All Topics / Value Adding / how much land do you need

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of NATS12NATS12
    @nats12

when looking at subdivision, how much land is the minimum that you need to allocate for each property. This is for a townhouse development. am lookng at 3 on the block and going to knock down the existing house.

i’ve read the planning scheme but can’t seem to locate. If anybody could direct me to where in the planning scheme you could find this info it would be appreciated. I haven’t spoken to council yet, but it’s in outer eastern suburbs am looking for something that would suit.

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

natts

Each council have their own regulations regarding the minimum size land per dwelling. Some are 1000m2 per dwelling, some are 250m2. You need to check with the council to see what they allow.

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Hi Nats,

You won’t find a minimum size in the planning scheme. There isn’t one. If you have a look at completed unit developments you will get an idea of what can be built in the area. It is a waste of time going to the council until you have a design to show them.

Regards
    Alistair

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

you can still ring up and enquire about the minimum size requirement. you need this info to know whether you can put up 2 dwellings or 10

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I disagree with Aperry. I think it vital that you see the council planner and see what the zoning is and what is permitted. What’s the point doing a design if you don’t know the basics first?

I have done it numerous times and they are always very helpful to me.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker

[email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi NATS12
    I’m with simon on this one but you need to go to the council meet a planner get his card and ask your question re land per site and yes it is different for.
    duplex
    townhouse
    and units ( if its units ask me again)
    Make sure you get on well with this planner when you meet him or her as he/she maybe one of your best friends by the time of the end of your development.
    not sure of the state.
    I use external planners as they usually get the job done better.

here to help

Profile photo of hmackayhmackay
    Participant
    @hmackay

Hi Nats12,

Am doing a 3 unit development on a standard resi block in Wantirna at the moment.

I assume that you are talking outer east Melbourne.

I suggest you could approach the local council first to get their views on how many units you could get on the block. or

Engage an architek. I can recommend a very good one, PM if interested.

hrm

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

There is nothing wrong with speaking to the a council planner, but you are wasting your time if you don’t have a design to show them. If you don’t have any idea about the rules that apply, then you should employ a designer who is familiar with unit developments or consultant planner to advise you.

It is impossible for a council planner to tell you whether you can or can’t do soemthing without a design in place, and any feedback they give you without one is meaningless anyway.

Please note that I do know what I am talking about here as this is my business. It is also important to note that a good designer can fit a lot more on a block than a poor designer.

Regards
    Alistair

Profile photo of MortgagemanMortgageman
    Participant
    @mortgageman

Hi Nats,

Each council’s planning scheme will have a Municipal Strategic Statement which sets out areas allocated for high density. If your block is in a high density area it is more likely that you will be able to sub-divide and put units on the block. I’m not sure about other states as planning systems are unique in each state, but in Victoria, planning is quite a subjective profession. Each design will be looked at on its merits and the particular design and how it fits into the council’s strategic plans for the area will determine if you can get council support. I suggest you engage the services of a planning professional and/or designer experienced with unit developments.

Good luck,

Mortgageman

Profile photo of P_IP_I
    @p_i

Hi Nats12

When I wanted to develop in SA, made an appointment with one of council planners and asked what they would like to see on the land, what the council wanted to happen in the suburb. Got fantastic support, gave me dev plan for council area, told me minimum size for dwelling before they got nervous. Got the direct phone number and email address of the specific planner and we chatted on mail sveral times. He gave me hints on council time lines and when to have someting to them to meet the cycle of evaluation/ recommendation/ circulation/ decision/ approval process the council had put in place. Council at thier expense moved a bustop and public lighting so the dev could go ahead.

My advice – get a friend on the inside!!!

cheers PI

Profile photo of Property PassionProperty Passion
    @property-passion

well P_I im impressed, good on you for making that happen and will definatly be more friendly with the next council planner i come across.

Always good to have a friend on the inside helping you out or making you aware of things that you might not know. I do this alot with REA. Never thoughtof planners in the same way. I will from now on [biggrin]

“It’s not how much money you make, It’s how you spend it that matters.”

Aspiring property developer

Giulio Taranto

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.