All Topics / Help Needed! / Pool or no Pool

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

We are building a new PPOR and can’t make up our mind about putting a pool in or not, we have 2 kids 3 & 7. We live north coast NSW. Any one had a pool and think they are worth it or not. For me its not so much the 20k or so its the hassle and if you get the use out of one, plus the on going costs i suppose?
    Thanks
    Robo

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

My whole family wants one but I just know it wont add any value to the PPOR and we plan to upgrade in the next year or so….is on the list for the new place tho.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker

[email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of micahmicah
    @micah

Robo,

I was thinking the same and then I found out there are 3 pools withing 15min from where I live… No ongoing cost, no cleaning up, no restrictions as to when I can use it (2 are heated and indoors) so I decided not to get my own.

Erik Reurts
    Micah Finance Solutions
    http://www.micah.com.au

Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

Hi,
    This PPOR is long term , for what its costing we won’t be moving for a long time , the problem is because of access if we don’t put one in before the fences go up, it would be too costly later, and yes we are 5min from beach and 3min from local pool. My other concern is our 3yr old, i know they grow up but it has to be risky?
    Robo

Profile photo of Pro-ActivePro-Active
    @pro-active

We had a pool installed 5 yrs ago and have never regretted it.
    With three young chn and a summer full of activity, the pool has been terrific.
    Don’t view it as an investment in money, however, as it’s more of a lifestyle choice.
    Would also highly recommend solar heating to extend life of the swimming season as well. Even I swim now :)

Cheers,
    Pro-Active

http://www.invested.com.au Australia’s premier Investor Education site

@robo

Hi Pro Active,
    If i told you what was going into this house you would see we are not too worried about it being a good investment, its more so if the pool is worth the hassle or not.
    Did you put in a concrete or fibreglass.
    Robo

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

ho Robo, we just bought a place with a pool and it is wonderful to see your kids learning and developing skills in your own back yard. As they grow you can keep an eye on the friends as they enjoy your pool.

Chemicals yuk, filter yuk, pool top up yuk, but we are getting a water tank installed, and in the total picture it is well worth it.

Secondly Robo if you are north coast NSW how about the Coffs Investor Group meeting on the 13th at the Annuka Resort. Dinner afterwards upstairs too.

Just a thought.

DD

Buyers Agent (Dip Financial Services(FP)
    Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

@robo

Thanks for the info, yep we live in Coffs Hbr.
    Robo

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Hmmm, hard decision. I had a little cousin who drowned…so I am not so much in favour of backyard pools. Gates are not enough to protect little ones- you need to constantly supervise.

On the other hand, when the kids are old enough for swimming lessons, (I’d enrol them straight away! Perhaps the 7 year old can swim already?) like yours are, it can be a lot of fun and you don’t always have to go out when you are busy at home, and the kids will be entertained during hot summerholidays while you run around doing your chores. (Like cleaning the pool, hehe just joking).

Celivia

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

I have always been a believer in making the home kid friendly. This is especially important as they reach those teenage yrs. If teens have somewhere to hang out (with a pool of course) thats where they will be.

If the home is not kid friendly, that is, allowing them space and activities away from adults, then they will go to someone else’s place.

Now while you may well think this has certain advantages, I still think its better that the kids and their friends are at my home where i can see what they are doing and steal (I mean confiscate) their drugs.

milly

Profile photo of RhysQLDRhysQLD
    Participant
    @rhysqld

Go for the pool. If you are willing to pay a bit more, you can buy equipment that will come close to looking after itself.

Rhys

Profile photo of ShwingShwing
    Participant
    @shwing

If there is a time in your life to have a pool of your own, it’s probably now, when the kids are at the age when they will use it. It beat having kids sit in front of the TV.
    I had a pool pretty much all my childhood, and if I wasn’t down the bush, I was in the pool. It was my chore to clean the pool, no point giving pocket money for no reason at all.

My dads advice: later on, if you only have the pool for the grandkids to come and play in, make the adults bring their own beer. He says he spend more on beer than the pool, and it’s not because he drank it himself. His pool is now a nice BBQ area.

Mal

Getting out of your comfort zone, can help you become comfortable

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

I am with the “get the pool” camp. We put one in when our youngest was nearly three and I understand your nervousness regarding safety. They learn to swim very quickly in their own pool. My mother used to sell real estate and always told us to buy a house with a pool rather than install one ourselves. That way someone else has had the cost and problems. However, we picked our house and then put a pool in. We have never regretted it. Kids swim all summer. The upkeep is quick and simple. We don’t touch it through winter. It looks after itself. During summer I get the water tested for free at the local Swimart and add whatever I need to about once a week or so.

We realise that when we sell we will be restricting our market to those that want pools, but we can live with that. In Queensland, lots of buyers still want pools.

We did the solar thing and it does extend the swim season a lot longer than without. We also covered our pool with a sunshade/pergola so we really had to heat it or it would have been too cold for part of the season. I love the cover though because we don’t have to worry as much about sunscreen like we would normally. It also means on the hot days, the pool doesn’t become a warm bath. A big moveable umbrella would do a similar job.

Our pool is right at our back door, so I can supervise the kids from the kitchen. Even though they are all older now, I still stay within cooee because a bump on the head can happen to any age child.

Good luck with your decision.

Wylie.

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Hi Robo,
    friends of ours have a pool. Dad wants it out so he can put on a bigger shed.

pro:
    kids learn to swim ealry and so a re safer near water! His daughter can swim the lenght of the pool (partly underwater, but hey) while my son (same age) has a big win if he makes it accross the width of the pool. Also he needs much more supervision. Other pros are as above.

cons
    pool installation – if the sides aren’t filled properly, the sand will sag ever time (and water overflow) and that would ruin any paving or undermine the concrete. Long term issues.
    Another thing I have seen is that the pool might rise when the sand is backfilled against the walls (outside!). A case of the sand being compacted under the pool and pushing it up!
    Once the pool gets to a certain age (unsure when or how long – I just knew the one my parents bought was one) the walls need more attention (less sealed or smooth) as more algae attach and you can’t bomb everything with Chlorine and acid!
    If your pump and filter poopp themselves you are up for big $$.
    We went for a spa – small pool! Hehehe. I’d like a pool, though.

You have fun with the decision!

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

@robo

Now i am even more confused? You must be talking a fibreglass pool? Calvin did you put in one of those swim-spas?
    Robo

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Robo,
    no, the spa is on a metal frame (for cylone reason) But I intend on building a pergola around it (out of Duragal – again for cyclone reasons) and open it up to my lounge room (via French doors) – once the refinance is thru! It is a lovely 3 seat, 1 lounge spa. Needs a little TLC, but on the hole is good value (@$750)!

RE: the pool being pushed up – basically if they contractors push the sand down the side (to back fil around the pool as part of installation) it has happened that some of the sand was pushed too much under the pool thereby pushing it up out of the hole. Makes sens?

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

I’m wiht Rhys on this one, if you get the pool pay the extra for all the added equipment so that it virtually looks after itself! A friend has a pool setup with all the fruit and they actually enjoy the pool because it’s not hard work.

Have Fun
    PK

@robo

Maybe it will be the money? Just got 1 quote back, $36,000 for Fibreglass pool with water feature, solar, fence, paving and stamped concrete surround. Lot of money for a whole in the ground with water in it. Which over 20 years is $35 p/w plus say 15p/w for running costs, it will cost $50 p/w week for 20 years?
    Robo
    plus gardens

Profile photo of Oxygen FundingOxygen Funding
    @oxygen-funding

Hi Robo,
    We rented in Sydney and had a concrete pool with chlorine – only warm for a couple of months in summer, was underneath a gum tree and the bane of my husband’s existence! We just bought a house is Qld with a fibreglass pool, which being Qld should be warm, but salt water this time – heaps easier to maintain! Our kids started swimming lessons from 6 months so they can climb out and are constantly supervised outside regardless of the fence as we have a damb as well. We had a great time swimming in summer, and I guess once you get into a routine with the maintenance, it’s cool too.

Get your money working for you instead of a bank! You could earn up to 4% PER MONTH. Ask me how!

Profile photo of YasminaYasmina
    @yasmina

Hi robo,

I am in process of getting the quotes myself and pools are getting more expensive every year. Couple years ago you could have fiberglass pool for half price of concrete one but those days are long over. I was always against the pools (maintenance, cost, limiting yourself when you sell) but…brings lots of joy as well, kids pool party’s, nice family time as well. You just have to decide are you going to listen to your heart or borrow less $$$$$$$$ ???? I am going for a pool, what about YOU???

Yasmina

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.