All Topics / Help Needed! / Negative gearing – investing

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • Profile photo of mortifsmortifs
    @mortifs

A friend of mine has approached me about borrowing money against one of my properties and going in with him into a share investment type syndicate or group. I understand what negative gearing is in relation to property, but I’m not too sure why I would do this with shares?

Is there anyone that has done negative gearing in relation to shares, or is thinking about doing this and/or has done a bit of research?

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

I wouldn’t use your home as security. Get a Line of credit and redraw cash. Use this cash for your wheeling and dealing. It is still tax deductible either way.

Neg. gearing works for any investment where the costs (interest on the component of the home loan used to invest) is more than the return you get. rent/dividends/etc.

You can then make a tax deduction against your other income (job) to help offset the costs of the investment.

You hope to make capital gains that exceed the money you have to fork over in loan interest.

hope this helps

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of ChipperChipper
    Participant
    @chipper

I’ve been browsing these forums without ever joining up until i read this post cause i felt i just had to say my 2c worth.

For years i was a property man until one of my mates told me about the kind of thing you’re on about. Anyway he went into a syndicate with a few others and they all borrowed the money and put it in shares. So its still negative gearing – same deal really only its not property.

Well i looked at the portfolio and what they have achieved and when i compare that to what my property investments have done i nearly fell over. Also, now thanks to the great state government we have with all the land taxes, agents fees, insurance etc, basically my rental returns are a big fat zero on one of my investments and about 2.0% on the other one.

So i am seriously considering doing exactly what your friend suggested and diversify and finally get a decent tax benefit from neg gearing because apparently you also get tax credits or something from the income you get from a share portfolio.

My mate basically said they are getting income of about 6.5% from the syndicate which pays off most of their loan and they’ve also made over 20% capital growth in the past 12 months and don’t pay any taxes or insurance or have tenancy concerns. Anyway he told me heaps of things that sounded too good to be true until i researched it a bit more.

If you have any specific questions i can ask him and let you know on here because i’m still learning too.

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Chipper,

One swallow does not a summer make.

How much did they make in the last five years?

The same issue applies with property until the end of 2003. Most people with any property made money in those preceding years

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Chipper, 6.5% is a pretty poor return for the last 12 months! I’ve done better than 30%!
    And LifeX, yes the overall stockmarket had a flat period while housing was reaching silly heights, but the clever investor could read some pretty simple signs from that and took profit from real estate to invest in shares. Of course, shares will tank at a not too distant point, so the clever investors are starting to shift focus again… any guesses?

@foundation

Sorry Chipper, the 20% CG got past me! Not too bad…

Participant
    @chipper
    Originally posted by woodsman:

Chipper,

One swallow does not a summer make.

How much did they make in the last five years?

The same issue applies with property until the end of 2003. Most people with any property made money in those preceding years

well i’ll ask him what theyve done over the past 5 years.

irrepsective, ive seen the graphs that prove the broad australian housing market does not achieve better returns than the broad australian sharemarket.

you might get lucky and buy in the right location or buy in a bad area like it seems i did.

face facts, a real estate agent has been contracted to sell specific properties and of course they are “all great investments” whereas a stockbroker is not contracted to sell BHP over Coles Myer or whatever. he just goes into the market and buys whats appropriate.

ive done some reading on another forum tonight and learnt quite alot.

think about it, for property to increase in value, the business going on inside the property must also be profitable. and its those businesses inside the property that you buy on the stockmarket.

Participant
    @chipper

well, to answer foundations question about what the syndicate has achieved i just had to ring my mate and find out. also because im getting more and more interested as the night wears on.

he faxed me their valuation statement and i cant decipher it too well but this is pretty clear:

Alinta Gas +37%
    Amcor -7%
    AMP +132%
    Centennial Coal +62%
    CFS Gandel +13%
    Commonwealth Bank +218%
    Commonwealth Property +8%
    David Jones +59%
    DB Reef Trust +11%
    Fosters +22%
    General Property +28%
    ING Office +14%
    Perpetuals ISF +32%
    Platinum +15%
    Qantas +13%
    Suncorp +102%
    Tabcorp +60%
    Telstra +4%
    Westfield +27%

this is just the capital growth and the income that i mentioned before is about 6.5% on current market value but closer to 15% on original purchase price.

can you now see why i am very interested?

Profile photo of Jerzy BalowskiJerzy Balowski
    @jerzy-balowski

Chipper,

I would be very wary of any quote that states that AMP has risen 132% over any period of time.

I had unloaded my AMP shares 5 years ago for $15.90. Now they are around the $7.50 mark. Multiply those figures by 20,000 and imagine your property, worth $318,000 in 2000, and holding on to that property, only for it to be worth $150,000 today.

This scenario is virtually unheard of in real estate, including all the two-tier marketing horror stories, yet it is common in the share market.

At around the same time (2000), NewsCorp shares were valued at around $28.00, only to fall down to a low of $8.00 since then, and recovering now to the low $20’s. Pretty poor for a blue chip investment !

Also, CBA shares have been hovering around the high $20-low $30 mark in the same time, so I cant see how anyone can claim a CG of 218%, unless of course they are stating those figures since the CBA was actually listed on the stock market, well over 10 years ago.

The most positive thing that I can say about my experiences in share investing, is that it gave me a great appreciation for real estate. So, by all means give it a go – I did ! But treat it more like gambling rather than investing, and only put in what you are prepared to lose. I did, and I did.

Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974

AMP have increased substantially (to about $7.90 at th moment) since relisting after the demerger (at $4.30), as have the HHG shares you would have been issued if you held AMP prior to the demerger (risen from $0.88 to $1.55). But i do have to concede that the days of having a ‘set and forget’ porfolio are over.

Don’t be put off by people who have made poor investment decisions in the past. The idea of the borrowing money against your property to invest in shares is a sound one and if researched and managed correctly, you will make big $$$ and it will be very tax effective as well.

Participant
    @chipper

looking at what was faxed to me, they bought AMP at $4.50 about a year ago.

also the CBA was bought at the float and they reinvested dividends for the first few years and bought other parcels along the way.

@foundation
    Originally posted by Jerzy Balowski:

imagine your property, worth $318,000 in 2000, and holding on to that property, only for it to be worth $150,000 today.

This scenario is virtually unheard of in real estate

“Virtually unheard of in real estate”? Try telling that to the Japanese who invested in property prior to 1991 or the San Franciscans or Londoners who invested in 1989! Or for that matter to anybody who tried to sell houses in regional Vic/NSW/Qld in the mid 1990s. I apologise if I always seem negative, but there are some truly ignorant people on this forum who are happy to share their seriously misinformed thoughts.[grrr]

I will be sure to ‘bump’ this back thread back into existence in 24 months time…

Profile photo of mortifsmortifs
    @mortifs

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

I did some research of my own based on some of the replies here. I asked my friend to give me a statement of returns for his other investment groups and they were quite similar to those stated above.

<No soliciting of funds or investors allowed – Derek>

Participant
    @chipper

imagine your property, worth $318,000 in 2000, and holding on to that property, only for it to be worth $150,000 today.

This scenario is virtually unheard of in real estate, including all the two-tier marketing horror stories, yet it is common in the share market.

welli used to be like you once. i was brainwashed to thinking that property was the be all and end all of investing.

your comment reminded me that my sister bought an investment property on the gold coast and even after 5 years she couldnt sell it for any more than she paid for it.

ok, so thats nt as bad as the example you gave, but once you apply the effect of inflation, all her associated costs like council rates, agents fees, stamp duty, repairs and insurance she lost big time on it (and also went 6 months without a tenant a few times in those 5 odd years).

it struck me that you dont have to worry about any of those things when you own shares.

@jerzy-balowski

“Virtually unheard of in real estate”? Try telling that to the Japanese who invested in property prior to 1991 or the San Franciscans or Londoners who invested in 1989!

Foundation, would you like to elaborate ? Did the above investors do their due diligence at the time ? Seeing that I dont have a clue about what you are refering to above, I wont even try to speculate.

Or for that matter to anybody who tried to sell houses in regional Vic/NSW/Qld in the mid 1990s.

Name One ! Are you saying that people could not sell their houses, or are you saying that they actually lost 50% of their value, which is what you are implying by quoting me ? Of course, the property market in some regions would have been flat for a very long time, but to have lost half their value ? I’m sure in extreme cases, it has happened, which is why I did write “Virtually unheard of in real estate”, but I was trying to compare blue-chip shares with blue-chip real estate, whilst you seem to be refering to the other end of the property market. You’re not even comparing Apples with Oranges, but Apples with carrots.

I apologise if I always seem negative, but there are some truly ignorant people on this forum who are happy to share their seriously misinformed thoughts.

I have explicitely stated my own experience with the share market, and compared it in fairly generalised terms with the real estate market over the same period to give everyone a different perspective, which is what these forums are all about. How this can be labelled ignorant and seriously misinformed, is beyond me. If you feel the need to dispute this, at least back your comments up with relevent figures, as I have, and save the vitriol for the cat.

@jerzy-balowski
    Originally posted by Chipper:

welli used to be like you once. i was brainwashed to thinking that property was the be all and end all of investing.

your comment reminded me that my sister bought an investment property on the gold coast and even after 5 years she couldnt sell it for any more than she paid for it.

ok, so thats nt as bad as the example you gave, but once you apply the effect of inflation, all her associated costs like council rates, agents fees, stamp duty, repairs and insurance she lost big time on it (and also went 6 months without a tenant a few times in those 5 odd years).

it struck me that you dont have to worry about any of those things when you own shares.

No worries Chipper. Sorry to hear about your sisters predicament. I can understand your apprehension with real estate, after this type of experience so close to home, and why you would be swayed towards the sharemarket.

I wouldn’t say that I have been brainwashed into thinking property is better than the sharemarket, as I have tried both, and found real estate to be far more lucrative. Horses for courses !

Good luck in your venture.

@foundation

Foundation, would you like to elaborate ? Did the above investors do their due diligence at the time ? Seeing that I dont have a clue about what you are refering to above, I wont even try to speculate.

If you don’t have a clue what I’m talking about, I would suggest that you yourself have not ‘done your due dilligence’ in relation to property investing.

Name One ! Are you saying that people could not sell their houses, or are you saying that they actually lost 50% of their value, which is what you are implying by quoting me ? Of course, the property market in some regions would have been flat for a very long time, but to have lost half their value ? I’m sure in extreme cases, it has happened, which is why I did write “Virtually unheard of in real estate”, but I was trying to compare blue-chip shares with blue-chip real estate, whilst you seem to be refering to the other end of the property market. You’re not even comparing Apples with Oranges, but Apples with carrots.

Sure, some sectors fare better than others in a falling market. Unfortunately most ‘investors’ on this site are looking for cashflow positive properties and where are these found? In small country towns. These same houses were very difficult to shift for many years during the 90s, and those who really needed to sell found that they needed to drop their asking prices – yes, sometimes by 50%.
    At the same time, ‘blue-chip’ real estate was also in the dolrums. Let’s take Melbourne for example. In 1989 the median house price was $183,652, in 1996 it was $182,261 (REIV). Sure, that looks like a slight drop in nominal terms, but in real terms it is a drop of around 24.4% (ABS CPI)! During this time, some suburbs actually increased in nominal value, but plenty fared worse, and the more ‘diverse’ the property investments, the closer to that median of 24.4% the loss.

I have explicitely stated my own experience with the share market, and compared it in fairly generalised terms with the real estate market over the same period to give everyone a different perspective, which is what these forums are all about. How this can be labelled ignorant and seriously misinformed, is beyond me. If you feel the need to dispute this, at least back your comments up with relevent figures, as I have, and save the vitriol for the cat.

Yes, you explicitly stated your own experience, but you didn’t explicitly state that it was just your own experience.
    For what it’s worth, I agree that you can make money buying houses. I have done so myself, but I sold at what I believed was the peak of the market and put a large part of my profit into the undervalued ASX. I have done well from this, and will be moving to the ‘next big thing’ rather soon. Why settle for an average 1.9% above inflation (over the last 30 years, bearing in mind this includes the current bubble!) from property investing or 7% for Australian Shares when with very little effort you can do much better?

Profile photo of zenzen
    @zen

I have been doing shares for over 15 years now. Though the first 10 years I couldn’t say I was investing but more like speculating. But now I am not interested in trading and 85% of my holding is in blue chips. The others are managed funds on small companies. I am seriously want to get into IPs too, still looking around now. My shares is CF+ even with 50% gearing so I don’t mind CF- if I confidence with the future CG.

I have a question about negative gearing in properties. The rental cost has been very flat in Perth for many years? Some might dispute this. If I am gearing into IP will I end up negatively geared for unforseable future? No sign that rent is going up even propertie prices are all time high? Say if an IP is yielding 4% now, will I get 7% in 5 years time?
    While with shares I can see CF- become CF+ in few years in reasonable market.

PS:Not interested in arguing shares or IP is better.

@foundation
    Originally posted by zen:

(1)will I end up negatively geared for unforseable future? No sign that rent is going up even propertie prices are all time high? Say if an IP is yielding 4% now, (2)will I get 7% in 5 years time?

1) Yes.
    2) Only if the CG on your property is around negative 50%! I can’t see incomes rising by 75% which would be the only way you could see a 75% rent increase given the state of the worldwide economy and Australia’s standing on the international stage.

@jerzy-balowski
    Originally posted by foundation:

If you don’t have a clue what I’m talking about, I would suggest that you yourself have not ‘done your due dilligence’ in relation to property investing.

I dont claim to know everything about everything(never have), so please (once again) enlighten me on the fable of the Japanese and San Francicscans. This isn’t another “sucker born every minute story” is it ? I’m certain that I’m not the only one who is unfamiliar with what you are on about. So please share with all of us.

Sure, some sectors fare better than others in a falling market. Unfortunately most ‘investors’ on this site are looking for cashflow positive properties and where are these found? In small country towns. These same houses were very difficult to shift for many years during the 90s, and those who really needed to sell found that they needed to drop their asking prices – yes, sometimes by 50%.
    At the same time, ‘blue-chip’ real estate was also in the dolrums. Let’s take Melbourne for example. In 1989 the median house price was $183,652, in 1996 it was $182,261 (REIV). Sure, that looks like a slight drop in nominal terms, but in real terms it is a drop of around 24.4% (ABS CPI)! During this time, some suburbs actually increased in nominal value, but plenty fared worse, and the more ‘diverse’ the property investments, the closer to that median of 24.4% the loss.

When you start quoting medians, and CPI figures, and all sorts of statistics, you can make them prove (almost) anything. I was simply stating my own experience in straight forward dollar terms. Nothing more nothing less, and I’m not saying that this is the only way of making such a comparison, just a different way. This has somehow offended you to the point that you had to have a go at me. Funny how this has all started from me being curious about someone stating that AMP had a CG of 132%, and being concerned enough about others in this forum to at least question that figure. Perhaps I should refrain from doing so.

Yes, you explicitly stated your own experience, but you didn’t explicitly state that it was just your own experience.

Huh ?

For what it’s worth, I agree that you can make money buying houses. I have done so myself, but I sold at what I believed was the peak of the market and put a large part of my profit into the undervalued ASX. I have done well from this, and will be moving to the ‘next big thing’ rather soon. Why settle for an average 1.9% above inflation (over the last 30 years, bearing in mind this includes the current bubble!) from property investing or 7% for Australian Shares when with very little effort you can do much better?

My original point was that the sharemarket is more volatile than real estate NOT that it is better or worse ! The greater the risk, the greater the reward (WooHoo) and losses(Doh). This may seem obvious to some but not so obvious to others.I dont think I could be anymore clearer. If that has insulted your intelligence, foundation, then that was not the intention. If me hilighting this to others in this forum has upset you, then you clearly have a problem with anyone whose opinion differs from yours. I dont know you, but by your own admission you feel the need to apologise for always seeming to be negative. Says it all really.

Apologies to everyone else in this forum, for allowing this post to get bogged down. It certainly was not my intention.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.