules at home[grad] and they are the main ones re all the paper work. first 2 modules $ 325.00 hmm (do not really need the others, they are more for obtaining a licence – do not need a licence to do your own, but I can go to TAFE further down the line and do the other modules and get a licence)

That means if I study hard over the next few months I could do my own settlements, a saving of around 2k per project.[biggrin]

So I enrolled over the phone paper work being sent monday.

That will solve my between project blues, until I get to the stage of bigger more involved projects.

Celeste

Profile photo of Jenny1Jenny1
    @jenny1

Good on you Celeste you will prob do well at the course as you have already an interest in the subject already [biggrin]

Let us know your progress along the way[thumbsupanim].

Good luck

Jenny1

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Seems like a smart idea celeste! Your giving me ideas.

I could study that at home and I’m also looking at Drafting.

The Drafting is 12 months then you can work in an office prepare working drawings for builders etc. But I’m going to look into how it can be done part time study at home as I found you can do these quiet quick lot quicker then the Tafe pas.

Surveying does not interest me for a living but to do a coarse where you can do your own surveying for your own investments.

Where did you find out about the course and do they have a correspondance Residential Drafting Coarse there as well?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Celest

What is the specific course you are doing? Sounds interesting.

I was bored as well, so enroled in a Law degree, am a 1/3 of the way to being a lawyer now. Have you considered law?

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of celesteceleste
    Participant
    @celeste

Hi Jaffasoft & Terryw

To Jaffasoft

I am not doing the whole course, just the modules I can do from home. I am pretty sure I can do settlements without the course, just wanted to check if there is anything they do that I am unaware of. I can go back and finish the course to get my licence, down side you need 2 years experience in a settlement agents office to qualify – yuk full time work.

The course is “financial services (conveyenacy)

TAFE has a web site with all their courses ” off campus” means you can do some or all of the course at home.

To Terryw

Law ! not that bored.

I have tossed around the idea of becoming a registered builder though. I will check it out further after the conveyance course.

I do not want to work normal full time hours. At school I always had arguements with the career officers, as I wanted to be either a stock broker or a commercial artist, apparently 1 is left side of brain and the other is right ( the majority of people use one or the other) I upset them by have straight A’s in accounting and Art . I have sat a test for this and I am the minority who use both sides and I use it equally.

So satisfying boths sides is difficult – property and reno’s together satisfies both – sorting finances and doing the reno’s – it offers mega retail therapy as well.

Boredom – I did not realise I would have so much time in between projects. Next year will be worse as my daughter starts full time school.

So my budgets are so fine tuned they squeak and now I am sourcing ways to lower costs that will keep me occupied. Also, I am still trying to stop my self from feeling guilty (I feel I should be doing something work / cleaning) when I am sitting around have lovely long coffees at the cafe – for which this change of job was all about – more quality time.

Oh no just had a phone call from the realestate agent – the tenant in my next project has been given the wrong date to vacate by, settlement going thru on time, vacant possession delayed. AH!

Oh well, thinl I go have a nice long hot bath (with some choccy) and feel guilty.

Celeste

Profile photo of ownahomeownahome
    @ownahome

Hi
    In WA at least the fee is a % as the settlement agent takes out insurance for the completion of the settlement. Now as an owner you can self insure this risk but you have no recourse is somehting goes wrong. In WA approx 50% of the fee charged is the insurance premium alone.

I would suggest you speak to a settlement agent in your city to ask a fe more details to give you peace of mind.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.