All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Additional Payments on principal amount

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of theBuildingSurveyortheBuildingSurveyor
    @thebuildingsurveyor

Hi guys,
    I am sure this has been asked b4. If additional payments are made of the pricipal on an IP Loan such as a Lump sum payment of 20K etc, to reduce interest etc, then this money is redrawn for non-investment purposes, (such as a car) will the interest amount after the money being taken out again be tax-deductable, or before the money has been taken out. Does this money have to go in an off set account instead. It would make it very hard for the accountant to work out the interest amount if you redraw several times on the loan. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by theBuildingSurveyor:

If additional payments are made of the pricipal on an IP Loan such as a Lump sum payment of 20K etc, to reduce interest etc, then this money is redrawn for non-investment purposes, (such as a car) will the interest amount after the money being taken out again be tax-deductable, or before the money has been taken out.

Whether the interest incurred on the extra borrowings is tax deductible is determined by the purpose of the loan. Under the circumstances described – this ‘redrawn’ interest is not deductible.

The balance of the loan (for the IP) remains tax deductible.

Does this money have to go in an off set account instead.

Placing ‘windfalls’ in an offset account is much tidier and certainly makes the ‘is this deductble interest or not question easier to answer’. Bear in mind the windfall proportionally reduces the interest bill for the period of time that it is there anyway. As such the net effect is the same.

It would make it very hard for the accountant to work out the interest amount if you redraw several times on the loan. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Can be done – but needs an apportioning process and very good record keeping. Also bear in mind the accountant may charge ‘extra’ for long hours spent over a calculator.

Have also moved this post to ‘legal and accounting’ forum.

Cheers

Derek
    [email protected]
    0409 882 958
    Property investment advice and researched property in quality locations available.

Profile photo of theBuildingSurveyortheBuildingSurveyor
    @thebuildingsurveyor

Derek thanks for the info. Is it likely the tax office would find out if the interest claimed is similar from year to year. Not that I would cheat the tax system, I am just querying.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi TBS,

The advent of technology is giving the ATO greater capacity to ‘red flag’ people and transactions. Whether or not they could identify the scenario being discussed as being outside the tax act I don’t know.

However, I will say that for the sake of a $1400/annum ($20K @ 7%) deduction – is it worth it?

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If the amount of interest claimed on an IP suddenly goes up when there has been no interest rate rise, then it may ring alarm bells at the ATO.

I think there may even be a question on the tax return asking if any investment loans have been increased during the year.!?!

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.