All Topics / General Property / BLOOD ON THE STREETS

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don
    It’s mid 2004 and forums are awash with negative sentiment, foreboding and nostradamus style predictions of impending doom. Not many commentators or layman are willing to voice an alternative opinion.

Investors envisage utopia where distressed vendors hand over property to anyone at any price. Our own members vividly describe a future property buyers paradise.

Hopefully it will end with Lucifer and myself walking through the blood laden streets in waders with pool skimmers in hand, picking up the leftovers.(Pi.com, May, 2004)

Present day. Late August 2006 some two and a bit years later. What has the outcome been? Certainly markets all around the world have changed. There is no denying that.

But how have forum members taken advantage? Has anyone purchased a property from a distressed vendor and profited. What lessons have we learnt about commentators, predictions and ourselves?

http://www.cashflowproperties.co.nz
    positive cashflow property

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

Great post DLPP,

If you read through the threads, there are always people asking where the positive cash flow properties are or whether it’s the right time to buy or trying to predict whether we are heading for a boom or bust. While all these people are speculating and waiting for the right time, others are taking action NOW and profiting. [biggrin]

Market conditons, age, kids and money are all excuses not reasons!

The other day, I was speaking to a friend who said that it’s too difficult to get into the property market because properties are over priced and he can’t afford to. On the same day, I asked my mother in law why she didn’t buy more properties when she bought her home, her response was that she couldn’t afford to. The purchase price for her home was $12,000 in the 1950s.

The take home message here, is there will NEVER be a good time to buy. Property investors have a huge enemy that is bigger than rising interest rates or property booms or busts, that enemy is PROCRASTINATION!!! [biggrin]

Investment Property Management
    http://www.adprop.com.au

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

The take home message here, is there will NEVER be a good time to buy.

Tsk Tsk Dr.X Umm…..I’ll be positive. I just could not resist the age old saying that we should probably all take a bit more notice of (IF we plan on an RE investment path as our future thing…)
    The BEST TWO times to buy property were 10 years ago and NOW !
    There. WIsh I could credit myself with that. .. Courtesy of John McGrath I believe, but simplisticly accurate eh?
    Good posts DLPP and DrX.[party]

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Does anyone have any specific examples of buying below market? (I know this term causes debabte but lets just take it for what it suggests for the sake of discussion).

Gross has given a few examples of developments where problems are being solved to make a gain.

Has anyone been able to get into that PPOR suburb that they thought was out of reach due to negotiating a better deal. Anyone been able to move closer to the beach or work. Is real estate being discussed at the family dinner table or bbq.

I Buy Property http://www.cashflowproperties.co.nz
    Cash Flow Property

Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by Dr.X:

Great post DLPP,

If you read through the threads, there are always people asking where the positive cash flow properties are or whether it’s the right time to buy or trying to predict whether we are heading for a boom or bust. While all these people are speculating and waiting for the right time, others are taking action NOW and profiting. [biggrin]

Market conditons, age, kids and money are all excuses not reasons!

The other day, I was speaking to a friend who said that it’s too difficult to get into the property market because properties are over priced and he can’t afford to. On the same day, I asked my mother in law why she didn’t buy more properties when she bought her home, her response was that she couldn’t afford to. The purchase price for her home was $12,000 in the 1950s.

The take home message here, is there will NEVER be a good time to buy. Property investors have a huge enemy that is bigger than rising interest rates or property booms or busts, that enemy is PROCRASTINATION!!! [biggrin]

Investment Property Management
    http://www.adprop.com.au

I’m with DrX here

Some of us break through those barriers (we all face them) others give up…nearly every IP I’ve purchased has been a struggle (albeit a worthwhile one).

One of the guys who I infrequently work with when questioned as to how he was going looking for a PPoR said he’d given up; they had saved $10k but decided it was to expensive to buy a property even as first home buyers (both work, no kids) so they used the $10k to buy furniture for thier rental property, this stunned me as i thought -how long and hard would they have worked for that deposit??

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Online Positive Cashflow and Renovating Calculators

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

I think you may be a little premature. We in Sydney are still slumping, and it looks like we have a little way to go. As Perth is still growing our Nat’l figures are skewed, and technically we are stagnant.

At the moment I will sit and wait, my next investment gets cheaper every day.

As Sydney lead on the way up, maybe it will lead on the way down.

Know many think Perth has two years to go and will hit 20-25% a year, so can anyone pick when a property in Perth 10 klms out of CBD centre will pass its Sydney counterpart. As we go down, and Perth goes up it must be getting close.

What will Perth do next.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

I’m with GMH however i believe the market is changing in Perth and with another two rate rises before the year is out more blood will be lost.

Residex stated the med prices across the country

520k syd
    Perth 420k
    Qld 350k

Now i don’t understand how a population of 1.9mil in Perth can have a higher med price than Qld who is at 350k = 70k less with twice the population and the fastest growing state in Australia – help me understand this.

My prediction is Perth will fall before the end of the year – wow thats going for it as a researcher, opps too late its in print.

My reasoning – with a smaller population than Syd and Qld the change will happen faster. Queensland investor market has halved and Sydney is still sliding, developers are scared to commit and the cost of construction with petrol prices and water conservation systems is adding to the pressure to increase prices – it doesn’t look good.

D

Profile photo of tony wpbtony wpb
    @tony-wpb

Amazing that investors are flying around the world to find those cash flow positive properties that will change their lives, when the properties are seeking are in their own backyards. Firstly , acheiving a positive cashflow property in Tassie that nets $50 per week will not change a life!!! How many do you need to retire ?I am not a negative attitude person , but i do find it a farce to consider creating a $60K + investment to make $50 per week. A few more car accidents in Tasmania will cause negative population growth, the only reason for capital appreciation is the disparity between the ‘mainland’ and Tasmania. Ever played musical chairs and they add chairs every time they stop the music ?

There are developers (in particular that are desperate for sales~literally). Properties in Melbourne and Sydney acheiving 7% + yields.

All of these ‘property guru’ investment tips on how to make millions from cashflow positive properties, is a simple ploy to encourage investors into an area , as they are selling the properties and cashing in on the capital growth. This is just an opinion , but what would I know , I am just a dumb electrician.

Consider the current situation of petrol prices and where most people work. Also consider what is the most expensive real estate in other major countries around the world. If you can answer this basic cryptic question , then you have the answer…

How is $179K in Collins St in Melbourne and $300 per week , not bad 4 a blue chip location (outgoings by tenant and residential property). I looked at properties in the Docklands in Melb on Monday , asking price is $340K and tenanted for 3 years at $500/wk , i am sure the savvy investor could pick this up for circa $300K.

I also purchased a 3 bed townhouse in Richmond for $550K , bank value for finance came in at $800K. I tenanted it in 1 week at $600/wk , not a huge yield but i am happy having blue chip investments…. and many more

Remember yields are reflective of the cost of money . One persons perspective is different to the next ! It is possible to get 1% off for the life of the loan, the banks are also negotiable !!!! I have recently secured a rate of 6.57% (1% off the standard variable). Its not what you know it is always who you know.

Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by tony wpb:

. Its not what you know it is always who you know.

I always thought it was “Its not what you know or who youknow..its what you know about who you know” [biggrin]

Great post Tony

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

@gmh454
    Originally posted by tony wpb:

All of these ‘property guru’ investment tips on how to make millions from cashflow positive properties, is a simple ploy to encourage investors into an area , as they are selling the properties and cashing in on the capital growth.

Cruel, brutually, cruel ……..but true.

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don
    How is $179K in Collins St in Melbourne and $300 per week , not bad 4 a blue chip location (outgoings by tenant and residential property). I looked at properties in the Docklands in Melb on Monday , asking price is $340K and tenanted for 3 years at $500/wk , i am sure the savvy investor could pick this up for circa $300K.

I also purchased a 3 bed townhouse in Richmond for $550K , bank value for finance came in at $800K. I tenanted it in 1 week at $600/wk , not a huge yield but i am happy having blue chip investments…. and many more

These are all good examples of the sort of activity in the current market. Anyone else? What were the docklands properties selling for off the plan. Is the current buy a discount to back then.

I Buy Property http://www.cashflowproperties.co.nz
    Cash Flow Property

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of kum yin laukum yin lau
    @kum-yin-lau

Hi, your posts are interesting. Last Christmas, my sister gave me dire warnings about my pending residential property redevelopment. She said all the experts predicted a huge crash.

I have since ‘gone slow’ but could not resist buying another property.

The purchase price is $223000. It is let at $220 a week. I have drawn up sub-division plans to build a house for a total cost not exceeding $160000. When the project is completed, the total cost should be $400000 with an estimated value of $500000. It should be completed in 2 years. The reason for the delay is that I’m held back by the other project. I’m OK to endure the -ve $3000 a year in holding costs.

This was on 1 May 2006.

Property prices can crash for sure. However, there is still a dire shortage of low priced houses. My take is if I can still find $200000 houses within 6km of a city of 1m in population, and the median metropolitan house price is $285000, I can still ride out a crash.

A cheek in tongue comment is I will believe property will crash when I see people no longer live in houses!

Kum Yin

@tony-wpb

Hi Redwing , thanks for the comment , i am know more confused than when i typed the response at midnight [biggrin]

The properties i noted in the Docklands is stock holdings in completed projects (not Mirvac).

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    I also purchased a 3 bed townhouse in Richmond for $550K , bank value for finance came in at $800K.

Am I alone in hearing a faint tinkling noise that sounds vaguely like warning bells being muffled by the industry VIs?
    Without meaning to hijack this thread, I’d be very interested to know the proportion of people here who think this townhouse is worth $550k, vs those who think it is worth $800k…

F.[cowboy2]

@gmh454

Foundation I keep listening to that tinkling, last time I heard it thought it was broken glass. Now I realise it is champange glasses tinkering from far off Perth.

As to the valuation on Richmond I am afraid I am with him buddy, any townhouse with a deep ocean mooring has got to be worth 800K.

It did have a deep ocean mooring didn’t it ?????

@tony-wpb

i sense sarcasm [ohno]

do you have any great deals you recently done?

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

If you think out side the square and don’t just look at houses as investment vechiles you may be surprised.

How about,

50 – 100m/2 furnished office suites

Land rezoning and flik on with DA

You get what you focus on – unit developments are a problem, construction cost up by 20% and not a sellers market for a few years yet.

If Perth is 400k now as medium price rises by 20% p/a for two years that means the new M.P will be 576k in two years – yeah sure, thats a crash waiting to happen.

IMHO Perth is over priced – but we will have to wait see.

Sydney houses in suburbia will fall further but waterfronts and prestigue properties in saught after locations will rise.

Commersial developments in QLD are booming along with child care developments.

Why not get a syndicate going with a group of friends and do a real development instead of worring about houses.

I would love to know just how many people on this site are investors or couch potatos – don’t worry one day you’ll be ready, remember there is more to property than houses.

D

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

Redbling,

I always thought it was more about what they think you know about what they did that they shouldn’t have done. Even if you don’t know if and what they really did.
    Or even if they didn’t really do anything but think that there may have been circumstances that may have been photographed that could have implied their involvement in things that they had nothing to do with.

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by lifeX:

Redbling,

I always thought it was more about what they think you know about what they did that they shouldn’t have done. Even if you don’t know if and what they really did.
    Or even if they didn’t really do anything but think that there may have been circumstances that may have been photographed that could have implied their involvement in things that they had nothing to do with.

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

[biggrin][biggrin][laughing][lmao]

Sounds good to me..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.