All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Would like an accountant’s oppinion

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of carl_viccarl_vic
    Participant
    @carl_vic

If I borrow money and in turn lend this money to someone else, for example a trust, and claim the interest I recieve from the trust as income in my tax return, am I entitled to claim the interest I pay on my loan as a tax deduction?

For arguments sake lets say the interest rates are the same, or even slightly profitable, so the tax office have no reason to look at the situation as an attempt at avoiding tax…

Profile photo of coastymikecoastymike
    Participant
    @coastymike

I would recommend you put a formal loan agreement in place to demonstrate commerciality. But essentially yes as long as you declare interest income in your return then the interest will be deductible against that income.

I have a number of clients, particularly high net worth clients, who lend money to various entities to undertake a range of activities and lend that money at a commercial interest rate to the entity.

The entity borrowing the money needs to look at the funds for which the borrowed funds were put to determine deductibility from their perspective but essentially not a problem.

Profile photo of carl_viccarl_vic
    Participant
    @carl_vic

Thanks costymike.

When writing a formal loan agreement between myself and my trust, I gather the agreement is between myself and the trustee of the trust. So if the trustee is a company where I am the sole director, the signatures on the bottom of the page would both me mine. Can you see any issues with that, or is that sort of thing commonplace?

Cheers,
    Carl

Profile photo of coastymikecoastymike
    Participant
    @coastymike

Yes where a company can execute a deed without using a common seal if where the company has a sole director who is also its sole company secretary, that person alone signs it. Refer to Corporations Act.

You will also be signing the loan agreement as lender as well in your individual capacity.

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

CM,
    Do you need to have a eners licens for this sort of thing?
    I seem to recall that you can not do ‘Vendors Finance unless you have a lenders license – one of the reasons I didn’t investiget this option more.

Can you clarify this point, please.

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Mike

Can I add a question?

Would it be necessary to get the loan agreement stamped by the office of state revenue? (And pay duty?).

Thanks

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.