All Topics / Help Needed! / Replacing weather boards

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of TringTring
    @tring

Hello

Does anyone have experience in replacing damaged weather boards?
    I have a single front weather board house which has some damaged and rotting weather boards. Can some experience people give some advise for me to replace these?

Thankyou in advance

Regards
    Start

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Start from the bottom?[biggrin]

Profile photo of TringTring
    @tring

Thanks Foundation;

Is there any special technique require?
    If only a section of the length of the board is rotten, Can I just saw that section off or do you suggest to replace the whole board? Mind you that the boards are a bit old.
    Can I buy the new boards from Bunnings? Are there different types of weather board that I have to look out for or they all of the same width and thickness?

sorry for more questions.

Regards

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Unfortunately weatherboards come in all different sizes – matching your old ones might be difficult (or you could be lucky and find them easily!).
    If you manage to match your boards you can replace single weatherboards or small sections. Just be sure to have a stud behind the join to nail the ends into, and seal all joins with a paintable silicone. If they are all in poor condition you might find it easier to replace the whole lot at once rather than a few each year (and repaint).
    You’ll often find the top few rows have been protected from the weather enough that they don’t need replacing, in which case it is fine to use different shaped boards for the bottom and leave the old ones up top. The effect can be pleasing to the eye if well done.
    Any old building supplies shop will stock some kind of weatherboard. I’d recommend Weathertex or Hardies Linea over traditional wooden boards.
    Cheers, F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of JunkersJunkers
    @junkers

Replacing weatherboards is quite easy. All you have to do is lift the board above the rotten one up so you can get it out, and either replace the whole board or just cut out the rotten bit and replace it with a new section.
    Go talk to the guys at Bunnings, they will tell you exactly how to do it.

@tring

Hello Foundation and Junkers;

Thankyou for your help and ideas.
    One more question, I have noticed that one of the stud behind the rotten weather board is also rotten, Is this going to be a major job or can it be easily replaced? ie saw away the rotten section and join new section to the stud.

thanks again.
    Regards
    Start

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi Start,

slow down with the old saw. First find out why the area is rotten. Most common reason in the area you describe is broken or leaking guttering. You need to get the water away from the wood by fixing this problem or you could end up where you started. Could also be ground water in which case you will need to get some drainage in the ground and get the water running away from the house before you start.
    The job (weather boards) is pretty simple. Just lift the old with a pair of small pry bars (slowly) so you dont spilt any of the “good” boards. Get yourself a long nail punch and punch the old nail through then just left em out. If this does not work get a hack saw blade in behind the back and saw them away from the studs.
    Before you start make sure you have the boards to put back on. Don’t get caught with your pants down having nothing to cover the damaged section.
    Even if it is just a section of marine ply or something you will have to protect the internal wals from the elements during the work phase.
    The stud problem is not a big one BUT if it is rotten then the bottem plate is probably gone which brings us back to the begining. What caused the damage? How wet is the ground around the area etc etc.
    Spend some time with a shovel and dig in some ag pipe near the footings on that damp side. Fill your lovely little trench with some stone (fine blue metal is very cheap and does the job)and cover the top back up.
    While you are doing all this soul cleansing work you can contemplate the weather board problem.
    Oh, and once you have it fixed get some really good undercoat on those boards. You could even seal the bottom few courses with diluted bond crete etc.
    Good Luck.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of marsdenmarsden
    @marsden

A lot of good info provided so far! If you haven’t already found out you will discover that weatherboards are tongue and groove and you may have to cut the tongue to remove sections. Again, if you are going to patch and therefore cut out a slice along a joist you may have to fill out the joist with a batten to allow you to nail the new piece into place.
    Have you got termite/white ant damage or for that matter have borers caused the damage. How old is the building? You may have to go to a retoration supplier to match the weaterboard.
    I have restored many old weatherboard houses and, in many cases, it is financially very worthwhile to do the job correctly. Can you give more details?

@tring

Hello Don @ Liz

It was a leaking gutter problem that I overlooked and haven’t attended to for two years now.
    I will fix the weather boards and the gutters this long weekend. Thanks for your input.

Hello Marsden;

The house was built in 1935, I don’t think the weather board on my house have any tongue or groove because I remoember one time that one of the board had sagged dowm due to a rusted nail, so I pushed the board back up and nail a new nail in.

“Again, if you are going to patch and therefore cut out a slice along a joist you may have to fill out the joist with a batten to allow you to nail the new piece into place.”
    Is the correct term for the stud behind the weather board called “joist” ? Ok, so I saw away the rotten section of the joist, join new timber to the joist and may need to nail in a batten to attach the new weather board.

Thank you all for you help and ideas.
    Regards
    Start

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

No worries have fun with the job. It is usually water that causes these problems.
    Good Luck.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.