All Topics / Help Needed! / Set up a Trust?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of ascendingascending
    Participant
    @ascending

I will be buying my first IP within the next year and will be looking mainly at lease/purchase options.
    Should I set up a trust? Is this the best way to minimise tax and risk? If so, where do I go to set one up (I live on the Gold Coast)and approximately how much would it cost? Is it better to set it up just before I ourchase the first property or should I do it now to save hassles down the road? Are there different types of trust and if so which ine would be best for me? Are there any good websites with the relevant information on trusts in Australia?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

you will have to setup your trust before you sign contracts. Trusts can minimise tax, but not risk. Trusts cost as little as $175 setup. http://www.cleardocs.com.au or http://www.lawcentral.com.au
    You are probably after a Discretionary trust.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig

Perhaps the best information about Australian trusts for property investors is in Dale Gatherum-Goss’s book “Trust Magic”. You can order it via his Website:

http://www.gatherumgoss.com/shopping.htm

Nick Renton’s book on Family Trusts is good too, but rather dry reading.

There is a little basic info I’ve seen on the Net, but the books are more detailed.

Basically, from my understanding, there are three types of trusts: a discretionary trust, a unit trust, and a hybrid trust. The latter is a combination of the first two.

Discretionary trusts are generally favoured for property investors because of the asset protection and tax advantages they provide. Hybrid trusts are good if you intend to negatively gear the portfolio, especially if the borrower is a high income earner. When no units are on issue from a hybrid trust, it is essentially the same as a discretionary trust.

Whether you want a trust at all would depend somewhat on your circumstances. You should seek advice from a property-savvy accountant. I gather a lot of other accountants are not always in favour of using trusts. My accountant tried to put me off the idea when I first mentioned it to him.

You don’t necessarily need to find an accountant near you. A number of people on these forums use people like Dale even though they (literally in a few cases) live half a world away.

Dale’s in Melbourne and frequents the Somersoft property forums. Another in Sydney is Nick Moustacas at http://www.strategicwealth.com.au. And in Queensland is Julia Hartman at http://www.bantacs.com.au, a member of this forum.

GP

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin
    Originally posted by GreatPig:

Discretionary trusts are generally favoured for property investors because of the asset protection and tax advantages they provide.

Am I right in saying that the asset protection comes not from the Discretionary trust but from having a corporate trusee for that trust?

I know I can, I know I can

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

The real protection comes from the trust. It’s just easier to replace (fire) a corporate truste rather than an indvidual.
    (manily because a company has limited liability where as an indvidual has unlimited liability). But as I said before the real protection comes from the trust.

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

@greatpig
    Originally posted by gramyre:

Am I right in saying that the asset protection comes not from the Discretionary trust but from having a corporate trusee for that trust?

Further to Lucifer_au’s response, a corporate trustee is more to protect the trust managers than the trust assets. As it’s the trustee who’s most at risk of being sued, it’s better if it’s a $2 company than an individual – although there is still some risk to the directors of that company.

GP

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru

As GreatPig has talked about all the trust. best to get hybrid trust. It will cost you about $1300 to set up and if you company as trustee add $1000 more to it.

Cheers
    PropertyGuRu [sultan]
    Mortgage Consultant
    [email protected]

NZ loan pre approval from Australia in 48 hours

Profile photo of greyingwisemangreyingwiseman
    @greyingwiseman

Setting up a family trust is the way I have gone, if you want more info, there is a book by Nick Renton called All You Need To Know About Family Trusts, a website to order the legals at http://www.alshelf.com.au hope this helps.

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

I have just had the cost of $2700 for a Hybrid Discretionary Trust with corporate trustee by Gatherum-Goss (previously mentioned by GreatPig).

However, you could set up your own pty ltd company without accountants’ charge for minimal amounts, other then the statutory charges (www.incorporator.com.au)

James

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

It’s worth paying for good advice and getting the job done properly. Don’t try and cut corners. I’m using Dale’s mob to set mine up at the moment. Wish I’d done it a few years ago, but c’est la vie.

cheers
    r

@greatpig
    Originally posted by georgisj:

I have just had the cost of $2700 for a Hybrid Discretionary Trust with corporate trustee by Gatherum-Goss

That’s similar to what I paid for the same thing, although not from G-G.

GP

Profile photo of lbglenlbglen
    Participant
    @lbglen

Can benefits from a trust be realised if it is only the first investment property?

Also, where does the rent go? Do you setup an account owned by the trust? And do you pay for maintenance, etc. from this account?

Regards,
    Linden Glen

Profile photo of myoungmyoung
    @myoung

Trusts operate basically like normal companies, except profits cannot be retained in the trust and must be dispersed(paid) to the beneficiaries annually. So in answer to your question you would open a bank account for the trust and rent would be paid into it, loans would generally be in the trusts name(although most likely guaranteed by your personal assets, unless you have a sizable deposit for your IP). Any profits can then be distributed to various family members etc(beneficiaries) to minimise tax, eg, keep money in lower tax brackets.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of lbglenlbglen
    Participant
    @lbglen

Thanks myoung,

Can you make payments from the trust sooner than anually? ie. weekly or monthly?

Regards,
    Linden Glen

Profile photo of magicdanmagicdan
    @magicdan

HI All

Just wanted to confirm what TerryW said – I used http://www.cleardocs.com to create both a Trust and a Company, and it was really simple and very cost effective.

All their Trusts are only $137.50, and the company was $937.50. You can even lodge the conmpany electronically, online – so you get everything straight away (which I don’t think incorporator.com can do).

You needed to have a little bit of knowledge, but if you dig around on this site for while, you should have more than enough info.

Just thought I’d feed that back.

magicdan [cigar]

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

Has anyone set up a hybrid discretionary trust on-line? I havent been able to find this on cleardocs or lawcentral.

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of myoungmyoung
    @myoung

lbgeln,
    I’m not sure why you want to or how often you can make payments. From what I know trusts basically operate like normal companies, except the major difference being, that a normal company can retain profits over financial years, whereas a trust MUST pay all profits to the unit holders of the trust for the FY(ie family members) who then pay normal income tax on those profits(or get tax rebates depending on which tax bracket they are in). With my limited knowledge on the subject, it is beneficial for spreading income to keep it in lower tax brackets. From this perspective you can do similiar things with a normal company through planning who holds the shares, while being able to retain profits in the company over multiple financial years.

All this being said I am definately no expert in trust structures, but have picked up a little when I investigated it a few years back for my own purposes, I chose a normal pty ltd company but I wasn’t using it for property investment at the time. I’m thinking about it now though as I have accumulated tax credits I can now have some tax free income against.

@greatpig
    Originally posted by myoung:

a normal company can retain profits over financial years, whereas a trust MUST pay all profits to the unit holders of the trust for the FY

My understanding is that if a hybrid trust has unit holders then profits have to be distributed to them, otherwise the profits can be retained in the trust but are taxed at the top rate.

GP

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.