All Topics / Help Needed! / to invest as Pty Ltd or individual?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of jeffjeffjeffjeff
    @jeffjeff

Hi. Any comments on the preferred structure to operate an investing concern? Would it be better to trade under a company structure or have assets held in an individual’s name? (It’s the same individual anyway ;-)

What would the ramifications be if I was to transfer ownership of (investment) property from one to the other at a later point?

Comments regarding ease of obtaining finance under both systems would be useful too…

Thanks,
    Jeff.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Jeff

the problem with a company structure is a company doesn’t get the 50% discount on Capital gains tax. It think the better structures would be either in own name or in a trust structure. Often it also depends on the type of property you are buying, for example do you want to negatively gear the property losses again you personal income you maybe better buying it in your own name???? It comes down to each situation is different. Look throughout this forum for topics on trusts.

Regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Neither – look at trusts.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Terry took the words out of my mouth.

PTY LTD has no advantages.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

3 year fixed rate – 6.85%

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of AbbyAbby
    Participant
    @abby

Hi all
    I attended the Perth Masterclass on the weekend and subsequently have been looking through here for topics on trusts. At the seminar, Steve discussed having a (parent) company over (in their case) family trusts. Can someone please explain what the necessity of having a company as against having only the trust/s in place? What is the relationship of the company to the trust? Do companies/trusts require new (separate) ABN and TFN’s?
    Thanks in advance
    Abby

Profile photo of catacata
    Participant
    @cata

Abby

A trustee is liabile for anything that goes on in the trust and therefor is able ot be sued. If you are the trustee then that makes you liable. If there is a $2 non-trading company(with no trading history) as trustee then all that is at stake is $2. Not worth sueing for.
    Yes they need TFN, and an ABN if the trade.
    CATA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.