All Topics / General Property / Quizz – LVR percentage- R U COMFY?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of giddogiddo
    @giddo

A little quiz for those who read the recent thread CRASHH!!!!! and who thought to themselves like I did – hmmmm I wonder whether my own LVR would cope with a 20 to 30 % drop in property values.
    I don’t mean that my bank may be on the phone about my exposure – we are lucky that property isn’t like shares with those margin calls.
    I only am talking about COMFORT levels here.
    I guess servicability certainly comes into it a lot but I am talking about that sleep at night factor of LVR. Can we sleep at night with a smug little smile playing at my lips, or do we toss and turn? Getting a new bed will not help – It may be the LVR.

Quizz: What is your LVR percentage, and are you comfy with it, and why??
    I will lead off – mine is 41% right now and I would be prepared to go no further than 60% till I hear that bell ring at the bottom of the market. (little joke there)

Giddo
    http://www.standrewsplace.com.au

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Profile photo of flashflash
    @flash

40%

Looking to go 80% with right kind of properties.
    These we will purchase in the next couple of years.

Cheers.

Profile photo of giddogiddo
    @giddo

Thanks FLASH – anyone else??????
    I wanna hear from someone is 95% and v comfy with it and will tell me why??
    I am here to learn.
    Anybody??

Giddo

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi giddo
    I run 65% normally and I haven’t calculated for a while but seens you ask I’m currently running 55% and this is about to climb within 3 weeks( hopefully )to 67.5%
    I don’t recommend over 80% lvr to any body (except 17 to 20 year olds who want to go to hyper drive and risk)
    I would also like to hear from investors running on this high lvr and also post the returns expected for this exposure it would want to be good.

here to help

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

I’m geared to the eyeballs and my balls are right on the line.

89%

Interest rates not property prices is the immediate danger.

I have most in fixed interest so I have negated most of the risk.

I am young and single and could only fall back to where I recently started if it went nuts. Whatever.

and if the need arose I would get a second and/or third job for cashflow.

I am still confident of basic demographics, immigration, strong Australian Economy, Market demand for properties I have and have always believed in Rich Dads Philosophy.

“Somedays the market is excited and overrates things, on other days the market is negative and underrates things, but if you buy a good value investment with strong underlying figures, then you will come out a winner in the end”

Not his exact words, but you get the drift.

And I know that in 10 -20 years time that my properties are going to be worth a lot more than they are now and potentially bring Financial Freedom much closer.

To me that is worth the risk.

My SANF is fine , and if I lose all, heck I’ll just start again.

Comfort zones need to be broken if you want to progress in life.

I wouldn’t recommend my strategy to anyone that isn’t prepared to fall all the way back to the start.

I am going to pump hard into my debts though, and once reduced I will keep things at a more comfortable level.

It’s the early years that can make a big difference later on

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

@grossrealisation

hi lifeX
    like your style.
    On the line when your young is the only way to fly, I will watch with interest and if you should fall from those heights and i’m still on the perch email me.
    see if I can help.
    Ive flown that route and you may stumble but make sure you don’t get in the tracks of others fly put of the group and look for returns or growth ( go for a risky one every so often they have the biggest return).
    Not for the faint hearted but the return at the end is more then most.
    Consolidate at least every 2 years and then fly on.

here to help

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

I’m currently sitting on about 66% but have no problems at all being up to 90% or even higher.

I only buy properties that make me money from day one so I figure that I am better off having some of that equity going towards a new property to earn me more money.

Of course I lose sleep but that’s because buying property is stressful, but having such a high LVR doesn’t add to my stres levels.

It’s all a game. If it all goes wrong then my husband and I will just go back to having jobs -exactly what we were doing before we started buying property.

Cheers

K

@lifex

Thanks for encouragement GR.

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

We’ve kept a graph of our overall LVR for the last 11 years, tracking it every 3 months when the VGO data comes out or when either a large payment has been made or a new acquisition comes onboard.

Initially the graph is very erratic, with the first IP sending it over 90%. With a few payments this comes screaming down really quickly.

After a while the figures start evening out as the numbers get bigger and the magic of compounding takes hold.

It’s to the point now where my entire salary for a year could be dumped into the loans and you wouldn’t be able to notice it on the graph. The only thing that affects it nowadays is the rise (or fall) in property values. It’s been a slow and boring graph to construct, and to tell you the truth it all gets a bit blaise after a while.

My lender has a copy of it, and is slightly comfortable in breaking some of their “fixed rules” about LVR’s and LMI’s. We don’t know exactly where their rubbery limit is anymore, but their specific comment was “they do feel more comfortable extending us another loan rather than writing 20 other loans for people with track records they don’t yet know.”

We’ve also been tracking net worth, nest egg, cashflow, debt and my favourite the equity in each property for the past 11 years.

The vertical axis scale has had to be altered three times to accomodate the changes.

My favourite mental and visual “spur on” is to have a white survey marker on the right hand side of each property. It’s supposed to start at the front of the property when you buy it, and move along as you pay it off, reaching the back fence when it’s fully paid off. Lending 106% sometimes, it’s been on the council verge a few times, but it’s great to stand at the peg and look forward to the front of the block and see “We own this bit”…the daunting bit is turning around and saying “the Bank owns all of that” from where you are to the back fence.

You quickly appreciate that whilst you may think it is ‘yours’, really we are all just property managers and the Banks are the ones that are controlling this show.

Tenants have never noticed or said anything, but I get immense satisfaction when the VGO data comes out, to trundle along and shift the white pegs a step or two back towards the back fence (or in our latest props, bring the peg off the council verge and back actually onto the property) !!!

We sleep fine. Hi LVR’s, lo LVR’s…it all gets a bit ho-hum after a while. We find you generally extend yourself up to your capabilities. If you overextend, the Lenders generally tap you on the shoulder fairly quickly.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of thomaspthomasp
    @thomasp

Currently at about 73%. Have just convinced the bank to allow us to go back up to 80% even though considered an expat and outside their normal criteria – nice to have a win there and not have to pay the stamp duty and exit fees to change!

Getting the PPOR and IP revalued to go for IP number 2 to take us back to 80%. Only beginning so agree with LifeX that nows the time to do it.

If anything been thinking too much about next steps and lack of borrowing rather than what we currently owe.

Thomas

Profile photo of Nat RNat R
    @nat-r

Have been as high as 110% currently at 45% …moving to 85% soon.

To be honest I don’t see why it is relevent….debt service ratio is the one that you need to focus on.

Profile photo of giddogiddo
    @giddo

Hello nat R and all[suave3]

You are right of course, if you can service the loan all else is incidental.
    I thought was relevant only IF – IF a serious scenario hit us as discussed in thread CRASHH!!!!
    e.g. I would feel more comfortable sitting on 70% LVR than on 100 % if a world wide collapse occurred as discussed in CRASH!!

On 70% LVR one could still retain some equity in the investment after a collapse of say 20%.
    I guess it is the quality of sleep I am thinking of.[happy3]

Giddo

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    Originally posted by lifeX:

I’m geared to the eyeballs and my balls are right on the line.

89%
    My SANF is fine , and if I lose all, heck I’ll just start again.

Negative equity.
    Imagine the situation. For some reason or another, you need to sell one or all of your properties. Because house prices have fallen, you have 2 choices:
    a) sell at less than the outstanding loan(s) and spend the next XXX years paying for something you’ve already sold.

b) bankruptcy. This will leave you unable to secure finance for XXX years. Remember that all lending criteria would be tightened up to prevent further bad-debt exposure to the banks/mortgage insurers etc.

Either way, this whold “start again from nothing” business will be delayed for quite some time…

I worry that many folk don’t fully understand how crippling negative equity can be. It makes borrowing money very difficult, even for the little things in life.

Cheers, F.[cowboy2]

Edit (forgot to answer the question!!!)

Current LVR: 0%

Debt free, the way to be. (at the top of the cycle anyway!)

@grossrealisation

hi all
    I like to read these post just a short note.
    Linar look at assett protection then if it does go pear shaped you may not lose the lot don’t know youyr vehicle but mine is I have a max of losing one asset at a any on event or loss.
    may be an idea to look into it.

here to help

Profile photo of Nat RNat R
    @nat-r

So many “what ifs” ….what if there is no crash , what if you don’t lose your job, what if you don’t haev to sell.

While ever I have the ability to work I can service the loans and all is cool. I would hate to get to 90 years old and realise that I should have borrowed more through out mylife….its not like you get a seceond chance.

I would rather be close to broke a couple of times in my life than poor for all my life !!!!

@lifex

Foundation,

I know a lot of people can get wiped out in a market crash and if interest rates soar then highly geared portfolios with no room to move on debt servicing levels will be in for hard times.

But these scenarios don’t last forever and I think anyone in this position would have backup reserves (temp credit, cash buffer, or other)

And if needed you just have to find more money, another job. There are many things you can do before you HAVE to sell in a crashing market.

There are “Sky is falling” doomsayers in every market.

To Quote Margaret Lomas “buy when you can afford to, NOT when you think you are reading the market”

No-one knows for sure this is the top of the market!

[biggrin]

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.