All Topics / Legal & Accounting / companies and unit trusts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of warrenwilliamwarrenwilliam
    @warrenwilliam

could someone please explain to me the advantages /disadvantages of buying real estate in a company name and using unit and family trusts.Especially in relation to land tax,CGT and liability if someone sues you.Can you negative gear and offset the loss against personal income? all advice most welcome. thankyou

Profile photo of gctaegergctaeger
    @gctaeger

I recommend you get Dale Gatherum-Goss’ book called Tax Magic – it’s about $99 but explains Trust in such a simple & easy way.

Hope this helps

Regards

Claude

Profile photo of mbutler2575mbutler2575
    Participant
    @mbutler2575

Hi Warrenwilliam

Another resourse is Steve’s Wealth Guardian it is agreat resourse and simplifies a very complex issue. Ultimately you will need to see a good accountant that has experiance in property.

It probably is too wide a question to cover in the forum but if you search the forums you should find some information.

Mark

Is this taking us CLOSER to our goal?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I don’t think there is any advantage of either with regards to Land Tax now.

Have a look at http://www.lawcentral.com.au, they have a good newsletter which recently went thru the differences between the two.

There is not much difference, they are similar, but maybe limited liability is a factor. If sued, the shares/units may be up for grabs either way you go.

One difference is ASIC regulates companies, trusts aren’t regulated. SO running a company is governed by various rules. Another thing is privacy, with a company your address, date of birth, country of birth, percentage shareholding etc is public information. No one sees who owns the units in the trust or their details

If you cannot get a hold of that newsletter, I may still have a copy saved.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of warrenwilliamwarrenwilliam
    @warrenwilliam

thanks everyone you have given me a number of avenues to research. take care[cowboy2]

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by gctaeger:

I recommend you get Dale Gatherum-Goss’ book called Tax Magic – it’s about $99 but explains Trust in such a simple & easy way.

Hope this helps

Regards

Claude

Trust Magic is the book from Dale Gatherumgoss, Tax Battles is the other publication.

you can get it direct from Dale or take a look at the back of API.

Dales Wealth Sabotage is also worth a peek

Ed Burtons book “Bulletproof asset protection ” is also a great read (speak to Cata)

“How to legally reduce your tax” is also worth the read IMHO

Rentons book on Trusts is worth looking at but very “dry”

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.