All Topics / Help Needed! / Put off study to focus on investing?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of techhowsetechhowse
    @techhowse

I need some recommendations.

I am thinking of putting off going to Uni next year just to focus on researching IP. The reason behind this is due to not wanting a huge HECS bill so soon. If planning to study, a total of 7-8 years of Excercise science and Physiotherapy.

What’s the best/close to best solution?

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Can’t see why you cannot do both. Study should be priority though (sorry to sound like your parents!)

You will have plenty of time between lectures, days off & weekends to undertake research without affecting your study or social life. In addition, univeristy experience is invaluable in dealing with different people and developing a critical mind. You’ll need those skills in investing…

Plus, it would be quite boring doing research on IP full-time….

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Yes I would have to agree with woodsman!

I put off a Bachelor of Science (Microbiology) and never went back…. The lure of earning $$$$ was too great to give it up.

Now I studdy after-hrs when I could be spending time with my wife and or kids! Studdy hint I use now is get organised then use an egg timer, 40 minutes hard-uninterupted study, then I walk away for 20 (actually 15 minutes to allow for setting up for the next subject). I walk around the house, talk to my wife, play short games with my kids or our two beautiful Rotties (rough-housing), and then get back to it.
    No reason you can’t use the internet to look up a post code, set-up a spreadsheet or something?!
    Anyway, that works for me.[grad]

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of unannouncedunannounced
    @unannounced

I am unsure as to why you are worried about the HECS debt.

If you say earn 60k straight out. You pay 4.5k to govt for HECS. This comes out of your pay at the end of the week. The amount you pay back is on a sliding scale. At 40k, you pay 2k. Below 35k, nothing.

If you take the year off, you lose the difference between what you could earn, and what you earn now. Which could be up to 40k+.

Even if you went from 20k to 30k. It’s still better off staying at uni.

As woodsman said, you would likely have time between lectures and during the holidays to still have a look at properites.

Profile photo of Brisbane 04Brisbane 04
    Participant
    @brisbane-04

Hi Techhowse,
    Get your degree, get a job continue to research property. Banks are more readily to finance a person that has a job than if you walk in and say give me money I’m an investor.Hecs is not such a great big deal, you have plenty of time. Most of the investors I hope started because of their love for property and finding great deals, most I hope do it because they love it. How else could you explain grabbing the whole family on weekends and looking at x amount of properties and then having your young kids pointing out the problems. Real Estate is not a get rich quick solution and those who quote it is have only been doing it for a few years, there are a number of investors who have been doing it for longer know the ups and downs, trust me my wife reminds of the not so good times.Good luck[biggrin]

Martin

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I love studying and spent a lot of time at uni, and a bit of money. These days the courses are so much more expensive, that I am not sure of the value. If I could go back, I would ditch Uni, start working asap, retire quicker and then go back to study for fun.

Studying Physiotherapy is probably going to cost you a forturne in HECS (its in the most expensive category I think). By the time you finish, you may have a $40,000 + HECS debt.

But, then again this is not so bad as you may never have to pay it off – if you set up your structure correctly -hard if you are PAYE, easy if self employed. You probably are interested in this area, and it is not somehting you can learn on your own.

You just have to weigh up the pros and cons.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.