All Topics / Help Needed! / How do I deal with the Council??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of JULES1JULES1
    Participant
    @jules1

I have found a property that I want to purchase and renovate (if costs work out).
    I intend to investigate the mortgage situation later this week. I also intend to have a builder provide me with a building report and advise me on costs of renovating and potential sale costs.

But I know I have to go to the Council as well, and have no idea which area of Council or which type of person at the Council I should deal with and have no idea what I should be aking about. Can anyone assist me please by telling me the steps involved and what the heck I should be looking for?
    (I have been to the Council once and asked what they could tell me about a property, and they gave me a map to look at and were rude and would not assist me. The council person knew I was green. I don’t want to go through this again)
    So I would really appreciate some assistance with the steps and questions
    many thanks in anticipation
    Jules [anxious]

JULES1
    Email Me

Profile photo of eliteviewseliteviews
    @eliteviews

Hi Jules,
    I have done reno’s in the past, can you tell what type of reno it is? If minor you wont need to talk to council at all. If major do all your sums as often it’s not worth it.I like minor reno’s and like to turn them over. If you can give me more info I can give you more help
    Regards
    eliteviews

D.E.Harding

Profile photo of nordicskiernordicskier
    @nordicskier

Is the property a heritage item or in a heritage conservation area?
    Are you doing additions or just internal modifications.
    Are you removing any trees?
    In Albury a minor internal alteration includes replacement of doors, walls, ceiling, floor covering or deteriorating frame members with equivaland or improved materials, reno of bathrooms & kitchen (may need plumbing approval), built in fixtures such as vanities, cupboards, wardrobes. If the alterations affect the structural strength or stability of the building, or
    the room configuration is changesd by wall removal, partitions, or
    reduces window arrnagments for light & ventilation, reduced doorways, or
    involves the enclosure of open or outdoor areas
    then a development application and a construction certificate is needed.
    All plumbing, sewerage or drainagew work is done by a licensed plumber.
    If there is change to the external appearance of the building then a DA is required.

On behalf of all the hardworking Council employees out there trying to keep up with the myriad of changing rules and regulations then I apologise for the poor service you received.

Improve your nordic skiing – become an accredited instructor with http://www.apsi.net.au/nordic

Profile photo of JULES1JULES1
    Participant
    @jules1

Hi Nordicskier
    The house is about 45 years old and I intend to add a room or 2 and fix up the internal completely. I may pull one wall down and put another one up. So major reno job but I think the job is worth it if I can get the property at the right price.

Also what is a DA??

JULES1
    Email Me

Participant
    @jules1

Hi Eliteviews
    Yes the reno would be what I would call major, however I know that the work can be done at a reduced price and I know that the area is a good area and will bring a good sale price when I want to sell. I will sell within 12 months so as to turn the profit over.
    Jules[biggrin]

JULES1
    Email Me

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Hi Jules,

DA stands for development application and the requirements vary from council to council. Standard things that would be required are plans of the proposed additions / work, elevations (side views), structural design if necessary, the environmental ramifications if any etc. You can usually get the DA standard forms and brochures through council by just calling up and will send out to you!

Good luck!

Jan

@nordicskier

Sorry Jules1
    A DA is a Development Application (NSW), ie Planning Permit (Vic).

The age does not indicate heritage status. Watch the trees though. Removal of trees is not always permitted by Council depending on the area.(Threatend Species and all that)
    Check for all possible building constraints from the Council.
    Eg Flooding potential
    Bushfire Risk area or Buffer thereof.
    Good luck. Some of us have to work in offices instead of reno work. (Wouldn’t know which end of the hammer to hold anyhow!)

Improve your nordic skiing – become an accredited instructor with http://www.apsi.net.au/nordic

Participant
    @jules1

Who should I ask for at the Council when I contact them – a Planning Officer?? Sorry for the lame question but I am new to this

thanks

Jules

JULES1
    Email Me

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Jules,

If this is in Melbourne you probably only need a building permit, but it depends on the particulars of the local planning scheme, zoning, overlays etc. If you do only need a buildiung permit your architect/draftsperson will prepare the plans for this.

Council area is shown in the Melways, it is printed in red on the map.

Regards
    Alistair

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Jules,

As Alistair points out, an architect will prepare the docs if necessary and this can also be done in NSW with DA’s. Obviously the cost of this can add up with the preperation and correspondence, so many prefer to do it themselves once they have the plans drawn up.

I would simply ask the town planner what the council requirements are for a DA. They usually refer you to their documentation, however you may luck out and get someone talkative who will discuss your particular circumstances.

Where abouts are you renovating?

Profile photo of eliteviewseliteviews
    @eliteviews

Hi Jules
    As a major reno make sure you do all the sums and then add extras in, I always allow 20% extra as you always run into hassles. Building and pest inspections a must. Good luck and do your sums.
    Regards
    eliteviews

D.E.Harding

@nordicskier

Yep, Straight to the Town Planner. They’ve got the good oil. Another interuption in my day!

Participant
    @jules1

Thanks for your help

Jules

JULES1
    Email Me

Profile photo of LeilaLeila
    @leila

Hi Jules,
    Forgive me if I’m telling you things you already know, but if in Vic the town planning and building permit processes are completely separate at most Councils (silly, I know). This means you will possibly need to consult with someone in each of these departments.

If you want to do some preparation and feel more in control of your interactions with Council, your first step will be to check whether you need a Planning Permit. Don’t forget to check the planning certificate in the Section 32 of your sale contract for the zoning and any planning scheme overlays. You can also then check Zoning and Overlay details at http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/planningschemes – it can be a little time consuming at first, but keep your melway on hand, and you’ll get the hang of it.

Once you’ve got a little info together – i.e. whether or not the property is affected by any overlays, and the type of renovation you’re proposing, this will help you start a conversation with someone at Council – if you didn’t get any help at the desk, it can help to call ahead and try and make an appointment. If the service is really bad, ask to meet with the team leader.

In regard to building permits, your builder can probably provide some advice here. Also, a lot of Councils have lists on their websites of items requiring a building permit – Whitehorse Council is a good example of this. Start with the list and then ring with any queries. Just remember that for building permits it’s not mandatory to go to Council. This can be done via a private building surveyor in Vic, and you may find one of these more helpful than Council because they will want your business. Maybe someone on the forum can recommend a good building surveyor for you?

Good luck and let me know if I can help with any advice – it’s taken me a lot of learning and being ridiculed for asking the ‘dumb’ questions – particularly about town planning – to get my head around this system and I’m happy to share what I’ve learnt.

Leila

Participant
    @jules1

Leila
    thanks for the advice and I’ll try the website.. Thats a good link.

cheers
    Jules[angel]

JULES1
    Email Me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.