All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Pay off or 80% Loan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of JULES1JULES1
    Participant
    @jules1

Hi
    Hope someone can assist me with this one. I am in a bit of a frazzle because I don;t know what to do.

Have just signed a contract to purchase a property $375k. I can borrow 80% or I can pay borrow 40% and put up the cash myself. I want to live in the house for 12 months, renovate, and then either sell it or turn it into an IP.

At the moment I think that I would sell it 12 or 18 months from now rather than use it as an IP, seeing as I will be renovating.

But whats the best thing to do in terms of borrowing. Borrow 80% or 40%. The interest on the loan is what is scaring the dickens out of me.

Please someone with the know how, give me your advice.

many thanks
    Jules[blush2]

JULES1
    Email Me

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

The less you borrow the easier it will be to qualify and you will also save a bit on stamp duty on the mortgage (except in Vic where this has been abolished?). You will also save interest.

If need be you could probably increase your loan to 80% later, but this may have tax consequences.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of JULES1JULES1
    Participant
    @jules1

Thanks Terry
    I have an appointment with the bank this week and needed some advice before fronting them

Jules

JULES1
    Email Me

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Jules,

As Terry said borrowing 40% will make it easier to secure finance.

Given the uncertainty of your plans post, 12 months, I ownder if you wouldn’t be better off using the 40$ difference between an 80% and 40% and placing these funds in an offset account (note I assume you have this in cash).

This will enable you to reduce your interest bill by this amount while still being able to use the funds at the end of 12 months if your plans change.

At the same time this cash is readily accessible if your world goes pear shaped.

Using this approach will also enable you to maintin full deductibility of the 80% – if this is in fact consistent with your plans.

Hope this helps.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

Profile photo of JULES1JULES1
    Participant
    @jules1

Thanks you have both helped

Jules

JULES1
    Email Me

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.