All Topics / Finance / Leap-frog Strategy. Is this advisable?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Hi all,
    I’ ve been thinking of following the process below once we have made more headway in the equity in our PPOR, and thought to just seek some guidance from those in the business of lending money.

Leap-frogging to IPs

Assumptions:
    1. Your owner occupied (O/O) value $200K, existing loan (down the track) $100K
    2. You purchase investment property value $250K
    3. Lets assume serviceability is not the issue and that we only want to achieve an LVR of 80%

This is what I am considering doing:
    1. Take out LOC for $80K against PPOR = 80% LVR
    2. pay deposit (20%) + costs for IP = approx $63K
    3. Take out 80% loan = $200K secured only by IP (stand alone security)

This way I avoid cross-collateralisation of our properties and you still have enough money left in your LOC to purchase another IP (provided you have the serviceability).

What are your thoughts?.[blush2]

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Hi Calvin,
    This is a good strategy, and its used by many investors, this structure will work with either an offset or a LOC or both.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

[email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au
    Ph:0402483216
    Ph:1800 820 500
    VICTORIA

PLEASE note comments made should not be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I agree that it is a good strategy, but one minor point with your example.

If you PPOR is valued at $200,000, then 80% is $160,000 less your current loan of $100,000 = $60,000 in equity available. I am not sure you understood the equity available is 80% less the current loan on that property, as your example had a $63,000 deposit which was more than the available equity.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Thanx Steve,
    this offset account would entail me banking with one finacial institution, correct?
    Currently we bank with CBA (because they’ve been good to us) but, because of my employers Home Purchase Plan, the mortgage is with another Lender. It’s a bit messy, but our intent is to be here for 6 months and work on debt reduction to overcome the financial ‘Sin’ of instant gratification. Then it’s upwards and onwards! I may have to go with the lender of my current mortgage as my employer pays for 80% of the interest that our mortgage incurrs and I’d be a fool to give that up easily.

Cheers

C@34

Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Terryw,

of corse you are correct! Minor glitch in the mental calculations. The numbers were taken from the vast depth of my mind (except the value of the PPOR and the Mortgage) and I tried to illustrate my thoughts.
    Not original, but I had to work them out none-the-less as I don’t recall any-one spelling them out like this before.
    I thank you for the correction, I now have something to work with.

Thanx again

Cheers

C@34

@mobile-mortgage

Hi Calvin,
    Yes you are correct; the offset would have to be linked to the mortgage,
    BTW, That is a fantastic deal your getting with your employer,
    Cheers.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

[email protected]
    VICTORIA

PLEASE note comments made should not be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice.

Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Its the only reason I left my last employer!
    I used to work for a bus contracting company and helped the owner build his busines to twice its original size. I feel as though I own pert of it (even though I don’t). Made me feel good to know how much effect I can have on a business.
    BTW, the owner is doing very well financially and he is my mentor, so to speak (and unofficial). We have a good relationship and I have left on good terms. I knew that he wouldn’t be able to afford to give me the same perks and so I had to make a hard call.

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by calvin@thirty4:

Currently we bank with CBA (because they’ve been good to us) but, because of my employers Home Purchase Plan, the mortgage is with another Lender.

Hi Calvin,

Your proposed strategy is exactly the same as the one we currently employ. Once you have your LOC set up as you propose there is nothing to stop you going to ‘anybank’ as distinct to staying with ‘which bank’ to get the balance of your loan funds.

In fact a good broker will be able to line your short and long term needs with a lender that is more favourable to your personal situation and goals so that your total borrowing capacity is maximised.

In our situation our core banking is with Westpac but we have other loans with other institutions Ie simplistically 20% (edit inserted or 10% depending upon your strategy and beliefs)+ costs from Westpac LOC and remaining funds from lender X or Y or Z.

Offset account (against PPOR receives all income) and electronic deposits and withdrawals maintain the comings and goings of the accounts and the various transactions. This helps us reduce our monthly non-deductible interest bill with the assistance of rental income received.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of steve3556steve3556
    @steve3556

Thanks you guys

Calvin for putting up that great leap frogging example and thanks to Steve, Terry & Derek for the great answers

I learnt a lot!![biggrin]

Steve

Participant
    @calvin_thirty4
    Offset account (against PPOR receives all income) and electronic deposits and withdrawals maintain the comings and goings of the accounts and the various transactions. This helps us reduce our monthly non-deductible interest bill with the assistance of rental income received

Derek, just to paraphrase: Our current mortgage is with ANZ Bank. An offset account would then be with ANZ although other mortgages could be with what ever bank gives us the best deal at the time.
    All rent payments go into the offset account (including our wages) and all mortgage repayments come out of the offset account, irrelevant as to the Lender.
    All interest accrued by the offset account then helps pay our PPOR mortgage further reducing our loan (ontop of our actual mortgage repayments).

Correct so far?

In our situation our core banking is with Westpac but we have other loans with other institutions Ie simplistically 20% (edit inserted or 10% depending upon your strategy and beliefs

Call me stupid but I don’t understand this. Just when I thought I knew enough to set up my empire, I learn a whole lot of new stuff. Just goes to show, you never know everything!

Thanx for that light Derek and others. Bring on more!

Cheers

C@34

@mobile-mortgage

Hi Calvin,
    Another option to consider,
    Organise a split loan with redraw and an offset attached to the investment split, No need for a LOC,
    In normal circumstances the offset is attached to the non-deductible portion of the loan, but in this case you may want to take advantage of your employer paying 80% of the interest on your PPR debt.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

[email protected]
    VICTORIA

Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Hi Steven,

In normal circumstances the offset is attached to the non-deductible portion of the loan, but in this case you may want to take advantage of your employer paying 80% of the interest on your PPR debt.

would it not be in my best interes to still do it the normal way and pay off all the non-deductible interest despite my employers efforts?
    I can then use the equity in our PPOR to buy another IP faster? Would that not be better? I like your advice but my wharped sense of logic doesn’t get it. See then the new mortgage again is tax deductible, yes? As it is used for making more money (as in the purpose of the loan is for making more money).
    Am I on the right track here?

Cheers

C@34

@mobile-mortgage

Hi Calvin,
    Your situation is fairly unique, think about which option offers the greater benefit,
    is it the 80% discount you currently receive on your PPR mortgage, or is it the deductions you will receive on an investment loan?

In both scenarios you are paying down debt to release equity for use as deposits on further investment, which portion of the split loan you decide to concentrate on paying down First will depend on the answers to the above, Cheers.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

[email protected]
    VICTORIA

Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Thanx Steve,

more food for thought!

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Calvin…

Can you get your ‘boss’ to talk to ‘my boss’…hey, does your boss wanna beeee my boss?

Great deal and good on you..

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    In our situation our core banking is with Westpac but we have other loans with other institutions Ie simplistically 20% (edit inserted or 10% depending upon your strategy and beliefs

Call me stupid but I don’t understand this. Just when I thought I knew enough to set up my empire, I learn a whole lot of new stuff. Just goes to show, you never know everything!
    [/quote]

Hi Calvin,

By way of numbered example – assume we had have available $100K in a LOC (with Westpac) and saw four $100K properties we wanted to purchase.

It would be possible, in an extreme example, to go to four different lenders and say ‘I have $20K deposit + $5K closing costs’ I want a loan for the remaining $80K.

As to whether or not this structure and approach suits you that is where a good broker can enter the picture. They will be able to assist you set up a structure that is consistent with your goals and financial constraints/opportunities that will serve you well into the future. Spend a bit of time getting ‘it right’ now and you’ll save yourself some heartache and money later.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.