All Topics / Help Needed! / Has anyone ever used Residex?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of komarikomari
    @komari

Hi all,
    Residex was recommended to me as a research tool for finding investment properties. Has anyone used their reports in successfully researching an area for properties? Are their predictions accurate to any extent? I just want some reassurance that they are worth the money to purchase the reports or if there is some way to get the same information for free (ie, taking the time to find it myself). If that is possible, how?

komari

Profile photo of JULES1JULES1
    Participant
    @jules1

I have not used Residex however they have a very good name. I was thinking about buying their reports myself. I don’t think there is any report that tells you where to invest or what the best areas are, it is more a process of researching this yourself and using the Residex research will assist you to identify certain characteristics about suburbs in the state you are interested in. I think there may be a variety of reports available, but nothing that says in black and white – invest in suburb XX.

Let us know how you go with the reports and what the prices are like!!!

Juls [biggrin]

JULES1
    Email Me

Profile photo of WakeWake
    Participant
    @wake

Hi Komari

Jules1 is correct. Residex won’t tell you where to invest. Their reports are based solely on statistics, ie historical data, so they don’t/can’t take into consideration things such as proposed new infrastructure, or the potential loss of income for an area etc etc, but we have found their reports to be quite useful in conjunction with our own research into areas, so the cost has been worth it. There are a variety of reports for different purposes so you should look at their website to see if any are relevant to you. I’m sure you could find all the info yourself from other sources, but I wouldn’t know where to start, and the time you would spend searching could be better utilised doing other due diligence (IMHO).

Wake

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

There are heaps of places to get free info…

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au/index_files/hot_links.htm

Contacting Councils or their websites is also a great benefit.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Profile photo of LuciLuci
    @luci

Yep, invested in some residex data when purchasing my first investment property.

There’s a lot of info floating around both for free and for a price, and you’ll find that it at time contradicts. Different data companies collate their info in different ways – which explains the differences.

I think Australian Property Monitors only analyse auction results. Seeing as only about 20% of property is sold at auction, this is limited.

Residex actually compares each sold property (regardless of auction, private, etc) with the price they last sold for, and divides the number of years etc to determine the growth rate. Personally I believe that this is a much more acurate way to determine growth, because it irons out different trends in home sizes etc (ie. going by the more generalised data – if a whole heap of studio units were built in the suburb you are studying, suddenly the medium unit price would drop because prior to this most units were three bedroom). In a nutshell, Residex compares like with like.

Though nothing is perfect – it can’t take into consideration whether the property has had value added since it last sold (renovated).

They do have a “top 100 prediction” list you can buy for either metropolitan or rural areas in the state of your choice. As Wake mentioned, this is primarily determined by the trends they see in their statistics – and is certainly no substitute for due diligence.

Depending on which reports you buy, they do include analysis of data – not ONLY stats. These guys have been studying the trends for years, and like all good statisticians they try to explain why things have happened and predict where it may lead. They may not go down to each and every council to check plans, but they do consider political, taxation and inflation factors – and in the case of well known infrastructure (such as new motorways etc) they read the papers like the rest of us.

Listening to the guy who set up Residex at the recent Sydney property/investment show – he said his recommendation for Sydney was to pick the growing satellite city/suburbs such as Hornsby etc that currently haven’t had much in the way of units built, but will probably follow the trend as set by Parrammatta, Chatswood etc. Very much recommends the “buy in high density areas with guarenteed population growth” mindset.

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

I think he was using the Train Station PLUS a Westfield policy. It is pretty hard to go wrong in this situation. Even with the numerous units going into Hornsby, I still think this is a good area to look at.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Profile photo of komarikomari
    @komari

Thanks for the advice everyone. I really appreciate it. I am a complete newby and am basically at the stage of “where do I start”. Mortgage Advisor, I had a quick glance at your hot links page – it looks really helpful and I will take the time to have a good look at the research sites. I realise that I should check out concils of towns/cities where I want to invest, but right now, I really want some way to determine which town/city to look at. I’ve got equity out the yahoo, but not much cash so I have to be really conscious of keeping an eye out for properties with good cash flow potential rather than capital growth at this time.

Thanks again to everyone who answered.

komari

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.