All Topics / Creative Investing / Creative Low Money Down Technique: settlement cheq

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

Groms, I don’t believe you are telling the solicitor the whole story.

Did you tell them that your girlfriend could not get finance at the lower amount?

Did you tell them that your associated costs will be much less than the $10,000 you are over-inflating the price by?

I think the funniest thing will be that when a valuation on the property is done and it comes in at $108,000 or less again, you will have lost a stack of money that you spent trying to rort the system.

You do realise that if you were trying to borrow more than 80% LVR against the property and attempt to do so again, they could find out the last valuation don’t you? There are only two mortgage insurers and they speak to each other and you might even end up with the same one.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Profile photo of markpatrickmarkpatrick
    @markpatrick

Also if there is a problem with mortgage insurance or building insurance you run the risk of not getting a cent.
    If it was an IP and you did not disclose it, it would be taxation evasion/fraud also.

Profile photo of kerwynkerwyn
    @kerwyn

Hi All
    Correct me if I am wrong?
    Doesn’t buying a property from a mortgage lender require a property valuation? If you add $10000 or $20000 to a property and the valuation comes in at that price, then you can’t be breaking any laws.
    How does anyone know that the $108000 is the true market value for that house, it could be undervalued by $10000?
    If the valuation comes in lower that the asking price then the banks will probably ask for a bigger deposit or won’t approve the loan.
    Can’t see any problem if the valuation comes in OK at the higher price.
    Kerwyn.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Kerwyn

You just dont get do you.
    Non disclosure is a simple act of FRAUD.

Topic closed

Cheers Richard
    richard at castlewhite.com.au
    Email me for details of our Qld wrap CD which gives you a full Installment Contract.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of LuciLuci
    @luci
    Originally posted by Qlds007:

Kerwyn

You just dont get do you.
    Non disclosure is a simple act of FRAUD.

Topic closed

Cheers Richard
    Email me for details of our Qld wrap CD which gives you a full Installment Contract.

Perhaps you don’t get it, Richard. No one has said anything about not disclosing the information.

When you apply for a loan, you fill out the paperwork and the bank evaluates that paperwork (to give them false information would be fraud, but no one is suggesting lying to the bank here).

They also do a valuation on the property, and decide whether the amount you are paying for it, vs the amount you are borrowing from them, gives them adequate security should you default.

Then they say ‘okay’ (or ‘no’) based on the information you’ve supplied – but they don’t give you any actual money until they have read the contract (in which the full details of the deal are DISCLOSED) and double checked that your info is correct.

If they are happy to okay that the property is worth $118,000, and are satisfied that you have the required $10,000 for associated costs (which is clearly being paid by the vendor), and that you are able to service the loan – that is their business decision.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

A colleague had a client who purchased a unit for $380,000. he knew it was worth $450,000 so he just changed the price on the contract himself before submitting to the lender. The valuation came in at $450,000 and the lender wsa going to lender 80% of this amount. Of course at settlement, they found out and refused to settle, insisting on a revaluation – which came in at $380,000 (from the same valuer).

He then went to another lender, had a rebate clause inserted in the contract, the rebate was disclosed and he was able to get 80% of $450,000.

Everyone lived happily ever after.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @qlds007

Terry

I think we all now those lenders who will lend against valuation rather than purchase price.

It is luci uneducated comments we are referring to. The Vendor sets the purchase price with the aid of the selling agent. Certainly you have the opportunity of making an offer in excess of the purchase price with conditions that state you wish the Vendor to pay your legal fees etc on settlement to a given amount. This may or may not be accepted by the Vendor and his Solicitor.

The page would normally form an Annexure or Conditions page and the value of the cheque to be paid to you or rebate amount would be stated.

These pageswould form part of the standard contract and would need to be given to the lender.

No lender or his valuer is likely to add to the value of the property the cost of your legal fees.

As both Robert and I have maintained the cheques can be drawn however the Vendor or his mortgagee direct at settlement however the disclosure to the purchasers financier is another matter.

Cheers Richard

Profile photo of kerwynkerwyn
    @kerwyn

Now Now Richard no need to get bent out of shape.
    Kerwyn

Participant
    @qlds007

I am not getting bent anywhere.

I just get annoyed when people with no idea and obviously no experience start spurting on how to deceive banks and advocating non disclosure.

I thought the mortgage & investment industry was slowly weeding out the rotten apples but there appears to be new ones wanting to step into there place.

Cheers Richard

Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla

Hi all,
    I am confused here…. if hte seller and the buyer have agreed and the bank agrees that the property values up …. and the buyer can service the loan…. where is the issue again?
    Cheers
    Kiwi.

Looking for Positive cashflow solutions?
    Look no further
    Wraps-Lease Options & JV’s
    http://www.kiwilogic.biz
    We are investing in NZ so if you are looking for + cashflow properties…contact: [email protected] to join our database.

Profile photo of apostleapostle
    Participant
    @apostle

“Terry

I think we all now those lenders who will lend against valuation rather than purchase price.”

Wewll, I would just LOVE to know who these lenders are!!

If I have a sworn valuation at $250,000 and I can pick it up for $225,00, then that’s a good deal. Banks only want the purchase price because they want as much security as they can get.

Cash backs are NOT fraud, unless you deliberatly hide this info from ther lender. In my opinion,
    if some of the cashback is also going back into the property to add value to it, banks should be very happy as the property has now increased in value and their risk is less!

Any lenders out there who lend by the ‘correct’ criteria, ie: what the sworn valuation is as opposed to the purchase price.. hello I have a lot of business for you!

thanks

John

Apostle

Profile photo of taztaz
    @taz

wouldn’t this practice also manipulate the market ie inflating prices… which could be good or bad depending on whether you’re a buyer or seller

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

I thought I’d throw my two cent’s worth in and give you the definitive answer.

As a former prosecutor I can tell you that artificially inflating the purchase price of a property to get greater finance is, as has been pointed out, a fraudulent act by the purchaser upon the bank/financier. If the vendor is aware of the artificial inflation and assists by writing the cheque, he/she is a party to that fraud and could be prosecuted.

While not directly on point, there is an article in the latest API on what is called a ‘double contracting’ scam at page 38. You should have a read of this article because the legal ramifications are the same.

Karen

Profile photo of Michael_YardneyMichael_Yardney
    @michael_yardney

Karen, we do this all the time in our developments and the fact that we have over 85 projects currently, suggests we know what we are doing. It is perfectly legal.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Rebates are commonly used by developers, particularly for presales, as they do not want the whole of the devlopment being valued at the price of a small percentage of the units.

There are lenders that realise this and will lend against the contract price, pre rebate.

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

Michael

Is there disclosure to the bank?

Does the purchaser declare the extra money as income?

Does the vendor include the total amount (including the amount to be refunded to the purchaser) in their income tax return for CGT purposes?

If the answer is no to any of these questions, then I would be reluctant to post on the internet that my company engaged in these practices.

Karen

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.