All Topics / Help Needed! / the market cycle

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Profile photo of kdhnkdhn
    @kdhn
    Originally posted by k3ymaker:

I am living in Perth using the FHOG and I am finding it very difficult to compete. I have been looking for about 6 months now and we just have too much buyers with not enough homes to buy.

Some homes are just too over valued with the sellers taking advantage.

I have look at homes that no one wants and try to get a bargin there.

Hong Tran

Hong , try turning it into a positive . Keep looking at homes no one wants and to pick one that is basically ok but maybe just abit ugly or something light . Their around , we’ve bought three of them so far and they’ve never let us down. Abit of imagination and your off . Then everyones wishing they bought it .
    You get real bargaining power with them , a lower mortgage and usually instant equity when you jazz it up plus increases when the suburb catches on . People paying top buck right now might have to wait yrs to get any equity.
    Best of luck.
    Mkc

Profile photo of kdhnkdhn
    @kdhn
    Originally posted by Nigel Kibel:

I
    could not agree with Michael more. It amazes me that people buy when the market is booming and yet when the market levels or drops every one stops buying. If there is another boom by the end of the decade even if it is not as big as the one we have just had, it makes since to buy now and you will reap the benefits when the next boom happens. The great American industrist John Getty once said that he buys when everyone else is selling.

Nigel Kibel

Couldn’t agree more . Allot of people follow the crowds getting frantic when it’s going off [ edited ] .
    Personally l reckon forget the sheep the real buys are around when they’ve all gone home .
    Cheers
    Mkc
    http://www.propertyknowhow.com.au

Australian and New Zealand The United States Property Researcher and education
    One Day property investment research workshop The United States. Please register your interest

Profile photo of suzieqsuzieq
    @suzieq

Hi guys, another Perthite hoping to cash in on our current cycle – I’ll be selling at least one this year and will be travelling along the same road as you Redwing! Top up some loans and access the equity for a couple of other projects that I have on the go. I think Perth has still got some legs with the way our economy is going and there is plenty of cashed up buyers out there, so if the opportunity arose to purchase an undervalued property in WA ‘d be in like flyn!!!

sq[biggrin]

Profile photo of amichelonamichelon
    Participant
    @amichelon

Hello Interceptor,

I am with you. Watch the US Economy very closely. I trade the futures market and the exapnation the the last 2 years has been huge. China and India are on the move. The CRB (commodity)Index is at nominal all time high, passing the 1981 high. As everybody may have heard on the news gold is testing new highs. The nominal high in 1981 was about US$612 per ounce. In real terms the CRB Index and gold could break into a new secular bull maarket once you adjust for inflation. The same is with oil. It is testing new high’s in real terms, if it breaks above US$75-US$76 it could really take off. Demand is very tight and stories like Iran make the market nervous. Oil is normally correlated to inflation, but because of our technological advancements since the last oil crisis in 1979 and outsourcing blue collar labour to China and India for 8-10% of the cost here and in the US (yes that is a 90% discount on labour to big business) there maybe more delay and a faster reaction to inflation or it may simply mean that we could have incredable growth and low inflation. Be warned the bond market has a inverted yield curve since the start of the year. This would normally indicate a the US is heading for a recession in the coming year. However, with the baby boomers placing money into super accounts there is more money floating around looking for a home and prepared to take less yield.

The US is on a knife edge and Iran could be the hair that breaks the camels back. The higher the market, the greater the risk, the less it takes to revert.

So bascially the market will be choppy as we find ourselves moving from the 500 year trend of the Industrial Age and start the the Information Age.

Having said that the property market to me seems balanced. I am starting to hear horror stories as well as continued growth. This is usually the sign of consolidation or a sideways movement. If the market corrects you will hear them all screaming. Please note that real estate is not considered a liquid market so plan for the next 10 to 20 years considering the market. If the market turns and breaks to the down side it could go stone cold fore a short period.

For me I am only looking for +CF properties and they are few and far between. The medium term I think the upside in CG is overvalued at the moment and I have sold everything that is -CF, including my own house, it is cheaper to rent. I compare my returns to a Cash Managed Fund were I can get 5.3% for doing nothing. So why would I borrow for more to return less when CG has peaked?

Buy on value and let the market pay you the price. The recent property boom is very focused on price and CG and keeps paying more for less return. Sell overvalue and buy undervalue. Steve McKinght’s quick calc on +CF is great, if you can’t get +CF NEXT!!!

Keep smiling, it’s only a game[confused2]

Aaron

Profile photo of MooreyMoorey
    @moorey

Wat the ? Anyone ever heard the expression KISS

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb

the 64million dollar question???????

ask any guru and you get completely different answers….

MichaelYardney says….
    Our research shows that markets have bottomed in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane (this doesn’t mean we in the next boom yet!)

I am actively buying for myself – have for 6 months- and very strongly for clients.

and according to Bernard Salt , trendspotter for KPMG
    “a modest upturn will kick off in late 2007,or perhaps 2008”
    and “There’ll be another weak boom in 2018-2020”
    and after that “all the baby boomers will be dead and then the property market will hit the wall”

weak boom 2018-2020……what???????
    i’ll be dead by then

i’m sticking with micheal…….
    hope your right?????

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

cautious consolidation from Redwing and a few others[biggrin].
    Well my wife and I have had 2 days of what if’s??, calculator out and CG tax and offsetting income being high on our lists of options to chase.

Our end result was to sit and wait on the portfolio we already have and me off to do a reno every few months on what we have to increase rental yield.

I have one townhouse in Kingston left to paint and do new curtains for, one bathroom in Redbank Plains to paint and tile a base strip in a house and a stray wall after a leaking shower was repaired.

I have just added $30k to a house in Rosewood by redoing the bathroom, floor tiles, tile paint splashback and shower over bath recess, paint all cupboards, new shower head, new taps and vanity, had to trim base of doors to fit new italian tiles(bloody thick), then ceiling exhaust fan, fully insulated the roof myself, that took 2 days, ceiling fans to all 3 bedrooms, kitchen and living room, grouted splashback in kitchen which had never been done, exhaust in ceiling of separate toilet, and an exhaust fan above stove in kitchen.

Curtain quote on way, carpets ordinary but ok for now.

So my thoughts, tweak loans, tweak existing properties for best rent or resale, always keep your eyes open for bargains and always go against the flow!!!!!!

PS Lebanon beat Fiji Bati in the final of the 7’s this weekend in Coffs(as sponsored by our local boy Russell)[cowboy2]

DD

Buyers Agent (Dip Financial Services(FP)
    Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb

well the markets definitely heading south in melbourne, according to the numbers in sunday paper

melb metro Median 2004 /370k..2005 /360k
    if you bought a year ago and sold told you would have lost 26k

had you bought BHP shares for same period you would have made $185k……

If you bought 5 years ago Median 251k
    sold today, (no maintance costs) profit 84k…BHP profit 441K

looks like the cycles working well for shares at the moment….
    and looks like minings got anought good year ahead, aws long as china keeps buying

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

BHP has just caught up to its prices of 2001 HB?

Have a look at the long term charts of the company..I would hated to have been holding BHP in mid 2001 when it *plunged* from just under $25 to about $8 in a ‘very’ short time frame (good luck trying to sell then as panic set in)

Its only been trending up from mid 2003 onwards and anyone who got on board and held would now be laughing as its still trending upwards..

Its all relative I suppose and thats why you need the diversification..I prefer property mainly because of the leverage

Wish I had some :o)
    *note- I actually like BHP

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb

there you go rewing

all to do with timing

why buy when its negative?

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb
    Profile photo of asdfasdf
    Participant
    @asdf
    Originally posted by hb:

you must be looking at the wrong chart

http://asx.com.au/asx/research/ChartsSearchAndResults.jsp?postback=true&asxCode=bhp&compare=index&indices=XJO&compareCode=&TimeFrame=M10&chart.x=48&chart.y=18

whats it general trend over 10 years????

I believe BHP had a corp adjustment when it merged the old BHP and Billiton businesses together and its share price essentially halved but you got double the shares. Either way, price has more than doubled since then. Well done you lucky devils!

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by hb:

MichaelYardney says….
    Our research shows that markets have bottomed in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane (this doesn’t mean we in the next boom yet!)

I am actively buying for myself – have for 6 months- and very strongly for clients.

and after that “all the baby boomers will be dead and then the property market will hit the wall”

i’ll be dead by then

hope your right?????

I have a lot of respect for Bernard Salt as an economist. You probably now, but he is the one who came up with the term “sea change and told everyone to buy coastal properties.

He is the one who said buy in Manura and prices skyrocketed.

He was interviewed in the pares last week….

Guess how many proeprties he owns???

NONE!!!!

Interesting isn’t it – he’s an economist and says he will buy one property in the next 3 years and in interestingly it will be in Melbourne.

By the time he buys his one property, the 4 I bought i the last 6 months will have gone up in value?

How much? I’ll tell you in 3 years time.[biggrin]

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.PropertyUpdate.com.au

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb

good call michael

stick with property…….
    just reading the latest “hottest suburbs for 2006” in the sun over the weekend, there’s been some amazing growths….just in the last 12 months….
    for example Glen Iris up 9.1%…in 12 months….72.9% in 5 years…wow

so what does that equate to in money terms.
    Median house in Glen Iris 2000 410K…today 709k
    lets put 10% down….. rent out $600/wk…NOT 1 cent spent on maintenance…. lets sell 5 yrs later……bring up excel spreedsheet…clunk..clunk..clunk..
    profit $294K…..wow

but had the money been invested in BHP….Profit $745K….now thats a double wow wow

do you bernald might be a closet “share” trader??

Now thats a good suburb, but what if it was West Melb 5% growth in 5 years…381K to 400K..and rent of 300/wk
    total profit – MINUS 46K..thats right minus….ouch…..

boring old coles shares……… profit $80K

diverification……….cause there’s just to many experts with mixed ideas

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb

hi michael
    just reading your post again
    you’ve bought 4 properties in the last 6 months in melbourne
    gutsy stuff
    Did you do you figures?

where you expecting the market to pick up quickly?

i only ask because that probably wouldn’t have been my strategy…..

why?

well 4 properties at melb median price (360k) = 1.44m
    10% down..minus buying costs 107k, minus water and council rate 7k then add 62k rent, makes a 1st year loss of $152k…
    no equity gain as property has gone backwards 2.7%…but lets call it zero…
    no real gain here

do you know what you missed?
    remember the newspapers having been telling us for the last 12 months….”china thirstly for australian minerals”…and “property stagnant”
    now i’m no brain surgeon, but if you go with the flow…
    you could have made 2.17m on your 1.4m paid the bank back, and pocketed 763K…..all in 12 months…with BHP shares…

then you’d be ready when the property market starts that next boom

so instead of only 140k deposit, you’d have (763-CGT) 575K to invest in IPs
    Now we talking

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

BHP 5 yr ‘basic’ chart

I was looking at this, but if the stock split welllll…there ya go [biggrin]

Hb..my last two IP’s I bough with $3k for one (deposit only but over 100% finance) and $0 for the last one.

I firmly believe you need a mix of Investments and find it very hard to compare either (probably not smart enough)..my preference though is for property

Its not Shares Vs property..BUT Shares And Property that will assist you position over time; after all using your equity to leverage into shares is chepaer and safer than margin lending IMHO

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb

thank redwing
    90% of my investments are in property
    but am questioning my wisedom with some of them
    thats why the spreedsheets.
    doesn’t take long to see how other investments can be more profitable.

at the end of the day
    its how much money you have sitting there….not debt…..that provides a happy retirement

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

In the past I have been a currency dealer, stockbroker, dealt in the building industry and in IT. The last 5 years of my life I have spent 95% of my time on property. Now 5 years on I have a nice portfolio, live 250 mtrs from the beach and am learning to fly.

None of this possible without property!!!!!

Sure I have some small parcels of shares and will be adding more over time, but im a houses man first and last and feel there is enough diversity in residential, commercial, industrial, locally and interstate to absorb all of my efforts for some time to come.

My only great wealth has come from property. As I do most of my own reno work as well the savings and quality of work I can do gives me quite a lot of confidence that even in this lull in property in most sectors except WA, and SEQ units/townhouses, I can increase both equity and rental yields.

We intnd to hold our existing portfolio for quite some time and add to it as the opportunities present themselves.

Good luck all and dont forget, we are all different and thats what makes this all work so well.

Happy hunting

DD

Buyers Agent (Dip Financial Services(FP)
    Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

Profile photo of maximummaximum
    @maximum
    Originally posted by MichaelYardney:

Originally posted by hb:

MichaelYardney says….

i’ll be dead by then

hope your right?????

I have a lot of respect for Bernard Salt as an economist. You probably now, but he is the one who came up with the term “sea change and told everyone to buy coastal properties.

He is the one who said buy in Manura and prices skyrocketed.

He was interviewed in the pares last week….

Guess how many proeprties he owns???

NONE!!!!

Interesting isn’t it – he’s an economist and says he will buy one property in the next 3 years and in interestingly it will be in Melbourne.

By the time he buys his one property, the 4 I bought i the last 6 months will have gone up in value?

How much? I’ll tell you in 3 years time.[biggrin]

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.PropertyUpdate.com.au

How odd . l wonder why he didn’t own any property and does that mean he has never owned any or just didn’t at the time for some reason ?
    Someone here said they were selling up to rent instead , l never understand that idea either !
    All the best .
    Maximum

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb

Hi DD
    i totally agree with your analysis…property is a great investment tool.
    i know, i have used it very successfully.
    but in hindsight, i could have done a lot better.
    owning our own business and managing our own SMSF, we invested heavily into property post 92 (last recession).
    we have just sold 1 property in the portfilio of properties, a penthouse in noosa heads.
    even thou the CG was great, had we invested that money instead into Comm.Bank shares, today the return would be 1million ABOVE the return we got on the penthouse.
    remember we dealing with SMSF…no borrowings
    So the same problem arises today as 13 years later…
    where to invest Shares or property?
    except this time there’s in excess of 1 mil cash to play with….

So going back to the question….
    Where is the cycle going?

i take on board everyone’s opinions
    my gut feel is sideways……….for quite a while…..
    there’s nothing in the economics of the country to say we booming..(unless your in mining, thanks WA)…retail sales stagnant…debt excessive…new IR laws to restrain wages……

but hey what would i know…

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.