All Topics / General Property / Seminar Scams…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974

Hi all,

I was having a debate with a business partner (BP) of mine after reading a recent article on investment seminars. My BP was arguing that all investment seminars are a waste of money at best & at worst are scams.

My BP challenged me to come up with one thing that I had learned at a seminar that I could not have learned from a book, magazine, or forum that cost less than $10.

I couldn’t think of anything so I thought I would pose the question here. Obviously I’m not asking for people to give up all their secrets, but in general terms has anyone learned anything at a seminar that they couldn’t have learned elsewhere?

[withstupid]

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I’ve spent a few 10s of thousands at seminars over the years, and would have to agree that there is nothing out there in these seminars that you can’t find in books or forums.

But it is not the same. Going to a seminar can really motivate some people, and this could be worth thousands itself. Others can be motivated by reading books too though.

It can help also by hearing something explained rather that reading about it. You tend to get more info at seminars and can learn from others questions.

Then there are the people you meet and the connections you make on the seminars.

Just don’t pay too much for them when you can’t afford it.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

OK I’ll stick my neck out[blush2]

I have a vested interest which will become clear in a minute.

There is no doubt that some seminars are a waste of money. And of course you could read some of the content in books or find it on the internet.

But there are others where you will definately get value for money and learn from the presenters.

Steve McKnight is someone you would learn from and pick up points that are not in his books or on this forum.

How do I know?

Well… I have read his books and I have presented on the same stage as him(in Nov last year in Brisbane.) He was a great presenter and of course some of the contents is in his books but some wasn’t. At a seminar you have a chance to interact with the presenter.

Are seminars worth the money?

Well that depends….

For 4 years I have been running an annual seminar called the “Real World” real estate workshop and each year I offer a money back guarantee, for anyone who at the end thinks they didn’t get their money’s worth (that’s right you get to stay till the end.)

Of the hundreds of attendees NOT ONE has asked for their money back, so they felt the investment was worth it.

What about the stuff that’s not in the books or on the internet?

I can give you a hundred testimonials from experienced investors that attended my workshop who will tell you that the advanced topics covered are not available elsewhere.

I know because I “spill my guts” and tell all the details I have learned over 30 years in real estate as do the other 7 presenters.

All the presenters are active in property today and are increasing their portfolios in this market.

There is still alot to learn, don’t be cynical.

Find someone who has done it already and is still doing it.(not a theorist.)

Steve McKnight has done it and has shown others how to.

So have I for a bit longer than Steve, but then I am a lot older. So have the Reno Kings, Dale Gatherum-Goss, Rob Balanda and that’s why I have invited them to join me at our workshop. Check out this link

http://www.metropoleprojects.com.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?art_id=107

Please keep learning. It’s one of the traits common to successful people.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974

For the most part it seems as though my business partner may be onto something….[blink]

Although, I could imagine getting something out of a workshop where you were learning a specific skill or highly technical information (e.g., a complex financing arrangement).

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

I’ve spoken at one of the Reno Kings seminars and seen how they run them. There are group sessions and exercises, real life problem solving etc. They are a high energy, high involvement seminar. I’m not sure whether those guys have a book, but if they do I can’t see how they could replicate everything they cover in a seminar. I think a good seminar allows ample time for questions from the floor, too. You won’t get that opportunity from a book.
    But of course, there are lousy seminars too where the presenter is just paraphrasing their own book.
    I’d say the ones to be wary of are those where the presenter has just released a book and is riding the publicity wave. They’re the ones where the seminar tends to be the book.
    Scott

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

@granth_1974

Excellent tip depreciator…sounds like a good way to think about it. Thanks.[biggrin]

Profile photo of info27795info27795
    @info27795

Yes! I am a person who goes to various seminars. As a trainer and seminar presenter myself, I learn a great deal about how people present and sell on stage. Seeing people present is a great way to learn the stuff you can not get in books etc.

I have learnt 99% of what I know about property and share investing at seminars as I prefer not to read books, it seems to take me too long. and I don’t get to ask questions.

Cheers Steve Gray

PS if you pick up one thing from a seminar and use it, you may well pay for the session many times over, I have! eg an intro to negotiating (free) seminar. I saved over $10,000 in the next 6 months!

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

I am about to launch (sooooon) resiwealth.com 5 x cd’s 1 x dvd 30 modules, one folder, on line coaching, and chat room, full back up support over 1500 pages of info from Financial Planners/ Accountants/Goals Books etc etc etc

What about the price … stay tuned … regards Phil

Profile photo of eesholeeeshole
    @eeshole

I went to a Henry Kaye seminar a few years back. Not the $15,000 one, just the intro where you paid $49 and got to bring another person free. There was a money back guarantee.

At the seminar there was nothing groundbreaking, just very general strategy to buy off the plan on long settlement with deposit bond, then revalue just before settlement, borrow 80% of valuation (which hopefully given capital growth in the past year or so should be enough to borrow the entire original purchase price), then revalue again every year, then build your portfolio and draw out the rising equity to fund your lifestyle.

I didn’t feel that I learned anything particularly useful, so I decided to take them up on the money back guarantee. When the session finished, I looked around for a staff member to speak to. All I saw was an empty desk at the doorway. No one in sight. The next morning they could proudly say no one wanted their money back, so everyone got value from the seminar.

I have been to other seminars from time to time, and I must say that the only value I have got from them was just a prompt to think about investing. I have not met anyone who has gone to a seminar and gone on to make a lot of money from it.

If the seminar presenter was to work with me personally to source and arrange appropriate investments, and only got paid out of the profits if I made money out of it, I would be the first to sign up. But if they want my money up front, and offer nothing but promises that they can’t be held accountable to, then forget it.

Having said that, I believe seminars CAN be very worthwhile. It’s just that I haven’t come across any that I have been impressed with. Apologies to the seminar presenters on this forum. This is not directed towards you guys.

@granth_1974

I’m hearin’ ya, eeshole…

At the seminar there was nothing groundbreaking, just very general strategy to buy off the plan on long settlement with deposit bond, then revalue just before settlement, borrow 80% of valuation (which hopefully given capital growth in the past year or so should be enough to borrow the entire original purchase price), then revalue again every year, then build your portfolio and draw out the rising equity to fund your lifestyle.

Just in relation to the strategy being proposed by the seminar (above), I just wanted to show my ignorance and ask a question. Obviously this strategy has worked for some (many???) but I assume they went through brokers and/or low doc loans? Re: the revaluing before settlement – I was recently talking to a lender from one of the major banks and they said part of their risk management strategy is that they will only ever value the property you are buying at the settlement price. i.e., if you agree to buy at $200K (even with 12 months settlement), when drawing up the loan docs, the bank will only value at $200K (even in 12 months time). So, I assume you would have to go to another lender (broker) if you wanted to revalue and borrow again before settlement.

Can anyone clarify this?

Cheers,
    Jason.

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Jason,

Yep, my Lender takes Settlement price or Valuer’s latest price – whichever is the lower…sneaking up the equity levels makes great seminar material but in reality the Lenders aren’t that stupid…it’d be their extra money being put at risk and they aren’t into that…

In terms of attending seminars – never been to one myself…perhaps I’m missing out on something really good – dunno. Maybe a jar of motivation and some contacts from fellow seminees (sounds kinda rude doesn’t it ??) is what it’s really about…

What I do know is that the group of elderly gentlemen I’ve met recently who’ve been developing CIP’s and IIP’s for donkeys and are now heavily loaded have never been to a seminar in their life and wouldn’t give the time of day to the “upstart young” presenters as they call them.

Each to his own though….motivation is a powerful driving force linked to a well marked out plan…maybe that is where the seminars real strength lies, in providing that little boost needed, with the actual specific content not that relevant ??

I’ve found sitting down face to face with these elderly gentlemen over a cup of tea far more enlightening than any advertised slick presenter. To me it makes sense that if you are making buckets of cash doing developments, you couldn’t afford the time to tell other wannabe’s how to do it, regardless of the seminar cost…unless ego and other cross endorsement products start to come into play…now I’m getting a tad cynical.

Do you reckon there is likely to be a little “Stevie” doll on the market soon ??

Cheers,

Dazzling

“Go hard or go home”

Profile photo of Kerri-67Kerri-67
    @kerri-67

It’s rather difficult to ask a book to clarify a point you don’t quite understand[tongue]

Kez :)

More investment strategies —> http://www.21stcenturyacademy.com.au/cmd.php?af=199400

@granth_1974

I’m with you Dazzling…

Kerri-67…You just write to the author, editor, or publisher (whichever applies at the time) & ask them to clarify. In my experience, the ones who are professional will take the time to respond to your inquiry.[rolleyes]

Profile photo of TokyoJoeTokyoJoe
    @tokyojoe

In the end you have to go out and do it for yourself. I think many people go to seminars thinking they will learn every detail as to what to buy, where to buy and how to go about making the purchase. Probably the most people get out it is the motivational aspect, kind of like reading a Kiyosaki book. Doing the research yourself will be a lot more beneficial. Visit real-estate agents, bankers, local governments, auctions, search on the internet, read books, think, learn and take action.

My online investing diary: http://www.retireyoungandwealthy.com/

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Not so long ago Peter Spann was in the forum answering some questions. I have read both of his books and found them to be very informative and motivating.
    Peter freely advised that his seminars are not for everyone and that there was no information that you could not get from his books. I respect him for such and honest answer in a public forum. However, others who had been to his seminars highly recommended them.
    These days you can get alot of these books on mp3 through amazon or sites like limewire etc. For people that do alot of driving or travelling on the train etc it really makes sense.
    I have heaps of this sort of material a freely lend it to friends and family. Sharing these resources is great for keeping the costs down and also exposes you to ideas that you may not have selected off the menu if you were making the purchasing decision yourself.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of TokyoJoeTokyoJoe
    @tokyojoe

… and in the video age, some people are probably too lazy to read books.

My online investing diary: http://www.retireyoungandwealthy.com/

Profile photo of checkerchecker
    Participant
    @checker

I will not pay more than $59.95 for any seminar, there is just no magic bullet in property investing – it takes common sense, time and efforts. Without doubt some of these ‘property gurus’ make truck loads of money from these seminars. That’s my 2 cents worth.

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by checker:

I will not pay more than $59.95 for any seminar, there is just no magic bullet in property investing – it takes common sense, time and efforts. Without doubt some of these ‘property gurus’ make truck loads of money from these seminars. That’s my 2 cents worth.

I understand your viewpoint and can see that it makes sense from your perspective.

As I mentioned in a previous post I do run an expensive workshop once a year and it is only available to a small group of 80 attendees due to the interactive style of the event.

http://www.metropoleprojects.com.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?art_id=107

Last year in the fornt row was one gentleman who owned 20 properties. I had the Reno Kings come and pay to attend. they are multimillionaiers in their own right and run their own seminars.

I had serious property people there, accountants and solicitors. Most people had huge nett worths.

They must know something about paying for good information. that’spossibly how they got weathy.

And while most beginning investors probably thought like you and wouldn’t pay more that $60 for advice;those 20 or so who were “brave enough” to take the punt and did pay over $3,000 couldn’t believe the value they got.

I’ve got their testimonials on CD would be happy to mail them to anyone who is interested.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

@granth_1974

Hi Michael,

Do you know of any surveys or the like that discuss the proportion of people who self-report that they have made significant financial gains as a result of attending seminars?

I was just wondering if anyone does this style of survey? It would be intersting to see the results.

For example, it may be that everyone benefits to a low to moderate level, OR it may be that a few benefit substantially while the majority benefit very little, OR something else altogether?

cheers,
    Jason.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.