All Topics / Finance / Home loan advice required

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of andymitchellandymitchell
    Participant
    @andymitchell

Hi,

I have a few questions…hope you can help:

1. is it possible to lock in an interest rate for a home loan now, for a September settlement (may sound stupid..but I had to ask).
    2. For those in the know, what is the minimum deposit required for a home loan on a 515K unit (55sq+14sq balcony). I know this will differ a lot depending on bank etc…but are there lenders (with good loan plans)..who will lend 95% (or above?). We currently have 10% of the home value saved, but if we could use some of that for e.g. furniture etc, it would help.
    3. Who are the best lenders for unit purchases? It is not an inner city unit, and is not vanilla for the area.
    4. Are the brokers e.g. aussie etc any good?

With the looming rate rise, it would be good to get some advice…

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Hi Andy,
    You can lock in fixed rates at application, most lenders charges a fee for this.
    Minimum deposit will depend on lender, post code, security, etc.
    Regarding your 10% saved, don’t forget closing costs, stamp duty etc,
    As for Aussie brokers, I don’t know. Cheers.

Steven Crane
    Interest Free Home Loan Agent
    [email protected]
    Phone: 0438 581 436

PLEASE note comments made should not be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice.

Profile photo of andymitchellandymitchell
    Participant
    @andymitchell

What are closing costs? How much is this likely to be?

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Stamp duty & registration fees will vary between each State.

At 95% LVR don’t forget to include the cost of the lenders mortgage insurance premium, some lenders allow you to capitalize LMI into the loan. Cheers.

Steven Crane
    Interest Free Home Loan Agent
    [email protected]
    Phone: 0438 581 436

PLEASE note comments made should not be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice.

Profile photo of alfamickalfamick
    Participant
    @alfamick

To reply to 4. yes, in general brokers are good – although I guess you could get good ones and bad ones. I recently went through one from this forum (brahms, in Brisbane) and my brother went through aussie in Sydney – both were excellent.

I would always use a broker since they should have a wide range of lenders to draw on and you don’t pay any extra. I’ve had too many bad experiences with banks to deal directly.

Mick

Profile photo of spaldospaldo
    @spaldo

Andy re question 1. Most banks will only lock or hold an Interest rate for you for up to a period of 60 – 90 days depending on the bank. So this wont help with your September settlement.
    Some lenders will go to 95% of property valuation to a maximum loan amount of $500k. This will depend on propety location and title zoning, type of title (ie strata title, stratum title etc)

Where is property located ?

Regards

Rod Spalding
    Australian Mortgage Brokers

Profile photo of MortgagemanMortgageman
    Participant
    @mortgageman

Hi Andy,

I don’t think you will be able to get a rate lock-in for more than 3 months unfortunately. There is usually a fee of around $250 – $300. You will be able to get up to 95% of the property if it is an investment property provided that you meet serviceability. If you are going to live in the property you may be able to borrow up to 100% of the property value (again, provided you meet serviceability). I don’t know about Aussie Brokers either, but a good broker will certainly save you time and stress, and will probably find you a better deal than you would find yourself. I hope this helps.

Good luck,

Mortgageman

Participant
    @andymitchell

Property is in N. Randwick, Sydney, near centennial park…we are planning to live in the unit for a while, then rent…to enable us to get the FHB stamp duty exemption/grant.

@spaldo

Hi again Andy,

I have a contact for a broker in the Sydney area. He won an award for salesperson of the year at the 2004 Australian Mortgage Awards which is like the logies for brokers !!
    You wont get much better than him , would you like his contact details?

Rod

Participant
    @andymitchell

Yes please…could you send me an email with the details? [email protected]

Thanks for the help.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Andy,

Not trying to rain on your parade but I question the long term wisdom of buying something for $500K with a limited deposit.

Having a debt of $450K+ in a single property puts you at some degree of risk should you find yourself without a tenant.

Just a different thought for you to consider.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property investment advice and researched property in quality locations available.

Participant
    @andymitchell

Derek,

Thanks for the comment, but that is something I have been aware of for the past 18 months, unfortunately I cannot do anything now but buy the unit, or forfeit the 10% deposit. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place and do not really have a choice.

Participant
    @andymitchell

So I’m basically trying to best manage my ball and chain, by finding out everything I can about legal/financial issues. Not that I’m blowing off, but my wife and I have spent the last 2 years saving up for a deposit, and now there is a real possibility we may lose it all.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Don’t worry too much. Randwick is a good suburb long term. You just have to get over the inital hurdles.

You couldn’t lock in a rate for more than 3 months. (the lock in fee is usually 0.15% of loan amount).

Usually 95% loans go to a max of $500,000, so you should be OK if this is the pp.

Most lenders will be able to do you unit, it just depends on what features you need. ANZ would be good as you could capitalise the LMI (ie add it on the loan, not having to come up with the $13,000 or so extra it will cost you!).

The good ones don’t stay very!

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    Originally posted by andymitchell:

Derek,

Thanks for the comment, but that is something I have been aware of for the past 18 months, unfortunately I cannot do anything now but buy the unit, or forfeit the 10% deposit. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place and do not really have a choice.

I’m sorry to hear of your predicament, and while I understand this is not the focus of your thread, I have a suggestion. If you really can walk away and lose only your 10%, get a good (not developer) valuer to check the unit over. If you would lose more than your 10% by going ahead with the purchase, you should seriously consider walking. Sure a 50k loss stings like hell, but you can move on and get on with your life. A larger loss coupled with a half million dollar ball-and-chain for the long term could have far more serious consequences.
    Once again, you have my sympathy for your situation, but you really should get some professional legal & financial advice.
    (Of course all this is my opinion only and should not be construed as serious financial advice[blink])

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Andy,

Just some thoughts

By walking away, you crystallise your $50k loss, at least with keeping the property, whilst you may start behing the 8-ball, it will rise eventually.

Although not knowing Sydney prices (being from Melbourne), $10k per sqm does seem very expensive.

This response is not finance related….however, to alay your fears you can do as foundation suggests and get the view of a valuer, however that would cost a few hundred dollars. I am sure there would be comparable sales available if not in Randwick, then nearby? Real estate agnets could help you there…This will give you some guidance of a valuation today.

Furthermore, there are some reports from Residex (and there are other property information services companies) which I have used from time to time that can provide their best assessment on different suburb forecasts…..

@foundation

I would not trust the valuation of a real estate agent as far as I could poke it with a very long stick. If you can afford to repay half a million dollars over 25 years or so I imagine you can spare a couple of hundred dollars for advice that might save you a couple of hundred grand.

Woodsman,
    While I am not overly familiar with Sydney either, I can’t imagine the situation would be fundamentally different to Melbourne where new build apartments are being valued (by qualified valuers) at 30%+ below purchase price.

@spaldo

Andy, Ive emailed the Sydney brokers details as you requested.

Good luck

Rod

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman
    Woodsman,
    While I am not overly familiar with Sydney either, I can’t imagine the situation would be fundamentally different to Melbourne where new build apartments are being valued (by qualified valuers) at 30%+ below purchase price.

You raise a good point which actually hasn’t been made explicit (or maybe I have been a bit slow to pick it up!)
    If for example, the valuation is $400k and you can only borrow $380k (95%), then you would need to come up with another $70k plus costs (if I am right in assuming you have paid a $50k deposit on $500k). That then might pose a significant issue (?)

@foundation

[blink] Actually, that potential issue had gotten past me too. I was worried about Andy’s long term risks, when there is an immediate one.
    So the first thing to do is to find out whether any lender is prepared to take on Andy’s mortgage?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.